1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Petiton: the reformation of the moderator system and new moderators

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by panchoman, Oct 30, 2007.

?

Are More Moderators Needed/More Active Moderators?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I do not agree to this petition. I think the mods that are currently active are enough. They do the job and do it with great fulfillment.

Maybe a need to appoint only a few new mods but to totally reconstruct members to moderator status would be uncalled for and unjustified.

PS: Post count is almost 666 OH NO! :p
  2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I agree to disagree
  3. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a good episode...teaser for the next one looks awesome too. Enjoy when you watch :toast:
  4. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    spud to chew on guys ... Yes we have some people that are inactive and I have been on the look out for replacements and I have also PM'ed a few people about the possibility of becoming part of the staff. We have a unique community in all aspects from culture to maturity with attitude to fortitude. But to be totally honest some can be total assholes, while others would give you the shirt off their back to help... I like everyone I've never met and my first impression is a lasting one... I would hope those that are looking to be a mod or just those who want to help, direct their efforts to the support forums, that laddies and lassies is where we need the help the most, reporting posts and becoming part of the community in a manner that makes you stand out is much more rewarding than being a moderator... that is what's needed, more Hookeys and D44ves, Linkins, Dolfs, along with a whole cast of others to carry on in a much more valuable roll...

This also gives me an opportunity to thanks those on the staff that do take their personal time to try to make TPU a better place for all of us ... :toast:
  5. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    thanks for letting us know what you thinking :)
    and thanks for all the mods (and the other staff) for making tpu suck a good place
  6. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    i vote we take away ricks right to post, his iq is to low to post here, or maby its his maturity level, meh eather way i just think hes jelous that zek is a mod and hes not.
  7. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow. That was mature :).
    Ten points for using spell check. :laugh:
  8. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    lol
    rick wrong, but that's not helping either :p
    ps: update your sys specs ;)
    SpoonMuffin says thanks.
  9. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I didn't think there was a dire need for more mods at this site. . .
    I don't think we get that many issues here.
    I mean I don't see any deleberate hate threads like I've seen at Sapphire Forums where people have blatantly attacked a mod.

And from what I've seen of the current mods, there aren't power trippers so I vote no and keep up the fine moderating.
  10. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey, hes being a twat as normal isnt it?

and i thought i would inject a little hummor into the situation since some smucks cant read the first post and comprehend whats being said.....(worlds full of stupid people, why do so many of them have to have internet access?)

updated specs :)
  11. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Please be civil. I suppose this is a touchy subject considering the amount of tension in this thread. Please everyone, cut each other some slack, step back, and try to treat each other with respect and dignity. It really is a much more enjoyable way to behave.

It's kind of sad how cruel and petty you people can be to each other.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
    erocker and JC316 say thanks.
  12. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    i like it the way it is. dont change a thing.

TPU :rockout:

:toast:
  13. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    y'know, after chillin for the last couple of hours, coming back to this thread is like looking at start of the US/IRAQ war . . . not quite sure what happened, who started what, but the results are kinda nasty . . .

anyhow - I think a few more mods for certain sections might be beneficial, at least the sub-forums that really need the extra help because of how fast posts fly up, like, the GN forum, the news articles forum (a lot of threads seem to start teetering on becoming flame wars and full-blown arguments), etc.

y'know, though, I think having a few younger mods is also good for the community as a whole . . . they're going to look at a situation a lot differently than someone 2-3x their own age. Also, it might not be a bad idea to have one or two mods that are relatively new to TPU compared to the rest of the regular users, but who have shown a commitment to wanting to stick around, and a general commitment to try and help others and the community as a whole.

asides, whatever, I've alread made my other recommendation in the first coupla pages here. I persoanlly think the TPU system seems to be functioning fine, but I don't think it'd be a bad idea to try and optimize it some more, either.
  14. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Moderators may have a lot of posts and threads to read but we do remember members that are helpful and bring something positive to the forums. Often I quickly forget those who made a mistake and break a rule. I remember helpful members much longer.
  15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Very well put, and I do agree with your points. For me, helping others is my goal on TPU alongside learning something new. I think you guys are doing a good job as I said in my previous post on the last page, and I see and believe your staff is going a great job at present. To me you convey little to no stress of being "understaffed". To me that's a good thing. There will always be these threads about mods/becoming a mod, I'm sure damn near everyone would want to be, but, at the same time it's not necessarily a position that's just about having power, I know there's plenty more than a title and power.

Some may never know, I have never personally modded a forum, and don't feel I'm missing out. I spend a lot of time on TPU, for me at least, and it's a pretty stress free, enjoyable experience IMO. If I had to make decisions, and explain actions, take expected actions, get heat for actions, etc, I think it may ruin a good experience and would definately change my perspective of TPU, and possibly not for the better. TPU is awesome, and I know you guys will make the proper decisions whether it's infractions or filling staff positions. As a user I thank you guys for creating such a kickass place to be on the web, as a member for just over 1 year (by a couple of weeks) I have learned a lot and will continue my goal of helping others when possible, and I hope to continue that trend for the years to come.

TPU is awesome, but those of you users out there, I have a quesiton:

Would becoming a Mod really make your TPU experience better? What do you think you could do as a Mod to make it better for the masses?

TPU FTW! :rockout:
  16. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    can you name 10?

:p

j/k

LOL
  17. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Every thing is ok only change needed is a little less profanity after all this is becoming a more respected web site. And face it some of you shits cuss too much:roll:
  18. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    same here - I enjoy being one of the many "up-start" underlings that just has to have their say in stuff . . . even if I was ever asked on any forum to be a mod, I'd want to know that admins reasonings as to why they think I should be first, and that still doesn't mean I'd accept it.

that attitude kinda evolved from the first forum I ever joined up on, and still post in every now and then.

either way, I think I'm about done with this thread - the underlings have voiced their opinions, and the mods and admins will do what's best for TPU, and that's the way it should be
  19. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Meh, I moderate Ashentech, even though we don't have a whole lot of traffic, it's nothing special.

Anyone with good judgement can do the job, which is why I don't understand why it seems so prestigeous. I just know that there have been times when I need a thread title changed, or something needs to be stickied, no mods were there and I had to bug a supermod.
    SpoonMuffin says thanks.
  20. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I didn't vote. I would like the idea of new mods, but by the same token, I think things are going fine at these forums. Perhaps replacing inactive mods may be in order? I don't think anything drastic is needed.
  21. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    good morning guys. yes, i asked pancho to post this thread.

he came to me on messenger and had a couple of suggestions, so i wanted to hear what the rest of you thinks.
    erocker says thanks.
  22. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    abd what's your decision? :)
  23. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:

Thanks m8, tbh, I enjoy coming on here to help others and recieve help. This forum has taught me so much and Im more then happy to share back that knowledge. I still think that we have the best 'tech' community on the net, without a doubt! :D

So hopefully any future decisions will be made for the good of our beloved TPU :)
  24. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Agreed 100% :toast:
  25. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My humble opionion (for anyone who cares ;) ) ...

Number of Mods : I think current number of Mods is fine. They do a good job of policing and participation in many thread.

Mods' expertise : I think that expecting a Mod to be an expert, or even interested, in all realms of this forum is unrealistic. Mods' are no different than anyone else, and if you try to make them the perverbial "jack of all trades" you will find there overall quality of posts will decrease. Specialization, and thus greater experience, is at the heart of computer technology.

Mods' posting habits : I think the fact that Mods regularly add non-sequitur, or goofy posts to various threads adds to the overall light hearted attitude of TPU. This is how the relax and shrug off the stress of their day, just like everyone else.

I think that W1z is capable of knowing when the number of Mods needs adjusting in either direction. I also think that the regular communication between him and the Mods keeps the forums running smoothly and relatively trouble free. There is the occasional problem, but I feel they are dealt with in an expediant manner.

As a suggestion, perhaps what is needed is more people to help with some of the underlying aspects of the forum itself, such as more people to assist in collecting patches, demos, utilitiy files, etc. (I have no idea how much space W1z wants to use for these types of things, hoever.), and perhaps maintaining current database content and the like.

Just my 2 cents.