1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

phenom 9500 performance issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hat, Mar 21, 2009.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I just bought a phenom 9500 for $50 and it didn't work properly with the overclocking options in my old dfi board, so I got an am2+ board. One of the problems running in the dfi board (regular am2, not am2+) was performance. BF2 ran at about average 30fps, where when I stuck my old athlon64 x2 5200+ in it ran at 60 solid again. I figured that when I got my am2+ board this performance issue would be resolved, however it was not.

so far I have overclocked my phenom to 2.65GHz, and even at 2.65GHz BF2 gets 35fps average (30fps average at 2.2ghz). there is apparantly a problem here because my old athlon64 x2 5200+ ran bf2 at 60fps solid at it's stock speed of 2.6ghz. something is wrong when a 2.6ghz dual core beats a 2.65ghz quad core.

I'm thinking maybe it was TLB patched. How can I undo the patch? Perhaps my processor just rolled out of the factory with mental retardation? help me out brothers (and sisters)

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    i hope u didnt sell your old board as it is way better than ur current one, even considering that is only am2 not am2+,

3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    this thread is about performance issues with my 9500, not my motherboards

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    50$ Phenom 9500 that is amazing price.

5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    can anyone actually help me?

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    are your graphics card the same in both systems?

hat says thanks.
  7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    yes, the only thing I changed is motherboard and cpu. the system I am running is in my specs to the left. still got my 9800gt, 4gb ram etc.

at first I dropped the 9500 in my am2 board and I couldn't use overclocking options in the BIOS and performance sucked (30fps in bf2 as said above). I just got my am2+ board and the overclocking options work as they should but bf2 performance is still poor, even at 2.65ghz which is faster than my old x2 which was 2.6ghz, and at that speed it ran bf2 flawlessly and even stepped up to Crysis, however I fail to see why my quad is phailing now at 2.65ghz, that's what this thread is about

I found a tlb patch disabler thing, trying that now

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    aha, nevermind I solved it. it's the damn TLB patch. all I have to do is run this tlb disabler thing every time I boot windows. full 60fps even at stock 2.2ghz (drops to 59 every once in a while)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    true, the tlb patch reduces the performance in 20 - 25 %, nice that you fix it but, still IMO you should keep using the dfi board or sell it to a old amd fan and buy a 790x board ;)

10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I'm giving the dfi board back to my uncle. Basically he gave me a athlon64 x2, 2gb ddr2, pci-e x1800xl, case, and the dfi board (the dfi board he didn't just GIVE me because he didn't actually have it, we ordered it from newegg, I paid $120 and he paid $40 on it). I would have sold the dfi board to him for $60 but then I remembered what he did for me and gave it to him for $20.

And I'm keeping my tforce board. I still have $280, and that time I had $360, and before that I had $420. Hell I could have gotten an intel quad machine but the phenom 9500 was too cheap to pass up, but then my dfi board couldn't overclocked it so I picked up a cheap, but good am2+ board. I don't regret it. If I wanted to I could probably still move to intel with my $280 but I don't have a job or any other soruce of income and I would like to hold on to it...

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    BF2 may not really benefit from having four processors. It may be ready for HyperThreading, but that takes it to two. Your X2 5600 enjoys a much higher clock speed per core, and more amount of available L2 cache (which BTW is faster than the L3 cache on Phenom). You can try locking the BF2.exe process to two cores (odd or even (0 & 2 or 1 & 3)) and check again. To do so, use TaskManager, set affinity.

12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    yeah I know bf2 won't benefit from quads. but other games I have, like crysis, will, and so will F@H and various video editing programs I sometimes use. besides, at 2.6ghz quad and 2.6ghz dual, the quad should be faster even in bf2 just because of the fact that quads handle multiple processes better. that and phenom is faster than athlon clock for clock.

besides, I hope to overclock to 3GHz with this cpu, something I couldn't do with my F2 stepping athlon.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    im not trying to put you down but get a 9500 phenom to 3ghz is going to be a pretty tough feat as are very, very bad ocers and with that mobo... :shadedshu. anyway good luck :toast:

here is the world oc of a phenom 9500 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=364360.

see that the mobo is one of the best amd motherboard and barely pass the 3ghz mark, so in that mobo u have i think that ur max oc will be 2.8 with A LOT OF LUCK

14. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I fail to see what's so horrendously terrible about my motherboard?

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    is nothing bad just that i have had bad experiences with biostar before and change a damn good dfi mobo for the new one u have... i dont know, its not my decision but if i were u i wont have change the mobo. i would have stick with dfi

16. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Bisotar has been good lately, espically with the t-series boards. It was cheap (only $80), gives my all the oc options I need, got me to 2.65ghz already and with the integrated 8100, I can drop physx on that instead on my 9800gt and gain a bit of performance that way.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hat thats nice overclocks on your 9800GT. I cant get my shader core over 1600 without artifacts. My core wont go over 660 and my memory will go to 1030 easily...any advice or just a weak card. Interested in this thread as I recently got my X3 8750 BE from Darknova on these forums and I too have gone from an X2 an F3 6000 windsor core. Been playing all weekend with it as I'm only using stock cooler at the minute. Started off very promising but then got stability problems and had to back down and start again. Currently have it running stable at 3.1 on the first two cores and 3.0 on the third at 1.4125 v. Still having bad game performance though and I just cannot pinpoint what it is in my system thats causing it, I only game at 1280 x 1024. Good luck with this I shall keep viewing :)

18. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    you do not have to worry about the tlb patch, amd has fixed the issue alltogeather with any xx50 processor (and phenom 2 of course). I overclock through the bios, I do not oc cores seperately nor do I use software overclocking programs unless I'm ocing my video card... and after I find good clocks I flash my video card's bios.

video cards go as far as they go, you must just have been unlucky when you ordered your card.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could you possibly do me a favour and check your stock performance in gears of war and rainbow six vegas 2?

20. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I have neither of those games... sorry.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    no probs mate

22. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    hat, 9500 is a decent cpu, but its very buggy. Read up on my threads and I have even posted a comparison of BF2 scores (have to dig it up tho).

Other thing is its buggy memory controller, atleast in my old one. I cannot put 4 x 2gb same speed and same brand mem sticks. BSOD BSOD BSOD Stock clock or over volted OC anything. The machine will be fine with 6GB. This I have seen with W2K3 32 EE and 64EE and XP pro 64. With Xp pro 32bit no problem. Can even OC to 2.7Ghz at default voltage.

After so much of hastle finally called AMD and they decided to give me a RMA. Luckily I bought an extended warranty for my cpu from Frys. So took the RMA and had to wait for them to test and approve my replacement. Frys still had a 9550 Retail chip and they replaced my chip with that. Ever since the 8GB problem went away. I can even mix up sticks of different speeds. I have troubleshooted with 4 different mobos. Same thing.

So if possible get the bug fixed phenom (if u still have time to return the cpu). Somebody here was selling something for cheap.

may be i got a real bad one. If you can put in 2 more 2 gb sticks and 64 bit and see if its stable with all programs you install.

my 2 cents.

23. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I only have 2 2gb sticks so I think I've avoided that one. we'll see how it pans out.

Crunching for Team TPU