1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phenom II against intels old and new chips all oced to 3.7ghz

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trt740, Jan 5, 2009.

1. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah trasmissed text that seemed to fuddle, but was clear, for everyone :laugh:. Good review though, I like the benchies they did and them using oc'd comparisons. Well, even if it is only challenging year old tech from the blue team, at least there is some competition in the mid-range. Doesn't really change anything from current scenarios though, AMD seems to be on their own time table now independent of intel, which works out fine as some don't consider intel anyway.

3. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    still a giant improvement over prior AMD chips, and as AMD tries to so often, its backwards compatible. Who knows how it will do with DDr3 maybe it will benefit more than core2 duos and be nearer the new Intel chips

WarEagleAU says thanks.
  4. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    amd phenom 2 with their cheapo high end boards is gonna come back :D

5. From_Nowhere New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems to perform similar to a Yorkfield, and that's not half bad considering the price on the new Phenoms.

6. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I doubt it. DDR3 won't make that much difference probably, but a very improved chipset may. I don't know, the more I look at this the worse it seems, there's too many tests where this doesn't even match up w/ the q6600 and is actually further behind it than ahead of Agena. It only seems to truly be competitive in a handful of benches, most notably the games at high res (where its more gpu dependent, and the differences are small anyway). Also the power consumption is near that of the i7. It really does look like they just jacked up the energy of the phenom to give it higher clocks and slightly better speed. Considering all that and the hype they received and a $200+ price tag, amd loyalty seems to be the only real reason to get pII (or maybe better mb costs). Maybe they'll have a trick w/ AM3 though.....

7. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I'd think about it for the price, but then quickly reconsider as I am waiting till my single core shoots itself in the foot.

8. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    no way you still rockin a single core well I'll be damned. Couldn't have been any worse when I used my sempron Le 1150 with 4850...but anyways on a side note phenom II is about the only way to go unless you are really broke. In that case might as well get 7750 or a phenom x3.

9. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    well from what I'm told these P2 chips are still very fast

10. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey it's all relative, and if it works for ya, then it works for ya. Thanks for posting the review, I hope more sites do reviews of like this, it's set up very well. :toast:

11. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    From what iam seeing they are doing very well in performance, considering there on slower RAM, and HT as well, using older AM2+ Mobo's, thats one heck of a upgrade for a AMD user dam!!! and omg so much cheaper, all you gotta buy is a CPU and your not far off performance to a i7, now thats cheap, try to do that with a i7 system? lol I think with the new AM3 Mobo's we are going to see the new Phenom's about on par to the i7, or dam close ;)

Also i noticed the higher the res in games, the better they performed, the intels start to slow down. Thats good news for me as im all about game performance, and these seem to be doing very well:)

12. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    guys can you explain to me what ar you all bitching about????????????looking at the game results it beats most of the time even i7!so how is it bad???????????????????????????????

13. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm the only one "bitching" as you say, everyone else is staying positively optimistic or not posting. I already explained my reasoning in the above post, you can consult that if you want to know why. That it can game at high res is neither surprising nor impressive, as gpu is the main component w/ games. You can still get by pretty easily w/ a solid dual-core and a nice gpu if gaming is your only concern.

infrared and xvi say thanks.
  14. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :nutkick:

15. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I can tell you that so far, my PII "feels" faster than my old Q9550. I was only able to complete wprime, superpi and 3dmark06 benchmarks before my board died. I have a feeling that with the new board it will perform even better. I can say from my limited experience that it is NOT in the same realm as i7, but it is certainly on par with Yorkfield.

16. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD sayd that nehalem is no match for i7!!And that is true but it is pretty competetive whit kentsfield and yorkfield:ohwell:

17. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    r u shore or is it placebo type effect

18. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    come to the green side we have cookies:p

19. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    LOL. I'm after the facts, and I'm not a fanboy. So yeah, I'm quite sure. The 945BE and Biostar 790GX was at least as responsive as my Q9550/Max Formula was.

20. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, really it comes down to that for most everyday use w/ a computer nothing even close to yorkfield/kentsfield/denab performance is needed. For the average person surfing the web and such, even for the enthusiast opening applications left and right a fast dual core (a la core 2 duo) is still plenty, as is Agena. In a purely subjective way I'd wager I'd have a hard time telling the difference b/t my e6750 and a PII when simply opening apps and such, it would take some encoding or some other cpu-intensive task to really show the difference.

That's what is really weird about the whole thing, the average person doesn't really benefit from these faster than god processors, but the average person doesn't know that, thus they just buy a dell or something w/ an intel in it b/c they heard it was faster. The enthusiasts tend to have a love affair w/ AMD, even though intel provides faster processors. It's ass-backwards I tell you. :laugh:

21. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure you not!!!!!! it not you pre ordered it all ready or anything:rolleyes:

22. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't decipher that.

23. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    NOT YOU DUDE!!paulieg

24. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're saying he didn't have it then you are wrong. He has a 945BE but his biostar board kicked the can.

25. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    :confused::slap: I'm just about new hardware from either side, and I had an opportunity to get a "special" chip at a good price, so I jumped on it. If I had the same opportunity with i7, I would have done that too.