1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phenom II X4 955BE or Phenom II X6 1055T?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by currahee440, Jun 5, 2010.

1. currahee440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey ya'll! I'm gonna build a new compy in about a week or so :toast: but I'm having trouble deciding what CPU I want. It's between a P2X4 and a P2X6 as the title might suggest.
    Now I'm starting to hate AMD's marketing so much ;) the only reason why I'm attracted to the X6 is because of the price for 6 cores! who can say they have a 6 core cpu! ;O
    But practically speaking, nothing really NEEDS 6 cores, much less 4. Anything that is an improvement over my Core 2 Duo will do.

Now my only reservation about the X4 955BE is that it uses pretty much more or less the same amount of power as the X6 system. I'm probably not going to OC the chips... we will see though I did order a Hyper N520 cooler which seems pretty hefty.

What do you guys think? My heart is set on an AMD system atm. I just can't decide which chip to get! People say get the X6 but I think if I do that I won't need to upgrade in like 5 years ;) so should I get the X6 or get the X4? I think if I get the X4 I may go with a regular CPU just because it has a lower TDP.
  2. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    The X6 will speed up three cores on applications that only use 3 or less heavily to almost the same clock speed of the X4 (The 1055T has a turbo core boost to 3.3Ghz for three cores, the X4 is clocked at 3.4Ghz). This means that even if you do not overclock, in gaming performance the two CPUs are about the same anyway (Can be also confirmed by, say, guru3D's review of the 1055T).

If you are overclocking, then overclocking the 1055T is harder due to fixed multiplier, but it can still reach clocks on a decent board which will make it fast enough for any normal everyday use (gaming included).

In short, I'd get the 1055T over the 965BE.
  3. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    We're on the same boat. I still can't decide between the x4 965 and the Thuban.
  4. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If I get my X6 soon, I'll let you know what's up as right now I am using a Phenom II X4 965. As of now I don't have any experience with the X6 though. I'll keep you posted if I get it soon enough before you decide :toast:
  5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Right now, the 955BE costs about $150, the 1055T is $50 more, which translate to only 10% more if you are building a $500 setup, even less if you are going for something more expensive. My pick is the 1055T.

This might be interesting:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3,2452.html
  6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    There both great CPU's and both will do well in the future, even four cores is plenty even for today standards and you wont see much difference in gaming or day to day tasks with ether CPU.

Go with what ever you can afford id say.

I went with the X6 only because of the programs ill be using which love more processing cores to get the job done quicker, but a 955 wont be far behind it anyway and for gaming you don't need more then 3 realy.