1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Planning on a Computer Upgrade - What to get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MadDogTen, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    2500k and the AsRock board are good choices, Id go for a G.Skill 8GB kit rather than the 4GB of Vengeance from Corsair, 4GB is a little small nowadays. The G.Skill kits are cheaper and just reliable. None of the G.Skill kits have ever failed on me.

Also, once the prices of HDD's drop again, i'd definitely go for a 7200 RPM drive, there is a decent performance difference but I understand prices in the HDD market is making that a little hard at the moment.

Overall a solid budget gaming rig! Happy gaming mate :)

2. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, Wow, I thought I switched that. >.>

The one I meant to put was Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Ca...

Costs the same with the Discounts, though it is 500 Gig's less, but that should be fine.

Also, I changed it to 8 Gigs for $13 more, Not sure about the brand, but it was recommend in this thread by another user before. Unless if you can find 8 Gig's of ram for $40, it will have to do.

Actually, Found one for $7 more, might just remove the Extra Fan. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I'd hold off on the hard drive and reuse the one in your current system. Hard drive are still expensive, though the prices are coming back down. Plus, since you have win7 64 bit, you won't need to do a reformat and will be able to keep all your games, files and programs. I've done this several times before with no issues.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. DoomDoomDoom

DoomDoomDoom

Thanks Received:
    I agree with this. Why get a new hard drive if the one you have works fine, right?

Just took a look over your current stuff, seems pretty solid. As a former Hyper 212+ and R4 owner, I can say from my experience that the heatsink performs amazing for a 30 dollar product. I had a fine experience with my R4s until I played with my case and started getting serious vibration from the 2 green LEDs models I was using. So they can potentially be a little noisy.

FWIW, the heatsink can be a little annoying to mount, and the included R4 can be a bit loud (mixed with the fact that pushing a CPU to a higher overclock can be a bit much for this one) had me upgrade. So it might be a thought to look into a different HSF, but this will do well if you're trying to save some dosh.

5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Have you looked at the NZXT Source 210 Elite? It would save you some money for something else and its a great case!

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, Humm.

It is true my current one works fine, I guess I could wait until the end of the year when the prices are expected to be normal (At least, from what I'v read).

Well, any Recommendations? I'm haven't really ever looked into the coolers, So I have no idea what I need for it to do what I want.
    They are only ~$5 More then what I currently have picked, Plus I kinda like the one I have picked. :)

7. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Have you thought about the NZXT Temptest Elite?

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    It seems cool, but there is the $35 Price Difference. I need to first pick out everything else.

Is there something wrong with the one I currently have picked out?

9. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    No just throwing out ideas

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, So I have looked around a bit more, and found this one:
    ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme V-Shaped Dual Heatpipe Desi...

Would it work nicely for me to OC to 4.3GHz Safely?

Edit- Would it be able to Overclock the CPU to 5.0Ghz Safely? (I'v read that people have done that, but want to make sure).

Oh, Ok.

@Everyone Should I get the Processor I have picked currently, as it isn't hyper-threaded?
    I could go back to the Idea of using my Current Case Instead of getting a new one, and get this- Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Tu...

Edit- Found Cheaper Ram in a Combo with that CPU- Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, L...

11. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    So The Total Price so far is $647.22 with the Case (Still Debating on if I should get it) or $588.24 without the case.

So, As it stands, this is everything I have picked out right now-
    Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, L... (CPU and Ram Combo)
    ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA ...
    ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme V-Shaped Dual Heatpipe Desi...
    and Possibly-
    NZXT Tempest 210 CA-TP210-01 Black Steel / Plastic...

Though, I still have a question I need answered before I can move on:

Would that Cooler work well for the CPU to overclock it? (I'v read that people have OC'ed it up to 5.0Ghz)

and If it won't, any ideas on what will (Trying to keep on the same price mark)?

Also, Would my Current PSU be able to power of it all just fine?

Edit- Also, 1 more Question, Would it be worth it to pay the $25 for the Intel Overclocking Protection?

I mean, I'v heard that it's pretty hard to actually break the CPU unless you seriously let it overheat (Hence, the Better CPU Cooler).

12. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I love my 2600K! Even though I do not use many programs that use HT, I always know that if the need arises that I am already ready to use it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. I'm Future Proofing my Computer so that it will last long as possible. Plus, with Windows 8 coming out fairly soon, it may take advantage of it.

I see in your Sig you Overclock, If you don't mind me asking, What Cooler do you use? Would you say that the cooler you have works good enough to keep it cool? and I'v heard you can go up to 5Ghz with the CPU, is that not true, or do you just not want to push it?

Edit- I would assume because your CPU is Overclocked and you are still using that cooler that its a pretty good one, So I will get that one instead.

14. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Idles around 29 deg and full load (ITB on full mem and 8 threads) its around 62 deg. I have the Corsair A70 with 110CFM zalman fans push/pull

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very Nice. I assume its this- CORSAIR CAFA70 120mm A70 Dual-Fan CPU Cooler one. Only one I can find (On Newegg, at least).

16. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    So, you've come a long way from your initial budget. Also from non-overclocking intentions to expecting to reach 5GHz on an i7, from a stock heatsink to a fancy 70+ dollar HSF.

Some things about OC:

You don't need 5GHz, that's only for benching and enthusiast's satisfaction.

You might not achieve 5GHz because:
    1. You are still on that initial "budget" board
    2. Not all i7s can reach that
    3. I don't really trust that PSU for supplying correct voltage needed.
    4. You might need water cooling or at least something like Noctua NH-D14 which I don't know if it can fit in your "budget" case.

So I would suggest to keep it simple and within the budget, get the 2600K if you can afford it, forget the bundle with the PNY RAM, get the Gskill Ripjaws, stay with that board or maybe get this better one:
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI S...

and get the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HSF. This will help you get 4.5-4.6 GHz if you really want to see if an overclocked Sandy i7 will help you more than a stock one.

17. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I said 5Ghz, I didn't necessarily mean I wanted to overclock that much, I just wanted to know if it was possible.

The Cooler I picked will work fine according to brandonwh64 which has the same CPU and Cooler, and Overclocks to 4.5Ghz. So I may as well keep it.

I will change the Ram to something with Reviews though. This looks good: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR...

19. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD FX-4100
    Asus M5A97 EVO
    Sapphire HD 6870

Maxed out Battlefield 3; no problem.

Why does everybody hate on AMD?

Having been an INTEL user since the beginning (and never owning an AMD system), I can vouch for AMD.
    They are GREAT for gaming.

I highly recommend getting the FX-4100 (and simply raising the multiplier to 23 will OC to 4.6Ghz; 100% stable).

21. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    BF3 yea cause it is mainly depended on GPU/Vram but most other games benifit from the sandy bridge.

Here is a comparision of the Phenom II 980BE (which is faster than FX 4100) against the 2600K

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=287

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Your CPU is definitely going to be the strongest point of your system for a long time to come and you should be able to run most of if not all of those games near max. Also if you are looking to overclock you might want to think of adding some extra fans to your case eventually depending on the temperature where you live.
    All in all looks great and long live the 2600K :p

23. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I highly doubt you can max out BF3 with that card. And you don't waste your money on an Fx4100 if you want to be just a little future proof.

24. MadDogTen

MadDogTen New Member

Thanks Received:
    The case I'm getting comes with 2, and I am planning on adding more later on.

I live in USA, California...So Ya, The Temps can get pretty hot in the Summer, So I will try to get them before then.

25. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I would go with;

i5-2500k
    ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X (1.35V)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Sapphire Radeon HD6870 1GB

Now with all that you're at $618 with shipping. Minus shipping and the rebates it comes to something like $597.95. I think going for a GTX560 is a waste (the HD6870 outperforms it across the board), as would be getting a 2600K. The 2600K really only benefits if you can max out the threads, and for gaming it also tends to produce micro-stutter (an issue common with HyperThreading). The i5-2500k is a substantially better buy in terms of cost\performance. I think 5GHz is a little ambitious, but you could easily get 4.3-4.6GHz if you used a Hyper 212 and popped another fan on there.