1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by TechProdigy, Sep 3, 2010.

1. TechProdigy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was in the market for a new processor and came across this locked beauty. After much debate, I took the chance and bought one for under 90$. Now, I'm either one of those unlucky few that get one that can't be unlocked or I'm just doing something wrong.

When I try unlocking it on my ASUS M4A78T-E with ACC and Unleashing Mode set "4 core operation" my mobo will boot up 3 times and finally come up as a Phenom II x4 55 BE but with only 3 cores and threads under CPU-Z. When I go back and check Unleashing Mode's option, it switches back to a "3 core" type deal.

On my MSI 790X-45G the core can't be unlocked from neither the "Core Unlocker" option or ACC. This motherboards BIOS doesn't have an Unleashing Mode either so I can't try that option.

Am I doing something wrong or did I get a 555 with a faulty 4th core? Any help would be appreciated guys.

2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    The core is bad. The board's "Unleashed mode" tested it with all 4, got an error, rebooted, set it to 3 cores, tested, got no issues, saved settings, restarted again. That is why the board kept restarting because it was not stable with 4 cores.

Don't look at as "I didn't get a Quad core". Look at it as, "I get a nice Triple core @ 3.2 Ghz for fairly cheap. And if you are a gamer, 3 cores is more than enough for 99% of the games out there.

3. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I've got exactly the same CPU, exactly the same issue, except on different board (see specs). It's my 3rd core that's gammy.
    I just run it as a 3.2 GHz dual core when watching films, etc. then make it 3.7GHz tri-core when video editing.
    You still got an ok deal, I know someone who bought one and couldn't unlock any extra cores (apparently).

4. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I think you both did better than "Ok deal". At $90 bucks this was a fairly well priced dual core. Getting a 3.2 Ghz 3-core with 6 MB L3 cache is worth about $135, so I say you both saved $45 bucks.

scaminatrix says thanks.
  5. TechProdigy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Anyway, I don't want to settle for a 3 core so i'm going to try and RMA it see if i get a better one. :)

6. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    And things like that is why companies like Newegg have changed their RMA policies. You did not get a defective chip. You bought a dual core, and got a dual core. Tough luck. Next time by a quad. :shadedshu

7. 3dsage

3dsage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not to be a d!ck but are you aware that "unlocked black edition" chips just means the multiplier is unlocked, not the fact that there is cores to unlock, thats just the luck of the draw.

And I totally agree with Exeodus, if you want a quad dish out the extra cash..

Exeodus says thanks.