1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Picture Quality? HD DVD or Blu Ray?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HiddenStupid, Aug 5, 2007.

1. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I heard HD DVD has more features but all I care is how crisp and clear the image, picture quality is.

Which has better picture quality?
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Neither. I have both, and picture quality is the same.
  3. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    ????
    what? both or them are hd ???
    so they have same resolution 720p 1080p
    i don't thing the deferent disc count on something?

p.s. except size
  4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    The only difference between HD and Blu Ray is the wavelength of laser (and hence thickness of the disc) they use and the size of the disc.
  5. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    there was a comparison done on the Hot Fuzz DVD and HD-DVD. The HD-DVD looked much better, and had 18hrs of extras, so Blu-Ray will be about the same. However, it might be a little better because of the increased capacity.
  6. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    blu-ray will be the same..

Its digital until produced on your TV.

Blu-ray and HD-dvd are only storage mediums, like DVD, or CDROM.

The media being displayed from a blu-ray player, or hd-dvd player should be exactly the same, if you use HDMI. (I'm pretty sure that remains digital).

If you copied the HD-DVD, or blu-ray to your hdd, and "played" it, it would be exactly the same, too.
  7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure there aren't different CODEC's associated with the different formats. I think the differences are BOTH storage media AND codec (and encryption). However, since they were both designed for HD video quality, I would imagine they would LOOK as good as each other. The reviews we have heard may only reflect differences in the electronics of the different players being used, and not the underlying quality of the format.

EXTRA
    1./ Difference encryption/copy protection methods
    2./ There are SOME common audio and video formats, but also some DIFFERENT ONES
    3./ Blu-ray does allow theoretically higher data-streaming rates, on the same codec, meaning that video quality, in theory, could be better. In practice though, 90% of movies released to date, do NOT record at this *highest* data encoding rate
    4./ Interesting documents: http://ip.hhi.de/imagecom_G1/assets/pdfs/csvt_overview_0305.pdf
    5./ Interesting links: http://www.answers.com/topic/h-264-mpeg-4-avc
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  8. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, each have their own Codec's. That's why no-one has come out with a hybrid player yet, they're trying to get both to work together.
  9. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats

Read your link.

more specifically....

[​IMG]

Ofcourse using Divx over xVid is going to give you a different result, but those aren't a specified standard so it will depend on what is used by the producing company.
    Neither should be very different at all, though, at this resolution and quality.

Since both formats can use the same codec you get something such as below:
    So it depends on what publisher does it, but if the publisher uses the same codec to make it comparable, storage medium makes NO DIFFERENCE.
  11. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive seen Batman Begins and 300. The first in Blue Ray the second in HD-DVD.
    I liked the first much better but yes the HD-DVD has more extras.
  12. v-zero Guest

For those films that are released on both HD-DVD and Blu-ray the video on the disk is identical. This is because a film studio will not spend many days pointlessly remastering something that doesn't need it. HD-DVD and Blu-ray will look identical when both are taken from a decent source... In fact, since both now use VC1 and H264 most of the time, the codecs reach saturation for their bitrate at about 15GB for video data (2hr movie)...

I actually tend to re-encode my HD-DVD and Blu-ray disks to WMV with 5.1 WMA and onto a DVD9. That way I can playback on my 360 without having to use the HD-DVD drive, and without needing my PS3... The backups are very useful and look identical on my 1080p projector to the originals... They sound fantastic too. WMA 5.1 is awesome.