1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Planets³ (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Games' started by blobster21, Mar 7, 2014.

1. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    There is also a game very similar to this already available on Steam, Planet Explorers.

Scrizz says thanks.
  2. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    :)

3. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Damnit, I missed getting in on the early access by 33 minutes. Shucks.

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I looked at Planet Explorers and Planets Cube really doesn't have much in common with it. Planet Explorers looks more like Ace of Spades to me, but with better graphics and non-player enemies.

If you missed it you will still have an opportunity to get it. :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    MT Alex says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    duh...

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  7. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  8. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Quick update, has anybody had a chance to play with the prototype build yet? I've been getting regular email updates, and this is probably one of the few games I've originally kickstarted and seen progress besides star citizen. Haven't touch the prototype as I'd quite like to play the game only when it's done. Otherwise, filling the time with Starbound!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  9. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I've had a lot of fun with Starbound, 121 hours worth, but I haven't played since June 24th. I do, however, check the daily progress updates on their website. As soon as I see they have pushed the new ship upgrade tiers I'll be back into the thick of it. As for now, I use the Fully Customizable Ship mod, which works flawlessly. Not on topic, but nifty.

RCoon says thanks.
  10. RCoon

Thanks Received:
  11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Not just Unreal Engine, Unreal Engine 4!
    [​IMG]

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this not the first voxel game to launch on UE4? This is huge. I hope Epic takes interest in their new clients. It could mean big things down the road.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    I'm not aware of any others. I've seen the use of it with that Sunshine game and Fornite. That's about it, both of which are cartoon-y style. Either way, it's gonna be optimised well, and look pretty.

13. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    And look pretty for this genre is something truly unique. I mean, 7 Days to Die looks nice but not Unreal Engine 2 (nevermind 4) nice. This game just jumped up about five prongs on my excitement ladder. Actually, I'd dare say this news just made it my most wanted game. I was under the impression they already had the engine they were going to use.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. RCoon

Thanks Received:
  15. RCoon

Thanks Received:
  16. Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    I hope there will be a possibility for a single player, to play alone and disconnected from the internet.

It looks cool and interesting. Make it compatible with Linux, single player, make it available for $20 or less and you already have my money, otherwise I am not interested.

EDIT:
    OK, have fun with it. I lost interest. :shadedshu:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  17. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    It has/will have single player.

Linux is never a priority because of the three, it is the most difficult to support and has the smallest audience.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Get real.

19. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I tried the pre-alpha and what they have is really good. Definitely the best voxel game around, fundamentally anyway. Once they get mining, crafting, and some liquid physics in there, it should already be fun/playable.

Building on the edge of the world appears inadvisable though. The way it transitions can get you stuck in walls easily and get disoriented. Hopefully they'll fix that in time but anyway, I'm really liking what I see so far.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Project update time!

https://www.planets-cube.com/news/details/43

"This month has been largely spent on gameplay. We implemented:

• A first version of the creatures spawning mechanism
    • The creature’s health bar management
    • The beginnings of the combat system using range weapons"

"We are also still working on the landscape generation. We now have the possibility to have various altitudes for lacs, cliffs along sea shores, steep hills, more dense forest but more scattered and so on…"

[​IMG]

Kursah and MT Alex say thanks.
  21. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Update time!

https://www.planets-cube.com/news/details/45

"We have integrated a relatively large tree, made of approximatively 23,000 blocks: the Japanese maple. This enabled us to sorely test our working tools and to implement necessary optimizations."

"We also made substantial progress on the player’s character animations: walk, run, jump, strafe, and fly. All of this is now operational."

22. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I really, really like the trees I saw in the previous alpha. It was the trees in the original Kickstarter that made me think "OMG YES!" Just look at thing:
    [​IMG]

By comparison, Minecraft and Fortress Craft trees are insulting.

I hope they do some more work on the shading soon. Compare the lighting on that tree from the video. Yeah, they have shadows on the ground but all faces away from the sun should be darker than those facing the sun. It seems they haven't incorporated that yet. They also didn't do much polishing on the shadows either (way too dark).

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Update #42

"We improved the cave generation tool. Now you can see the first decorative elements: light crystals.

[​IMG]

A significant part of our development time since the last two months is focused on gameplay. We are making progress on the creature’s artificial intelligence, which will bring a bit more dynamism to the combat.

We also worked on data synchronization in multiplayer. For example, the inventory is now handle by the server and replicated to the client instead of being directly handled by the client.

Furthermore all the basic inventory functionalities are now implemented (in the normal mode of the game) meaning that you can now move item stacks around in the inventory and stack / unstack items.
    In the action bar, the shortcuts will now show you the total quantity of the targeted item you have in the inventory.
    The shortcut used to put blocks are a bit different however. Instead of showing you the total quantity of material you have in the inventory, they show you how many blocks of the selected shape you can put.
    So by changing the shape of the selected block in the action bar, the “stack count” will change since a cubic block uses a material quantity of 6 whereas a tetrahedral block only uses a material quantity of 1."

"We would like to introduce a new team’s member: Charles Bardin aka Wonder B, which joined us as music director.

Until now, Reymantha, the project artistic director, was also taking care of the musical direction with my help (NeoM). But it is not our area of expertise, so things didn’t progress as well as we wanted them to.
    We met Charles one month ago, and he brought an additional proposal force to the musical team which is the main reason why we decided to entrust him with the musical direction of the project. This bodes well for the alpha!

Charles is one of the creator of the After Bit web channel we can see on the jeuxvideo.com website.

You can learn a bit more about him by visiting the team’s page which we updated for the occasion (he chose a game icon: “Zelda Majora’s Mask”, the fans will recognize)."