1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Playstation 4 Development 'under way' -Sony

Discussion in 'Games' started by CDdude55, May 26, 2011.

1. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    He wasn't saying whats better, he said they would dominate.

In any case, Sony's current security problems are hardly going to help. I'm a bit surprised they are even having another go.

2. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't saying whats better either, I'm saying they are both great at what they do. And I'm saying they maybe the samething, but their target market is different. Like a minvan owner isn't tempted to buy a lambo, or vise versa.

3. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Last i read that devs do not want a new console right away due to the expenses when switching to the new dev tools required for a new console. PS3 and 360 games are now making devs more money.

I would imagine we'll be on the PS3/360 platforms till 2013 2014 easily. But what do I know. I'm just guessing.

4. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    I think Sony should stick with the same gamepad,its brilliant for every genre apart from fps,but i'm sure people who play fighting games like Street fighter will agree the sony controller much better than 360 controller.

With that logic that just means PC gamers should change mouse and keyboard to something else as its been outdated for several years now??

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I like the old xbox controler the best. Nice and big. The PS controler and the new "S" Xbox controler feel like sticks in my hands. Crap.

6. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    The original xbox controller is what I use to beat muggers to death. Then I drop the console on their skull for the fatality.

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I know....but for a guy with big hands the old controler was the best.

8. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I got big hands, I just didn't prefer lifting something as heavy as the PS1 console for a controller :p

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    To each thier own. I like heavy things. Same way I feel about guns.

10. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Are you using the six axis or dualshock 3 PS3 controller?? The six axis is lot lighter than the Dualshock 3 PS3 as theirs a rumble in the dual shock3.
    Lol after using the six axis for a year or 2 i prefer the lightness now over the a bit heavier model.

11. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    :roll:i dont think well see the pc performance jump this time folks, were not just edgeing into the 3d gfx world anymore and none of sony,microsoft,or nintendo have the balls or bucks to put an 4-8 core cpu(cell or other) and a high end gpu in the same console,

i mean a gtx580 (like theyd dualgpu lmao) or its next or nextnext equivalent costs a lot of doe even to the oems so they wont spec too high on the gpu side for cost reasons and hence the next consoles from the off imho will be fully crap compared to a high end pc of the same time after all they cant get too crazy with the price and they may want to make money this time;) at u sony:roll: and ill then just dual GPU for a year if not before and piss on em with me Q6600 lmao based pc:D

hopefully q6600 will be retired to full time folding only and server use by then.

5 Million points folded for TPU
  12. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Next generation Wii is said to launch in 2012. Next generation PlayStation and Xbox are said to launch in 2014.

Nintendo is said to be focusing on user input again. I suspect they aren't keeping the current simple, remote design.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Nintendo is revealing "Project Cafe \ Stream" at E3, with a playable model, and shooting for an end of the year launch. According to rumors at least. I heard Microsoft was also going to announce their new console at E3 and try and get it out in 2013. I remember Sony initially saying they wanted the PS3 to last until about 2014, so don't expect a console from them in the next year or two.

14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I don't care if they release late, so long as they give proper dev tools right out of the gate. PS3 suffered hugely in the beginning because of a lack of them, and 3rd party games suffered from it.

They also need to stop fucking us paying customers. Removing features I paid for is bullshit.

I'm torn as to whether I care about ps4 or not. I love my ps3, but I hate the way Sony has treated me.

15. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    pshhh... i only own a Dreamcast and i'm happy with that! gotta love Homebrew and the new SD Card Adapter for it and the new OS i'll have on it soon :)

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  16. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Don't dis on the dreamcast. That was one of the best consoles of all time imo.

17. bucketface

bucketface New Member

Thanks Received:
    is this really news, other than confirming that they are indeed going to make a ps4. i would have thought that work on the ps4 started before the ps3 was even out the door or at least soon after. obviosly im not saying that at that stage it was much past the concept stage but still. the only thing of real note is that they are going to try to make it less costly than the ps3 was at launch, at least for themselves.

18. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think Microsoft does, Its why Microsoft got into the consul buisness. Microsoft knew w/ the right machine a company could have control over all the digital media a household purchases and get a take of all of it. Every game you buy, every movie and tv show you watch. You release a consul now thats so unecessary now but will be able to handle anything a common household will throw at it, say 10TB to hold all the games and hd video a household could consume, ability to stream and transfer files to other other next gen xbox's and xbox 360's(I also see 360's being turned into tiny device the size of diskmans that can easily be hooked up to tvs around the house), and microsoft(and maybe android) phones and tablets, and 2-3 video outputs.

19. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I completely agree. There was also major issues with the complexity of programming for the Cell CPU that really caused the PS3 to suffer. On paper the PS3 should wreck the 360, but it just didn't turn out that way.

I think Sony made a number of missteps well between letting a handful of hackers take every one of their customer's personal information from every server they own. For example, why remove backwards compatibility with PS2 games, and then never even implement something like a software solution? The PS2 was easily one of the most successful console's ever (the most?), so it was guaranteed that most people interested in the current generation of systems had one as well as some PS2 games they had already bought, why not make it so they only have to use 1 system instead of hooking up multiple consoles? I am still annoyed I need to keep my PS2 hooked up if I ever decide to play some FFX.

Another issue relates back to what you said about bad Dev Tools as well as what I said about the complexity of development. The PSN has very few good Indie\3rd-Party games in comparison to the 360. I have a friend that grabbed a PS3 a couple months ago and has used the 360 since launch, he was amazed to boot it up and see the only games worth buying (in his mind) were PS1 games (FF7) and games he had already bought on the 360. There were literally 0 unique titles that were worth investing in. His exact thoughts were that the XBLA had more games that he considered must have's, than the PSN had games. That is a major issue in the era of Downloadable Content.

20. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    exactly Xbox live has Geometry wars retro evolved 2 which is the best game of all time (even better on a plasma due to the dark blacks)

21. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Foxconn will begin mass production in October. Microsoft is Kinect only this year at E3.

Bundy says thanks.