1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Picking ram:great performance & looks

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by GraveFiller, Feb 16, 2012.

1. GraveFiller

Thanks Received:
    Was doing a lot of research into memory that is out today, since I haven’t really done any research for the past few years ( my pc is 5 yrs. Old, built it from suggestions made here in 2007)!

This will be for X79 LGA 2011 mobo 8GB 2x4: Mem for new rig is DDR3 1866 :
    My mobo would probably be:> ASRock X79 Extreme4

I decided I would like the following: (they also look f'n gr8t)!

1.) Kingston HyperX – Ti DDR3 1866 kit
    2.) G.skill Ripjaws X (x for 1155) Z is for the (2011) chipset
    3.) Mushkin Redline Ridgeback Take ur pick Red or Black (both r nice)!

Also: The corsair vengence did very well too, i just don't like their looks.
    And: The G.Skillz sniper mem did very well on memory tests at 1866 too! (looks are warmin to me more i look at it). hehe

So I’d like to know which memory do you all prefer, and which of the sticksI mentioned looks the coolest to you?
    They are all Great but am curios as to what other opinions are on these kits.

Thanks in advance!
    Gravefilla

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    LagunaX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. GraveFiller

Thanks Received:

Thanks for the heads up on the samsung norton, but dang if that stuff don't look like dimms from my 486 DX50 rig!...and i was smokin along with 256mb of ram with 2 dimms! lol.

I couldn't hardly read all the images u posted, and i have to say, out of 3 days of research i never even heard of samsung memory for any tests.

Everything was, Corsair, crucial , patriot, g.skill, ocz, mushkin, pny, even adata!....but no samsung.
    Besides, out of the memory i mentioned they were all basically neck n neck, at which point aesthetics is the deciding factor.

So thanks for your reply, but those dimms only a mother could love....hehe:toast:

4. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  5. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    The G.Skills look so much better in real life than that picture dictates. The mushkin looks like bart simpson and the kingston looks like bart simpson in the episode where he's auditioning for the radioactive man movie but he's not tall emough so he spikes his hair up.

So i say gskill. :roll:

Edit: btw the gskill has a metallic finish i believe

Double edit: Here we go found some images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. GraveFiller

Thanks Received:
    LOL...after seeing simspon pics....your right! lol.....o.k G.Skill it is!
    Too bad the Z series don't look as good as the X

What do you think about the Snipers? The heat shields actually have what looks like an m-16 embedded in it. hence sniper right?
    You like those bitches at 1866?

7. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    My buddy has the snipers, I like the ripjaws personally, but I can see the appeal of the snipers too. :)

8. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:

You can always add a little flair (examples):

Computer Hardware, Fans & Heatsinks, Memory & Chi...

I would rather have a 500hp V8 with rusty valve covers in my car than a stock V6 with an engine dress up kit :D

But... to each his own, good luck on your quest :cool:

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder sometimes if people really think that if it looks better, it has to perform better. :laugh: Mostly kidding.

I'm just not about aesthetics. I guess it's probably because none of my real world friends are geeks or enthusiasts. None of them are impressed by anything hardware related, except for the fact that I can fix stuff for them when it's broken. :laugh: So, I just want whatever performs best for my money, period.

I'd chose the red Ridgebacks out of all of those kits. I think they probably have the best IC's out of the options you listed. However, the Samsung kit that Norton mentioned will probably overclock and tighten up better than anything you have listed.;)

AsRock, Norton and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  10. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Im with paulie, WHO CARES if it looks bad if it runs like a beast! Those samsungs have been known to out clock the higher end Gskill and other brands. Order some stupid heatspreaders with them and call it a day.

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    For X79, I suggest you buy XMP v1.3 sticks.

Sammy's are OK, but they are not XMP. I have a set for review, will be looking at them next week most likely.

I've got about 80GB of ram right now...2GB sticks, 4 GB sticks, 8GB sticks...for X79, you really do want XMP v1.3 if OCing the bus, or you need to know how to adjsut secondary and tertiary timings manually. XMP v1.3 takes care of this for you, as well as I/O voltage.

Also, I suggest you run 4 sticks, and get a quad-stick set.

IF it wasn't X79, i'd not have these recommendations, and would be saying something completely different. I do not think looking at all platforms the same way, when they are very different, is very good system planning.

Unfortunately, without having an AsRock X79 board, I can suggest what would be "perfect" for that board. I'm still having issues getting in contact with them.

12. GraveFiller

Thanks Received:
    yea, ripjaws better looking for sure.

Guess i'll end up w/the Z series since i'll going x79 in near future.

(nice mod on the samsung sticks wattup....looks str8t from the factory)! hehe

LagunaX says thanks.
  13. GraveFiller

Thanks Received:
    Like I said i appreciate the post norton...gr8t analogy with your 500hp whip vs. v6 kit..lol.

But seriously, those sticks ain't kicking no ripjaws ass...or patriot, or kingston...were talkin ~3%...negligible...or maybe 1fps during games..doubt you would notice...hehe...

always fun here at TPU....cheers Norton!:nutkick:

14. GraveFiller

Thanks Received:

Lol, then why do you have G.Skill ripjaws on your rig? hehe...

Look, ain't no way those sticks are beating up those dimms i listed....i mean every site overclock site etc. never even had these on the test rigs..... so i don't trust em!

Again, how r your ripjaws behaving?

and yea, i've got a thermaltake case with a wide open side that everyone can look into, so i want a pretty pair of simms.!!
    lol....thanks for comments tho:toast:

15. GraveFiller

Thanks Received:

I thought anything sandybridge E was xmp 1.3 no?
    If not, yes the Z series has the xmp1.3 specifically for the 2011's right? That way i don't have to tweak nothing, the batchfile or whatever it is that loads the memory settings does it for me.
    I'm no big overclocker, i just fix and build pc's for people...so i come here to hear from the ahem...experts...hehe.

And i do appreciate all the help or contributions...thanks cadava.

p.s
    you having problems getting in touch with asrock? i never had their boards, but i'm tired of ASus, i've had problem w/my p5k deluxe overclocking for years...and i don't f'n like it!

16. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    PLEASE avoid multiple consecutive posts. Just edit and consolidate.

17. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    I've got Ripjaws in my rig and Snipers in my server. They both look great. For me it depended on what was in the rest of the system. (the snipers are good for an all black look, the ripjaws went well with a red/black theme)

Though really, I can't even see my ripjaws. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143548&page=4

Completely covered by my HSF.

18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i had some G skill and they are dam good but shii Sammy ripp shit out of them lol.

19. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Bleh. The rational side of me is saying the performance for the price is unbeatable. But the side of me that spent a week painting the inside of my case because I didn't like the basic gray is vomiting in a corner.

;)

20. GraveFiller

Thanks Received:

Now that i know crucial brought back the led lights on their dimm sticks, i'm gonna go with them again.
    I have them in my lga775 rig now...(i know she's an ol whore) been thru alot me n her, but those memory sticks are the hottest .....only sticks u can see since they have those led's on top..and bottom too i see...on utube neway....
    plus their a subsidiary of micron, so you know your getting top of the line chips....and tight latency 8 cas.
    thanks bro! think crucial is the one for me ....