1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phenom II 955 Running HOT!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by mystiksinner, May 1, 2009.

1. mystiksinner New Member

Thanks Received:
    temps are the same in Bios. I'm using arctic silver 5, thats how much the instructions say to use, and I've never had a problem

2. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Something I would try just to check if you have a really concaved IHS on the proc is to pull the proc out, clean it, and take a ruler and line it up across the IHS(The top of the proc). If it's really concaved then that could be the problem with your temps. Also check your heatsink base in the same manner. If it's concaved then your just going to get a nice little bubble of air between the proc and HSF and very insufficient cooling.

If this is the cause of your problem then your going to have to lap or RMA the proc since it seems to not matter which HSF your using.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    People have been using a chocolate chip sized drop of paste since I can remember.

4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Download and run OCCT on full stress, firstly see what temps OCCT is displaying, secondly, you will know if the temps you are seeing are "real" as you will get the thermal shutdown of the chip, if the temps are showing (wrongly) at say 90C but OCCT is still running you know it's purely a sensor thing and not actually the chip, in that case, uninstall all temp monitoring and ignore it :)

5. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I used that method on the old Athlon's ie a rice sized drop of Tim in the centre of the CPU, I never use that method anymore, I use a strip of old credit card cleaned and spread the Tim thinly and evenly over the complete surface.

6. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking of trying a similar method recently. I'll give it a go when I switch out my stock unit, which I have to do soon.

7. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    By chance, and Im just asking here, did you remove the little piece of film on the bottom of your sink?