1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Physx card but which one?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Techtu, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I don't want to spend too much on one of these thing's but I don't want minimum from one either, so I'm probably looking for a mid ranged Physx card and have very little knowledge of what cards I should be looking for?

I'd like to possibly have another 4 series to keep in name with my GTX 460... but really that's not needed just would be nice :) One thing is a must though and that is this card has got to be a dark brown PCB or possibly blue as I don't want it to stand out when it's fitted in my rig.

2. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Anyone?

3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I think thread GT430 as a dedicated PhysX card? will help you out. Look out for erocker's responses in particular, as he seems to know what he's talking about on this one.

I see you have a GTX 460, so I don't think you have a compelling reason for getting a dedicated PhysX card*. Heck, my GTX 285 does fine and it has about the same processing power as yours, minus DX11 of course.

*Mind you, us enthusiasts don't need compelling reasons to upgrade, do we? ;) :D

Techtu says thanks.
  4. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    So I've come to conclusion I may get the MSI GT 430 - it's more expensive than the others in it's range but it does match the PCB colour I wanted and being MSI for me is a plus...

The only nag is the cooler is silver - I may spray this to the same colour as my case :rockout:

5. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion the GTS 250 was a perfect Physx card. Even a 240 could handle Physx processing fine. But I suppose someone has to buy the backend 400 series cards.

6. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    All cards in question here are priced almost the same so it doesn't matter if it's the 240 or 430 series unless one performs better than the other? and for what reasons?

The GTS 250 is out of the price range I'm looking at - £60 maximum - would like less considering it's a Physx card but I'd like matching or at least similar to my existing setup.

7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    wow thats kinda hard, i would suggest GT220 it has new features and of course it has better performance and memory

8. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    gtx580

9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't think a dedicated PhysX card is even worth it with a GTX460, it would just be a waste of money.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU