1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pioneer Unveils DVD Writers Supporting Latest Technologies

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Dec 7, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Pioneer today announced the DVR-S17J series of new internal DVD Writer drives that bring some of the latest technologies to the DVD. The three models differ only in the bezel colors - black for DVR-S17J-BK, silver for DVR-S17J-SV, and white for DVR-S17J-W, respectively. The drive has better writing precision thanks to its Focus and Tracking Servos improvements, and a new actuator. The drive also features PureRead and PowerRead technologies, in addition to Yamaha's LabelFlash technology. It uses the SATA interface. Writing speeds include DVD-R for General Version 2.0/4x, 6x, 8x, 12x and 16 x -speed for DVD-R Revision 1.0/ 2.0/ 3.0/ 5.0/ 6.0(for video and Data) respectively; Dual Layer DVD-R; DVD-RW Version 1.1/ 2x-speed DVD-RW Version 1.0; DVD-RW Version 1.2/ 2x-,4x-and 6x-speed for DVD-RW Revision 1.0/ 2.0/ 3.0 (for Video and Data) respectively; DVD-RAM 2.0,2.1 & 2.2; DVD+R Version 1.2; DVD+R Double Layer Version 1.0; DVD+RW Version 1.2. They will be available later this month.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: Akihabara News

2. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    If the price isn't too high, I would gladly retire my sony/optiarc... When I first build this rig, there was a case of two bad samsung writers, after those I got this Sony, but it can't even slow down itself when reading movie DVD's. So I need to use nero DriveSpeed for slowing it down (less noise) every time I watch a movie. And its kinda annoying. The LG in my >old< rig was way nicer to use, but no dvd-burning on that one.

3. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Does sony still rebrand lite-ons, b/c that would be your problem haha. Lite-on isn't good anymore. And that's all I used to buy b/c they were the cheapest and best :(
    Try crossflashing it to another model if there' a better version.

4. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Liteon is still a great brand, not sure what you are experiencing. As for these, they look good but speeds seem to be slow. Also, Yamaha Labelflash? I have heard of labelflash on Toshiba laptops but thought it was Toshiba's version of litescribe.

5. to6ko91

to6ko91

Thanks Received:
    if they are bellow 35 Euro I might get one .. :rolleyes:

6. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Burn quality took a nosedive. Maybe they're better now, but they were spitting out some pretty meh scans.

7. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Is this the model with the NEC chipset? Or a Mediatek Chipset?

8. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    i ran thru 5 liteons til i finally got a hood one and now im ok :)

9. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Ive used 5 liteons and all were keen bean with me, never any problems with them. Why 5? Ive changed and or rebuilt 5 systems or given them away :D

10. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I've gone thru 4 Lite-Ons in the past year and a half. All of them died. Giving LG a spin now.

Tho my most reliable burners are my Pioneers. I have ones that have burned 1000's of discs that are 5 years old, and still going strong.

11. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    I just read the model numbers (haha). I wonder if there's going to be a bare features drive released later? I like buying a 25 dollar drive, patching and cross flashing it to the J series :)

WTF? I didn't bother googling about crossflashing since these were supposed to be new. But it's just a 217 drive. These have been available for a long time, including s17J firmware.
    LAME! There is already a newer drive out (218 series).

edited for bad wording and edited again

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  12. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love Pioneer's equipment . . . this new model looks perfect to replace my current ODD.