1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

phase change?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by freeboy, Oct 30, 2007.

1. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    This seems interesting but too freakin expensive

? how do poeple who actually own and installed their phase change systems like them?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    ??? :confused:

What are you trying to ask exactly, I don't get the first paragragh??

3. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    ? how do poeple who actually own and installed their phase change systems like them?

4. mitsirfishi

mitsirfishi New Member

Thanks Received:
    all it basically is it a big flat copper surface on your cpu with foam round it to stop all the crystalization from condensing at room temperature with a a big series of pipes :p with a huge thing what looks like a transformer id rather just get a block and some liquid h20 if you want to go cheaper to get good cooling you get a water cooling and a peilter :) still get good temps off them proving you do everything right :)

5. Nothgrin New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can get a Prometia Mach II GT for about 1K which would get you around -35deg C... The key to having one is having enough money to get one... Installing them is quite like installing an external water cooling system. It usually means boring a hole through your case for the pipe and setting up lots of thermostats throughout your system for overclocking purposes. The systems come premade so you dont have to load the coolers with ammonia or Liquid Nitrogen.

6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  7. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    $350...

At that rate you should just start getting the parts for a TEC system.

Phase is great, but its expensive!

8. Nothgrin New Member

Thanks Received:
    TEC systems require lots of power. Ebay has some 300+ watt TECs you may want to install yourself. Although you may want a power supply with 1K+ wattage...

9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Nah, just buy a Mean Well 300W Aux psu. Can be had for about $90 new, but you have to use a relay with them. http://www.crazypc.com/products/7250.html

10. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    can u run A Tec rig 24/7 ? I know for a fact u can run phase 24/7:toast:I did for over a year;)

11. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    OK, back to the origonal >

Does anyone here use a pre built phase change? do they like it?

13. mitsirfishi

mitsirfishi New Member

Thanks Received:
    a 170watt tec/peltier cooling is more than enough on a cpu really

14. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Yes I do ...I have a Vapochill LS and its the best for extreem cooling ....I love it and for me nothing can compare!I still have it on my s754 rig and works beautifully!:toast:

freeboy says thanks.
  15. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    I was looking at that, with the AC so I do not have to power from the PS, I have a Hot designed mobo, they where thinking air cooled cpu's.. in my P5K-e... so now on water I blow air directly from the side to the area around the cpu to cool those parts plus added front fans etc..

? how much flex does the cable have.. I do not want to lose my monster mod case, but cutting is ok!

16. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    eh, you know I am selling my setup.... You cant beat it... not very many better than my setup. Check it out in the FS forums

17. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    dude, link please? There are hundreds of posts , I went through three pages looking for one you started!

18. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    freeboy, d44ve does have a phase for sale $800 and that unit he's selling goes for $1100+..And d44ve is a reputable guy around here and I believe e-bay as well:toast:

19. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    yep found and covered thanks

20. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    back on track, DRDNA, how much flex is the in the "cable" to the cpu?

21. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    yes but mines old and modified a vapochill classic I got of fleabay for 200$, newer units don't need modification and run alot cooler. and yes the mach2gt is 1000$, but the vapochill lightspeed can be had of the egg for 650$ (and it already comes with everything, no need for a socket kit or led screen add on)

all in all, mine is a little more hassle than it's worth, the newer ones are easier to install and don't run into wattage problems. I can keep my cpu at -5c load at 150w, anything past 150, the unit fails to cool. the vapochill LS on the other hand cools 200watts at -33c, much better.

pros:
    best cooling for a 24/7 solution
    runs really cold
    better overclocks than water or tec
    more reliable than tec cooling
    cools well independant of ambinet (unlike water which still relies greatly on ambient)
    quieter than most watercooling

cons:
    expensive
    2 minute increase in startup time (as the unit has to reach temp before the rig can start)*most annoying part*
    bulky additon to case
    complicated install

22. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    I am going to first do a out of case bath mod in which I loop my vynal tubing into a bath ot cooled water,, I am trying to thing of the best way to stabalize the bath, AND had a removable coolant that I can cold(hot) swap for a zrozen item.. think a small cooler with ice as the simplest picture and my water cooled tubing running in and out.. where the ice cools the outside of the vinal, thus cooling my coolant, which the system, closed, pumps round and round. I have a cheap but reletively effective Corsair Natualis 500.

After I mod this and get to the 4000 stable platau, I will look at phase change as a perment addition! thanks!..
    Not the guy abouve in the link that droped dry ice in a pepsi(coke?) can onto his cpu.. too funnylol!

23. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    freeboy , there is plenty of Flex...I wouldnt see where its an issue...And you can mod a tower no problem ..ones small square cut out on the side bootom (left) near the rear of the tower..four drill holes for mounting bolts and wala good to go...And I did purchase threw frozencpu.com:toast:

PS i will try and add some of the pics I took Of the installation l8ter today

24. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    these are all I have left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    wheres the dry ice in a pop can? id like to see that. cant beleive i never happened across it with all the time ive wasted in there.........

have fun with your experiment.

:toast: