1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phenom 9850 seems pretty hot at idle

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by rast4man, Mar 7, 2009.

1. rast4man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I put a Phenom 9850 with a Xigmatech S1283 Cooler on a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H mobo with G.Skill DDR2 1066 running at multiplier 5.33x in BIOS. I am only running two hard drives, one 80gb SATA for main, partitioned for Vista, Mac and Linux and a 250 GB SATA for storage. It is in a Thermaltake ARES case with 2 x Antec 120mm adjustable speed fans, set on high. The 120mm fan that came with the cooler, runs at a weak ~500-1000 RPM. I turned off AMD Cool N Quiet and that seemed to put the RPMS's on the CPU fan up a little but. I'm going to replace it with an Antec adjustable speed fan.

Back on track, at idle speeds, according to SpeedFan, right now the CPU temp idle is 45C. I've seen it hit 52+ with load. I rechecked the seating of the cooler and it is nice and tight. I also used the thermal compound that came with the cooler and put a nice even coat on the CPU itself taking note not to get anything on the board for conductivity reasons. (I had a short once from thermal compound on a mobo). So is this a normal idle? I have an AMD X2 6000+ clocked with a Tuniq Tower and it runs idle @ 32C and 36C load. Obviously I have two more cores on the Phenom but something seems off here. Any input and suggestions?
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    First, just to make sure SpeedFan is giving you a correct reading, check the CPU temp with CoreTemp

What is the CPU voltage set at?
  3. rast4man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Let me install real quick. Cores according to SpeedFan

Vcore1: 1.30v
    Vcore2: 1.95v
    +3.3v : 3.33v
    +5v : 4.97v
    +12v : 12.29v
    -12v : -0.51v
    -5v : 4.05v
    +5v : 4,22v
    Vbat : 3,15v

I'm using an OCZ StelthXstream 650w PSU

Installed CoreTemp and says idle is 45/46C idle
  4. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    vcore 1.95? Put it down!

also welcome to tpu
  5. rast4man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the welcoming. What should I put it down to? I never mess with volts as I don't clock. I've been building computers for about 15 years and always left things at stock, or I just buy the fastest/best at the time for the speeds I want. I do know about volts, but this is my first quad core so I'm a noob regarding 4core.
  6. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont know either much about amd, ask people with AMD :), but is no brainer that 1.95 is killer for most chips
  7. rast4man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah after reading a bit it is a little high, but I can't find out how far I'm off. Come on AMD gurus, chime in here. I'd like to get this stable at normal volts and temp. :)
  8. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I think the 1.95V is the DRAM Voltage.
    1.30V is the Core Voltage for the CPU.
  9. rast4man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Correct. I'm still left with a hot processor. Coming off suspend, it immediately hits 46c. I'm not comfy with that.
  10. rast4man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm encoding a movie to see what this processor can do and I'm at 62c :( This is not good at all.

*EDIT* I noticed the Xigmatek wasn't completely covering the entire processor so I re-seated it and put fresh Thermal on, and it made not ONE bit of difference. There HAS to be someone that has ran into this problem? I'm wondering if I should switch to an ATX mobo instead of a Micro to try to dissipate some of the heat from the processor and RAM all bunched together. Any feedback? I'm almost to the point of just selling it which would be a shame from what I've read and the performance this CPU has. :(
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009