1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Play games on a small resolution, on a large resolution monitor

Discussion in 'Games' started by BloodTotal, Jan 25, 2008.

1. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 26" 1920x1200, and I want to know how I could play games on resolutions like 1600x1200, and have the screen centered with black background on the remaining 320 pixels (so its the game screen, within a black screen). Some of these games don't have windowed mode so would there be a program that would work for this?

2. santino405

santino405 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just go to the Nvidia control panel then slect "Display" on the menu on the left and then slect "change flat panel scaling", then from their chose the "use Nvidia scalling with fixed-aspect ratio" and that should give you what you want

BloodTotal says thanks.
  3. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    is there anything I can do about my desktop shortcuts? I organize them and if I do this they all get displaced.

4. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 22" crt, is their any way for me to unlock that feature?

5. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you have nvidia control panel?

if you do go to start>controlpanel and doubleclick on nvidia controlpanel, then slect "Display" on the menu on the left and then slect "change flat panel scaling", then from their chose the "use Nvidia scalling with fixed-aspect ratio"

Jelle Mees says thanks.
  6. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    I also have a 1920 x 1200 resolution lcd and there are 3 ways to achieve what you want to do:

1) No scaling: This is where any picture that is less than 1920x1200 will be shown centered on your screen with a black border around it - In Nvidia control panel go to Display > Flat Panel scaling > Do Not scale. Also check in your monitors on screen menu and disable there if there is option.

2) Scaling by Video card: This uses some processing power of your graphics card. Same process as part 1) but select use Nvidia scaling or with fixed apsect ratio (if you do not select fixed aspect ratio, 'square' pictures will be stretched to fit your widescreen monitor and expect some texture distortion.

3) Scaling by monitor: This has no overhead on graphics card - As part 1) but select Use my Monitors inbuilt scaling and check monitors on screen menus to enable monitor scaling if option is there.

I personally find that option 3) gives perfectly acceptable quality, although do expect the image to be less sharp. If this bothers you option 1) retains all of the original quality while you lose a little bit of screen real estate to the black borders.

BloodTotal says thanks.
  7. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's just it, I don't see "Change flat panel scaling" because Nvidie detects a CRT. That why I asked, "is there a way to unlock it?".

8. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    works awesome for me

ive searched around and found nothing, if I were you id post on nvidia forums

Jelle Mees says thanks.
  9. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, thx, i'll do that. Thx for searching, couldn't find anything myself.