1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ping decreasing because of Internet speed is possible?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by kopekbaligi, Apr 23, 2012.

1. kopekbaligi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there a ping difference between 10mbps and 1mbps at online games? I know ping and bandwidth are 2 completely different things.
    My connection speed from my ISP is 10mbps. If I exceed the quote of 50GB(I mean If I download more than 50 GB in a month), my ISP will slow my speed to 1mbps. So when my internet is slowed, my ping will also be increased at online games?

I think it depends on how much data the game download from the game server. And the amount of data got from the game server differs from game to game. So, 1mbps would be adequate to have a reasonable ping value?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You mean latency I assume. And I don't think it should matter. What games do you play? Some of them have functions to check your latency.

Isenstaedt and kopekbaligi say thanks.
  3. kopekbaligi New Member

Thanks Received:

yes latency, and the games I play are like sc2, bf3 bc2

4. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Your internet speed doesn't affect your latency(ping). Latency is affected by your connection's quality, not it's speed.

Your ping should stay the same.

Isenstaedt and kopekbaligi say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Ping is a measure of latency, or in simple terms how many different nodes have to be crossed before a data packet reaches its destination. Bandwidth is a measure of how much data is allowed to travel to and from a location at any given time. Put simply, no ping times (a measure of latency) will not increase if you get capped.

kopekbaligi says thanks.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    higher ping is bad, not good. lower is better.

so when you said
    you had it backwards.

if your speed is slowed and you lack sufficient bandwidth, your ping will spike and cause issues. if you still have enough for the game, then you'll be fine.

kopekbaligi says thanks.
  7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    That's not completely true. Yes, if your connection is slowed down to the point that you don't have suffient bandwidth for the game, you will experience lag. But the lag will not be related to your ping. What does happen is pocket lose. Information that either your computer or the server sent is lost. This results in situations like shooting your oponent, but they don't receive any damage. This is usually refered to as no damage bug(NDB). I have a large amount of experience with issues like this from my 56k gaming days and playing Mechwarrior 4.

kopekbaligi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Pocket loss. :roll:

It's one of the issues with the kind of network we have around us. Normally this would be corrected but I assume games don't have much overhead in the packets..

EDIT: BTW, what protocols does games use?

kopekbaligi says thanks.
  9. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    MW4 was a real pain in the ass with that. It was a DX7 game that required port forwarding and triggering to work properly. Even with the game being available for free DL today, there are still people that can't figure out how to properly set the game up for multiplayer.

kopekbaligi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    packets dont get through, and they fall behind. you either get packet loss, or all packets delayed as the network chokes, trying to keep up.

at moderate levels, you get ping spikes, at extreme levels, packet loss. 56k and modern networks do differ slightly.

the whole no damage bug thing you're talking about is one specific server scenario that really depends on the game engine and how it handles lag and packet loss.

kopekbaligi says thanks.
  11. bencrutz

Thanks Received:
    1mbps should be fine for OL games, unless you choked that bandwidth with downloads / torrents or other traffic.
    if you'd like to have a guaranteed bandwidth for that games, use a smart router and prioritize packets of the games. mikrotik routerboards such as RB750 series are dirt cheap and will do the job just fine, provided that you can configure mikrotik's routerOS :laugh:

kopekbaligi says thanks.
  12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if its like ISP's in australia, they cap your upload as well. some ISP's here shape you to 128/128Kb, others 128/1Mb, and others even more random combinations.

the only reason he should have issues is if he runs out of bandwidth, and that would be because of other users or programs on the network - someone downloading or uploading, would have a greater ping impact with lower overall bandwidth.

kopekbaligi says thanks.
  13. bencrutz

Thanks Received:
    128k/1M seriously? ouch

well, with mikrotik routerboard, we could prioritize every traffic that run through the router :)
    a lot simpler application is cfosspeed, it runs on windows, but with a hefty limitation compared to mikrotik's routerOS, such as it could only prioritize traffic on computer that have cfosspeed installed, meaning if you plug another computer (without cfosspeed installed) to the network, it could suck your internet bandwidth dry :roll:

kopekbaligi says thanks.
  14. kopekbaligi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know, I just confused :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Thank you for correcting.
    yeah the same in turkey

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    this is relevant, my housemate is uploading and its causing me internet issues:

[​IMG]

notice the high ping, and lack of packet loss.