1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phenom 9850BE low voltage overclocking results!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kei, Apr 26, 2008.

?

Which operating system are you running?

1. Windows XP 32-Bit

33.0%
  2. Windows XP 64-Bit

7.9%
  3. Windows Vista 32-Bit

19.2%
  4. Windows Vista 64-Bit

39.9%
  1. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Welcome back monkey...now get on your homework assignment! You've got a lot of catching up to do!

K

2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    yes it is and that data would be helpful cause im confused as shit right now all i could do is get it to boot at stock no oc at all right now

new ram wont even go over to default timings which are 4-4-4-12@800mhz :banghead:

3. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Okay, do you have AOD on your computer right now? Also are you using a bios with Northbridge overclocking options (is there a Northbridge multiplier option)?

If yes to both questions then what color is the circle in AOD in the upper right corner, you don't actually need AOD to do anything except tell you that so don't change any settings. If no to the Northbridge then we can still change the multiplier but it'll mean changing some things in the registry if that's okay with you...you'll also have it run at each startup.

K

4. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    Going to try out the max HT bus at 8X....be back later

Kei says thanks.
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    AOD didnt work last time i tried it but that was when i had my 5000BE installed will try it again when i get home from work

6. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Koo, as long as it'll start you can tell me what color the circle in the top corner is and that's all I need to know. If it's green then we can change that and make it much faster w/o doing anything really, yellow is more than good enough, and red though the 'fastest' is completely pointless on that cpu as it'll just raise the temp and give you no noticable speed.

Also due to the TLB issue with those models red is also not encouraged as yellow is more than enough anyway. The highest I had mine was 2.7xGhz (can't remember the exact number but it was higher than 2.7Ghz) and I was using 2.55Ghz or 2.6Ghz for my daily setting at a very easy voltage of 1.25v

I've included a few pics of some of the settings I used to run with it...

We definately need to know how high you can go HT Bus speed wise in order to find what we can expect out of this chip. I believe my max on the MSI 790x board I used with that chip (also used it on this ASUS 790FX board) was 272Mhz. The ASUS would go far higher (283Mhz I believe...maybe more) but I wasn't using the most beast ram so I had to limit the HT Bus speed.

Also remember that this chip uses a 9x multiplier (1.8Ghz) for the HT Link and Northbridge unlike the 9850 (the only chip that uses the 10x 2.0Ghz setting...well the 9950 now as well). I was able to achieve a max of 2.25Ghz Northbridge (9x multi) stable before I stopped testing as I was content. The HT Link I ran at 2.0Ghz (8x multi) to keep things stable.

K

Attached Files:

7. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Also remember that for stability testing be careful stressing the cache as you may trigger the TLB bug if all four cores are stressed at 100% and get a false fail of the clock you're testing. The TLB is not a plague though as it's pretty damn rare to actually occur (you need to be really trying for most people).

I'm not certain if you can do this but you MAY be able to disable Cache Mapping (green mode) in your bios and still use CPU Tweak (red mode) and get a middle ground workaround to avoid the TLB altogether which would be sweet. I never tried that...just thought of it now though I wouldn't worry about the TLB anyway as it wasn't a problem for me and I do huge amounts of testing.

K

8. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
  9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
  10. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Koo, I was hoping/thinking so else I'd be pissed haha. They even give you free shipping WITH a game! That's insane!

K

11. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright!! Heres the results without volt changes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    HOLY SWEET JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm now officially extremely jealous of you! :toast:

I need to find that UPS truck and stop the shipping...you might be able to get better results with the video card too! Haha...sweet sweet SWEET result man, I think I'm gonna be low man on the totem pole this time around it seems. Weird though as I don't believe those with higher HT Bus speeds can clock higher than I can...

Anyway, what ram are you guys using, what OS, etc. so we all know what went into making that insane magic you've got!

K

13. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    At least I hold the record for going the highest at my max HT Bus speed with multipliers...all the way to 11.5x and I can pass post at 12.0 and 12.5x multiplier just can't get them into windows sadly.

I really do wonder what exactly is holding my chip back sometimes from getting the 3.2Ghz+ clocks as I can pass post on them pretty damn easy...even at stock volts as you can see (266*12.5x is 3.32Ghz). Oh well...no more trying to rain on your parade! :toast:

K

14. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    congrats. now put it on and tell us what it feels like!!!:toast::toast::toast:

15. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    :D It is a good ht bus! :D

Im using Windows Vista 64 bit SP1 and I have 2 gigs of crucial ballistix rated for 1066mhz and 2 gigs of crucial ballistix tracers rated for 800mhz. I use both sets at 800mhz normally but ran them 400mhz for those tests.

16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    its in but im at work so ill give you more info later

17. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Are you using Ultimate or Premium Vista as you know I want to move up real real real soon like just don't know if I want to go with Ultimate or Premium this time. I'm already using Ultimate 32 right now and I love it but I don't think it has much that I'd miss over the Premium version except the uber cool black box...I think? Oh yea, I also have SP1 though SP1 for Vista64 was apprently hands down the best upgrade of all the Windows upgrades last run.

Your setup is much like mine with the ram as I've got the Patriot Extreme's rated for 1150Mhz and GeIL's rated for 800Mhz. I run them both at 800Mhz normally as well but I'm about to replace the GeIL's with more Patriot's so I can run the crazy 3-4-3 timings on more than just 2Gigs of ram.

K

Viscarious says thanks.
  18. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    You look a little under the weather so go home immediately...I'll even write you a note :shadedshu

K

19. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    They did have them up to $243 with free shipping so I guess they have the 9950's in the house now. That's one thing that has really pissed me off about the Egg...They jack prices up for a short while and most of the time they just come back down to their normal price. I've been looking at zipzoomfly alot more lately.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Humph...that's interesting I bought mine for $235 when they first came out and I'm pretty religious on shopping at newegg now. I didn't get free shipping but then again...ummm I'm different when it comes to shipping as I don't care if I have to get it from overseas I'll pay overnight shipping anyway every single time. Weird huh...I'm the most patient guy in the world...except when it comes time to pay for shipping then I want my stuff in 30 minutes or less. :D

I haven't noticed any unusual price jumping at newegg besides the regular get them the first day prices that everyone does, meh oh well I guess I'm gonna check out zipzoomfly (wild name haha) too.

K

21. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, vista home premium. I didn't need anything from ultimate so I just 'grabbed' home premium.

Also, I cant get 10x with anymore voltage. I come into a wall when trying to go past 2.8ghz. Weird...

BTW, with that setup posted above, I scored 11890 in 3Dmark06.

And damn Kei. That sounds like a nice rx7. (sorry to respond here :p )

Kei says thanks.
  22. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I just need to either go back to that setup and try to push all the bit and peices as far as they can go. Like memory speed and timings. What would you say to do Kei, on the 293x9.5 setup?

23. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Well, I made it a little lower @ 2.8Ghz. Posted is a snippy. Kei, I love cars!! Do you have a pic you can send my way or do you have it posted somewhere?

Attached Files:

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is stable at that speed with that low low voltage??? It's a great clocking kenkickr, congratulations!

:toast:

kenkickr says thanks.
  25. servermonkey

servermonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    am i correct in guessing my h/w is max fsb?

Kei says thanks.