1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

playing games while watching a movies?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by regan1985, Sep 21, 2006.

1. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have asked a few time and searched the net and it seems like no one knows!which is supprising for the peeps on here lol.

i want to play games in my main monitor and watch a film on my 2nd it does work it goes out of focus and stops playing the film on the 2nd monitor.

i have a x850xt and the 1st monitor is pluged into the anologe slot and the 2nd into the dvi slot with a adaptor.

is there any software or configeration change i can make?? i think only the pro's will know this! who are you let yourself be known

cheers:toast:

2. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    what media player are you using to play the movie? what codec is it in? is the movie being played on a hi rez tv, standard computer monitor, or an ordinary old school tv? what game and what res is it running at? doing this with any new new game is gunna work the crap outta yur box. i have done this set up before and it can work but i eventually just built a seperate low end comp for a media center.

3. Canuto

Canuto New Member

Thanks Received:
    Having a dual core CPU would help that a lot.

4. Changis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why do you wanna do this? do play so boring games that you have to watch a movie at the same time?? mixing the sounds from both game and movie.. I really can't see the point of being able to view a film at the same time you play a game on the same system..
    you get DVD players with Divx and mpeg compatability very cheap now..

5. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    just set the monitors to not share the screen.

Then drag the media player onto one of the screens and play the game on the other

6. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    He doesn't have performance issues, it simply won't work correctly.

Some games aren't boring but give you enough time to watch a movie, think of turn based strategy for example.

As for a solution, with Nvidia cards you can set a full screen device, which does not respond to mouse or anything, it simply plays whatever media player is playing full screen. (WMP, VLC, and even embedded players in sites all work) When you start a game the movie should still be playing. Don't modern catalysts support such a thing?

If not perhaps you can try using WinDVD, WinDVD supports the same thing as well, no driversupport needed.

7. Changis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, is waiting for anothers turn so exceedingly booring you have to watch a movie?
    I play games, and have access to my entire library of films and tv episodes via Wifi to my PSP if I want to ;)

8. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    His motivation is quite irrelevant actually.

Perhaps he has 2 soundcards and plays the movie on another screen for his g/f to watch while he plays his game with a headset.

9. Changis New Member

Thanks Received:
    "Perhaps he has 2 soundcards and plays the movie on another screen for his g/f to watch while he plays his game with a headset." how sad is that? you have a girlfriend, but you'd rather play a game, so you put on headphones and hook up a monitor for her to watch a movie so she wont get bored? Watch the movie WITH her instead.. I dont know if people in utrecht care more about gaming than their GF, but you won't have one for long keeping stuff like that up.

10. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea or maybe he is playing online and wen he dies he wants to watch the movie :p....anyways it dusnt really matter what his reason is, lets just try to help the guy out :p

Yea, as dan said, cant u just move the media player on 1 screen and have the game on the other??

11. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't matter why he wants to do it Changis. If you can't help him with the problem, or have anything constructive to say, than leave it at that.

12. Changis New Member

Thanks Received:
    :shadedshu

oh well, have you tried Ultramon/?
    been a while since I used it, but if you're using 2 monitors, this program might do the trick
    if not, you still get a wide array of useful monitor tools

13. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    There is no need to insult anyone, if you have nothing constructive to say don't say anything. If you keep this going I'll have to report you to a moderator.

14. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    cheers for the constructive coments but i have tried moving the movie accross and it works fine untill i play a game when it goes in2 a window and vlc wma both play the film but as a blank screen, i have installed the program some1 sujested but with no luck!

any other ideas??

15. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well the easy way to do this is playing the game in a window. when you enter 3dmode and switch res's it usually black outs the other monitor. play the game in a window and your set.

16. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeh it does work wen i play in a window but i kinda need a full screen,the only other way which i have got to work is play the movie in a window ,as when i put it to full screen it either goes black or half the screen goes right and i have tried adjusting the monitor before any1 says

any other ideas?

17. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    what about getting a 9250 or another cheap pci card and running both, as i remember when running a seperate card for multi monitors you should be able to keep the desktops seperate. then you could run the movie on the pci card and the game on the x850xt.

18. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well if u need full screen and movie at the same time it cant be done to my knowledge. now what game are u trying to play while watching a movie?

by the way we are dying to know why you want to watch a movie and game at the same time

19. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ha
    i play loads of gta online and football manager on my local network so takes a while and i like to have a film or some other series!! for those who are interested,ps be warned dont try unless your good at multi tasking!!:laugh:

i will have to try having two cards attacted but im not sure if i can have both running will let you know with the results

20. Changis New Member

Thanks Received:
    or you could get a portable dvd player? :p
    or maybe a PSP and stream any media from your pc ;)

that's what I use when I play Heroes against my friend online

21. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    huh mine wont let me run a movie on one and game on the other maybe it just doesnt work?

22. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    u can probably get a program that will make it work....cant u set the player of the movie to "always stay on top"?

23. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeh tried setting media player on top which is fine its just wen u run the higher resaltion on the main screen is wen the problems come about!

there must be a way we can do so many things these days surley we can play a game while watching a movie of a powerfull graphics card

24. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    what problems come about?

25. Changis New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe you can use multires/powerstrip or similar, and force a resolution on the monitor your gonna watch the movie on, or set it up as theatre mode.