1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Physics in Gameplay

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ChaoticBlankness, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ChaoticBlankness

ChaoticBlankness New Member

Thanks Received:
    With Ageia's card having already debuted and the graphics maker going nuts to save face, I have one question. In this multi-core processing world.. Why do we need a card to do physics?

I hope it's not a silly question, but wouldn't it makes sense to develop code to run on it's on thread on a cpu core it can reserve? After all, we're going to Quad core very soon... then 8 cores after that. (K8L on 4x4+) So why not just hand the work off to 1 or more of the CPU cores?

2. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Because right now, we just have two cores. AMDs 4x4 wont come out till next year if not 2008. Offloading to a CPU could be done, but today, its just not possible. The very idea of having a card dedicated to one aspect of graphics is like having 2 video cards. The physix cards handle a certain code or instruction or set of instructions or aspects of gaming. By utilizing it, your cpu and video card are freed up for more other areas of gaming and such. Its really a boon for those who use onboard audio ::cringe::

Im sure in the future if they go 4x4 or 8x8 they may go that route. Of course, Ive read on the web, that there is fear of no need for vid cards if the cpu(s) can do it all and vice versa :(

3. bbriand New Member

Thanks Received:
    What about dual core video cards?

I'm sure eventually physics boards and video cards will be combined into one card anyhow.

Bill

4. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    I agree, 110% - inevitable

See my subject-line/title above...

:)

* It's just an inevitability imo, because that would give the graphics cards "oem's" a chance to get a "competitive edge" over their respective competition...

APK

P.S.=> Just like SMP has become "the norm/std." for PC performance fiends (and certainly for game console users)...

I mean, what would YOU have your R&D dept.'s work on, if you were in charge @ say, NVidia OR ATI? This would be one of the things I'd have them @ work on, imo @ least... apk

5. bbriand New Member

Thanks Received:
    A friend of mine worked for BNR labs (Nortel) back in the 90s. He said they had technology shellved(sp??) in a warehouse with release dates years into the future.

So since I am cynical I'd say if they are just releasing physics boards now that they already have combined physics boards and video cards (if its possible which I think it would be).

There is a market in selling both seperately and possibly a new type of mobo to mesh them together in some fantastic way that our current mobo's can't. Once they milk that market then they'll introduce the combined cards that are probably sitting on their shelves now ;)

Bill

6. ChaoticBlankness

ChaoticBlankness New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah....

I just see Ageia taking off slow, and CPU cores being used as the future trend. Or maybe I'm just crazy...! :p

7. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    I can see Ageia being "bought out" by NVidia or ATI... this happens in this industry LIKE MAD!

Witness 3dFx being bought by NVidia, or on the software-side, Microsoft (DOS, FrontPage, IE, SQLServer (co-project), their Windows AntiVirus/AntiSpyware stuff, & Visio as SOME examples only, there are more)

It happens ALL THE TIME...

Not only in hardwares &/or softwares, but talent too!

Heck - Just lately, they picked up "WinTernals" only a day or so ago! Both Dr. Russinovich & Dr. Cogswell also got pretty sweet architect type jobs w/ MS no less afaik...

Borland got "brain-drained" regularly over the past decade & 1/2++ now by MS as well, & tons of times no less...

E.G.-> Anders Heijelsberg (.NET & Visual Studio lead/architect) & David Cutler (NT-OS family architect) are a PRIME EXAMPLES thereof.

:)

* I'd wager, they'll get their stuff perfected & they'll get scooped up!

APK

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  8. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    basicly, ageia delivered something different to what they promised, they promised faster gameplay by unloading physics from future games from GPU to the PPU,

and insted they delivered a card that put even more load on the GPU so you can see more dust and a couple of more rocks flying,

they screwed up,