1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Planning on WC-ing my next rig, need advice :)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by satelitko, Mar 31, 2010.

1. satelitko

satelitko

Thanks Received:
    I want to build my next machine with WC, but I've never dabbled in that area. I was wondering if there is something like a beginner's guide, or what I should know before even trying. Like costs, both for the coolers/rads/pumps, and the liquid after that. And if someone can point me to a Europe based e-tailer or retailer that ships to Bulgaria, so I can look up prices. What's going to be in the system is a Phenom II 955 (965 if I get my hands on a 125W one, or a hexa-core, if they're not that expensive) and a 5850. Also, suggestions for a case will be welcome :)
    P.S.: Bonus points if you've personally tested/used/have the things suggested, incl. e-tailers :)

2. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Are you going to overclock the proc and gpu? If not then I wouldn't even bother with H2O due to the cost will far out way the benefits. Now if your going to overclock then the members of TPU will be glad to help you out.

satelitko says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. satelitko

satelitko

Thanks Received:
    Of course I will :) I want to push the maximum out of a "budget" build :laugh:

4. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Costs depend on budget and cooling wishes. For simply WCing a CPU, the H50 will do fine, but you can go all-out and splash tons of cash on something custom.

satelitko says thanks.
  5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 on H50, its as easy to install as an aftermarket cooler from what I heard. And its relatively cheap too.

satelitko says thanks.
  6. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I see alot of sites in the US offer a Swiftech kit but never really notice a GPU block with them. I've been more than happy with my current setup:

XSPC dual 350/355 pump res
    EK Supreme HF
    EK 5870 block
    2x dual 120 rads

If you can't find a kit with a GPU block and depending on your budget there is nothing wrong with starting off with the Swiftech MCW60 rev 2 gpu block but make sure you get some BGA ramsinks for the memory, vrm heatsink or some mosfet sinks for the vrm area, and some more heatsinks for a couple other spots on the 5850. One thing I would like to point out is you may be able to find a full cover waterblock for your GPU that comes close to the price of the MCW60 and heatsinks, and it's less of a hassle to install.

When it comes to liquid I only use distilled water.

satelitko says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    ridiculously easy. easier for me, as the actual mount is so much smaller than your average HS, and it fastens with metal, not those silly plastic things intel uses. i hate them.

+2 on the H50 - i have it on my i7 920 (@3.4GHz) (should be 2.6) and it runs at 40c at area, 50-55c core on load. i haven't even seen it in the 60s since installing it, and i make use of the CPU enough that it would be. I'm on this machine all day long, and it has held up great for months.4

when i tested it with no overclock, it got the CPU into the 30s and low 40s on load.

quieter, cooler, easy. i still want to WC my GPUs, so i may push for a full system, but this has been much better than i anticipated.

satelitko says thanks.
  8. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    For shipping to Bulgaria, I'd check if Aquatuning.de works for you :) Or maybe they have a local Aquatuning shop even.

satelitko says thanks.
  9. satelitko

satelitko

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everybody for the response, I've had my eyes on the H50 since forever, but I was looking for something more customizable and that will run a gpu block too. Does distilled water work with WC setups? I thought only special cooling liquids had to be used, that water caused corrosion and whatnot in the blocks.
    What's the difference between acetate, plexi, nickel and copper? Is it the heat conductivity, or do they all have metal contact plates, and only the top is made out of another material?

10. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    Distilled water is good, that's what I'm using right now. Just put a piece of 99.9% silver in the res and you're good to go.

Here's what I'd suggest:
    A pump + res (look for used ones here)
    HK 3.0 LC Block, works really well with a backplate
    2x MCR220 or NexXxoS Xtreme
    EK 5850/70 block

If you want a case that can hold a lot of stuff + 2x240 rads and doesn't cost a lot, take a look at CM 690 II Advanced.

Also Aquatuning is a good shop, if they ship to your location. That's where I bought most of my loop.

11. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    "Special" water is just clean water like distilled water or distilled water with additives in it to prevent algae and crap from building up within your blocks, rads, and tubing which can create drastic issues. Tap water is the WORST thing to use, especially with all of it's metal eating additives but because of all the crap that lives in our water pipes.

Just go to local grocery store that sells baby water. Baby water is generally always distilled. Over here a gallon of distilled water cost $0.99 and should last you for some time.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. willslick

willslick New Member

Thanks Received:

What purpose does the silver in the res serve?

13. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Kill bacteria :)

14. willslick

willslick New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks does that really work?

15. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
  16. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yes it does. it's been used for hundreds of years! :)

17. rickss69

Thanks Received:
  18. willslick

willslick New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the link
    I wonder if using one of these type suspensions would increase the heat absorption of water in a water cooling application. Another thought Adding a piece of silver to the res would undoubtedly increase the conductivity of distilled water.

19. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    This has been discussed a few times over here, and the unfortunate fact is that there is always something in the loop to make the water conductive.

Or as Binge put it:
    So basically it's always conductive.

Here's a good thread for some info and discussion on the topic.

20. willslick

willslick New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, that makes sense.

21. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Just one thing to point out when going with water cooling make sure you get a good RAD or 2 . A single rad 2X120mm is ok but far to small for an i7 IMHO ( barely enough for my Q9650 ) and if any one is really worried about water messing up your electric Mobo And if this is the ONE thing keeping you from it , get some conformal coating ( I just heard about this stuff myself ) And make sure you tape every part you don't want covered as it seals it off for good ! like this .
    [​IMG]
    I sprayed mine front and back . Then you are set it is water proof ( well sorta :cool: ) :D
    As pumps go I have a DD D4 it rocks :rockout: .
    As for your pricing needs go here has lots to offer and they have been around a while . http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g30/Liquid_Cooling.html?id=GGTpBCaX
    Good luck , I love my WC I would never go back to air .

22. Naekuh

Naekuh New Member

Thanks Received:
    No it isnt immediately conductive.

After it picks up excess CU+ ions, then yes the water will become conductive, but this takes some time.

Distilled out of the bottle is not conductive.
    You pour it imediately in your system its still not conductive.
    You leak and it touches dust... BAM it becomes conductive.

Its DUST u need to worry about.

My recomendation is you build a real custom h2o setup with a great pump, excellent radiator, and a res.
    Since those are 100% migration friendly, unless u step down to a smaller case.

23. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Nah, it's LEAKS you need to worry about.

24. Naekuh

Naekuh New Member

Thanks Received:
    id rather leak then have a dead pump on my gpu line.

It amazes me how scared newbies are in leaking.

Seriously guys, if the system is off, and you did a proper leak test, it wont leak, unless you have bad blocks.

If you leak with the computer off, its fine, ive given my computers a shower on accident, and all it took was a day baking in the sun.

IVe even prop'd up a 20inch box fan ontop of my MM to air it out from an accident.

25. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Pff, totally off-argument, we were talking about conductivity, not dead pumps.