1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Platinum PSUs and coil whine

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sttubs, Feb 22, 2013.

1. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    I've been looking at various platinum PSUs & in the product reviews on Newegg there are several posts that complain about coil whine. Why does this seem to plague the platinum's? The Corsair AX860i looks to be my best choice, but it is expensive. Any other thoughts or suggestions that I may be missing?
  2. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    I have a cooler master 1000 platinum, it doesn't have any whine that I can hear. If there is anything I can't hear it over my fans. I guess sometimes in skyrim and really demanding games I can hear a little noise, I always assumed it was graphics whining though

I wonder if It's caused by dirty power. Because I was reading through a thread about coil whine and some people would get it no matter what even with multiple PSUs of different brands, and with others it was barely noticeable. Maybe its from the PSU trying to correct for excessively high or low power input.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    people buying plat PSUs have higher expectations, and they complain about coil whine :p It's prob not the whole story but its part of it