1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Planetside 2 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by catnipkiller, Sep 13, 2012.

1. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    I made a guy on the Matherson server, NC heavy. I was getting owned until I saved up 100 comms and bought an under-barrel grip to tame the recoil of my main weapon.
    Now I melt faces.

Will log in later, gonna get a few matches of DOTA2 in.
  2. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    and so I tried this game out, It looks good. I selected the red team.. I entered a match, got killed like 20 times... then I got my first kill... then died again for like 20 times and exited the game.

The game is awesome and that but how do I play this? any tips? :laugh:
  3. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I died a lot my first few hours and just now am climbing back over a 1 k/d ratio. A lot of it I would say has to do with positioning and knowing when to back out of a situation. I bet the other guys could give you better tips than that. I play as vanu myself.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Same thing happened to me.
    Join a 'working' outfit.
    Don't join squads which have a leader who does nothing.
    Doesn't even set way points, let alone kick nubs out who leave for other continents when the going gets tough.

Upgrade your armor to near max.
    Get forward grip and or a compensator for your weapon of choice.
    Get a better scope.
    I currently use X2 reflex scope with my HA and ENG.

As infantry expect to die a lot.
    This game is riddled with cheaters.
    On Briggs server I have encountered a lot of TR who try to hide it and a few NC who are blatantly doing it but it can take time to identify the ones who are hiding it.

Start using vehicles.
    A vehicle will usually win against infantry and stay around the squad.

If you want to XP farm for a bit, stay with a squad who is successfully capping ground and repair turrets afterwards as ENG.

In most cases I have been downed by TR with TRAC 5 or T9 CARV as HA.
  5. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I can second joining a good outfit. That makes the game awesome. I like the 1xnightvision scope myself but thats just me.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the tips guys, guess I'll be playing more of Planetside 2 then! and I also play on the Briggs server, being it the closest.
  7. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    My outfit leader is from Singapore, so if you are Vanu let me know.
    The outfit leader does a pretty good job of the admin work.
  8. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Triple station cash weekend!!!

X3 as much station cash as you normally would get per purchase.

So if you are wanting that new 1000cert weapon and finding it too much of a grind or envy that team mates composite armor with skull helmet,, now is the time to give your money to SOE.

The catch is, the larger the Station cash quantity the more you get, so if you go for $20s worth you get 6000 instead of 2000, $50 worth is 15000 instead of 5000.
  9. andrewhignight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man I genuinely love this game. If anyone wants to play with me and my bud we play pretty much every night. We play Terran Republic on Helios. PM me if you want a friend request. My ingame name is TheWindowLicker. Cya guys around.
  10. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I found this cool site that has shows your PS2 statistics in a much easier to digest format than in game.

They also make sigs like this if anyone is interested.
    [​IMG]
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Been wondering how this was done.

If you want the sig in your TPU sig, you will have to upload it.
    [​IMG]
  12. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    I changed some settings in game, running most at ultra (4) in the ini file, and texture filtering to 0. Also running 2XAA for now, will try 4 later, but I don't think the 5850 can handle that and be playable. Now I'm rocking ~60 FPS most of the time. GPU load is at a constant 99% and memory usage has doubled.
    Also using RadeonPro with a tweaked Planetside 2 profile. I have the game forced to run high priority and set flip que size to 2.

I'm having an post Christmas-dinner bloodbath here, it's pretty fun! TR are a pain in the ASS, they are everywhere and there are tons of 'em.
  13. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    To all those seeking invites to tpu outfit on matherson server for nc. I have been in ny for Christmas vacation. Il senf them when im back on the 3rd. Please post here for the nc invite.
  14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Been playing for a bit (40 minutes maybe) on the US Mathersson server (a quick look in the thread showed me that is were the TPU action is), battle rank 3 now. Vanu Sovereignty btw, the other ones felt like americans and a different kind of american. :laugh:

It is quite confusing though. I understand I'm to "capture" stuff, but I have no idea how I do that. I've just been running around with the squad where the action is and shot at things. I see constant messeges about stuff being taken but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

I do love the sense of scale it has though. The squad leaders tells us to do stuff, the battle flows back and forth and it feels like I'm a small grunt in a large, actual war. I will probably play more.

Graphic settings were medium as default but it was a wee bit choppy when there were a lot of stuff going on. I turned everything to low, and it got a LOT worse. Didn't restart though, so we'll see how it does the next time.
  15. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    I only get like 30 fps in this game maxed out and its still stable for some reason lol but yeah try and fight with the zerg and you wont die as much.
  16. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Zerg?
  17. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    Overwhelming an enemy with numbers - going for quantity instead of quality. Or just heal your team mates for fast xp.
    Frick says thanks.
  18. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    At facilities you will see shields in the distance and on your HUD.
    Some with lines running through them, some with tanks, usually one with with a tree looking thing and one which is a Tringle wiht the tree looking thing in it.
    Head to those areas and hold E.
    The SCU which is the triangle is usually the last to go.

Watch as XP whores run up against the force field in a race for the SCU.:rolleyes:
    Frick says thanks.
  19. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Aight been playing some more and yeah it's quite fun. It feels like it takes some time to gain XP or whatever though. Anyway, about performance: I've set everything to low, resolution is 1280x1024 and render quality at 85% and it feels like the FPS i get is pretty uneven. It ranges from 20-something to 60-something, under the same conditions. When there's no action I can get like 30-40FPS (if I'm at a warpgate for instance), but under heavy action I can get 40-60+fps. It feels like it isn't very consistent.

Any idea of how I can improve this? Latest drivers are used. Except "upgrading" of course. I know the game can be pretty heavy on the CPU but it feels like my CPU should handle it fairly well at such a low resolution..
  20. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Ya. This game is really cpu intensive. My 2500k is my bottle neck at 4.5ghz at max settings. I still usually get 50fps except when I am getting massivly bombed or something. 50 fps is plenty for this game.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Can't help with the FPS problem.
    I can run the game on high but putting all the bells and whistles on is a no go.
    Not sure what part of your system would not be handling the game but there have been complaints about its performance.
    Still it shouldn't need a relatively serious rig to play it.

The issue with having the graphics settings on low is mainly the giving an upper hand to the infiltrators are the silhouette is not rendered on low or medium settings while they are cloaked.

The grind feeling with the XP is to make people subscribe or at least put money towards station cash to purchase weapons or buy an XP boost.

It unfortunately has made some people very greedy in the game.
    If you have a sunderer, you can get a little XP for each player who deploys.
    Some people from the same faction will attempt to destroy your sunderer so they can place theirs in the same spot.
    This has also lead to numerous complaints about Anti-Air getting little XP for chasing off ESF.
  22. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Also people are shooting their own vehicles and then repairs them. :laugh:

I dont see it as grindind though, i just enjoy the game. :)
  23. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Yeah you get some squads who are mainly medics who huddle together and get shot by the enemy, reviving each other continuously for XP.
    I've had engineers kill me for helping repair turrets.
    I shoot medics who revive me just enough to gain XP just waiting for me to die again to get some more.

None the less it is a good game for the most part.
    I'm usually playing the role of ESF, Engineer, Anti-air MAX and Heavy Assault.
    On occasion infiltrator.

It's the some of the end users who ruin it for others with whining about everything being OP, not being able to get new weapons quickly and upgrades quickly.
    Team killing and lastly cheating.

Any way a cup of coffee and back to playing RAGE for me.
  24. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    you need to play while drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey after finishing a bottle of Wild Turkey AMerican Honey. Makes everything better. ^_^
  25. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Yes it would.

Played while drinking half a dozen a few times with the same result.
    Enjoy my time playing Planetside 2, get sloppy by the third can, browse TPU, have another beer, start watching a movie, drink the rest and fall asleep before the ending.