1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Photoshop

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Gilletter, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    So I got a new camera, and have been taking pictures like crazy. I have the latest version of photoshop laying around and was wondering if anyone had any good "tutorials" on using photoshop, or maybe someone out there that would like to teach me how to use it??? :D

2. Guru Janitor

Guru Janitor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I use photoshop CS3 on a daily basis, have taken classes for it, and have to say, the best way to learn it is to just know what the tools do, then mess with it your self. Tutorials show you some pretty cool things, but I feel you learn more just by doing things on your own, that way you develop your own style on the way.

http://www.photoshoplab.com/photoshop-tool-basics.html

That shows you what each individual tool does. Once you know those basics, you can really create some cool stuff on your own. Look at other peoples work and try to recreate it on your own. Practice makes perfect.

:toast:

Gilletter says thanks.
  3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I had no idea what I was doing, only took me 2 or 3 years to figure out how to do basic stuff in it heheh! No, don't be scared, it's powerful, but you'll get right into it after awhile. You don't have to use the advanced features at first, but good to learn. I'd suggest corel paintshop pro first to get your feet wet.

Gilletter says thanks.
  4. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    the best way is to go to your library and get the peachpit press book for photoshop. it will teach you basic photoshop commands and how to be efficent in photoshop. from there, you just want to work with other photoshoppers.. thats the best way to learn.. try to reverse engineer photoshopped works, or try to recreate the same thing.. learn the techniques of fellow photoshoppers and what not.. thats how i learned.. i must say, working with the fellow photoshoppers at graphic artists united (in the general nonsense section of the forums if you're interested) has been a great pleasure.. working with them has taught me so much and i'd probably not be the same without them.

Gilletter says thanks.
  5. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    A publication i found excellent was this one '

If you can find it at your local library id strongly reccomend it they have one for CS4 i see but the one i have is for CS3. The book details pretty much everything you can do in ps and explains things in simple terms. Also there are excellent guides on Youtube.

Gilletter says thanks.
  6. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the replys... I'll check them all out.

7. Grimskull New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use photshop CS3 on a regular basis myself.. along with a few more Adobe titles. Go to youtube and search for photoshop tutorials.. .there are some brillant easy to follow tutorials there. Also check out lynda.com some you may have to pay for, but some are free.. like the basics. :toast:

Gilletter says thanks.
  8. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    I never thought of checking youtube, lol. Personally I hate youtube... but ehh, I'll give it a shot!

9. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    I used to own a Photoshop Tutorial site. Until I had college - and the lack of time I had made it fall to the ground. What kind of tutorials do you want;

Editing Photo's
    Creating Signature's
    Text Effects
    ETC

10. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

I'm afraid I disagree... unless you're using the software on a regular basis, you're going to get confused when you can't find the same tools/options/menus in Photoshop that you did in the corel program. Skip Corel, dig into Photoshop, and the online tutorials. Minimize some of those extra panels and junk, and see what breaks :)

11. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Just givin' you a hollar Gilletter that if you need any help just shoot me a PM. ;)

12. Stearic New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been using Photoshop 6 for many years (only for basic stuff though) but I am still a total PS n00b. Recently bought Adobe CS3 WP suite. All I can say is that CS3 totally rocks!
    Using PS requires some patience, but it's well worth the effort. I have now learned how to draw some basic diagrams and make animated gifs.:p

The key to using Photoshop is the knowledge of Layers.:toast: