1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Playstation 4 Shelved

Discussion in 'Games' started by KainXS, Feb 16, 2011.

1. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/kaigai/20110210_425921.html
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59567

Long story short The Playstation 4 was supposed to be developed by IBM and Intel at the very least but after the move intel made with Larrabee development(if you remember what happened) it seems Sony Shelved the Playstation 4 seeing both proposals wasn't worth it, to make up for it Sony changed up and focused on NGP development instead in order to drag out the Playstation 3's Lifespan

Microsoft is also in talks to suspend the Next Gen Xbox's Development

This gen is gonna be a long one, don't expect anything new until 2015 at the least.

Edit

I forgot . . . .. :(:(:(

2. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Isn't this good news? PC gaming will have a comeback!

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well, PC gaming sure aint dead... someone else in that fight just became the walking corpse.

4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    yeah I heard the next console cycle for both companies might not be until 2014.

I think PC Gaming would be better off with a immediate console cycle so developers can take advantage of the technology and put out more DX11 titles.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  5. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    possibilities...

1. We'll be stuck with DX9 for another 4 years, and if MS introduces DX12 with Win8, they'll just get kicked back

2. Console developers screw them and come over all to PC and we WIN!!!! HURRAY!!!!

3. OnLive becomes the biggest console as it's the 1st to be completely piracy free(you cant just pirate it)

6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah hopefully we will just see more DX11 games coming out for the PC finally.

Oh man that would be fantastic. Finally some quality good games for the PC.

I hope they do decide to stick it out a bit longer with current Gen.

7. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    It's not just DX11, it's properly optimized DX11 games, which would have been guranteed if the next gen consoles used DX11 and came by 2012. But now, we have to be ... umm... prepared for the worst if this news is true(or maybe the best!)

8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    never said it was dead, but a comeback from it's recent decline would be much appreciated :D

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i wasnt referring to you, but to the various threads that cropped up recently saying PC gaming was dead due to piracy/consoles etc

n-ster says thanks.
  10. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    umm.. why doesn't anyone ever MENTION console PIRACY!!!!

DriedFrogPills and AsRock say thanks.
  11. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    piracy isn't much of a problem on consoles because titles are sold in larger volumes.

12. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    It was obvious that Fony & M$ have no intention of releasing a new console (PS4/XBOX720) for at least another 4 years. They want to make back the cash they spent on Move and Kinect. But in all honesty, I can't see why SONY don't shock everyone and bring out the PS4 early. Move hasn't been marketed well at all so sales are going to be poor.

Because piracy isn't as big of a deal as the console title developers/distributers would have you believe. The pre-owned market damages them more.

Before I get flamed, I know this is not the case when to comes to PC gaming :(

13. kajson

kajson

Thanks Received:
    What also seems to be happening, which I think is quite logical, these wii type improvement with the moving n all arent accidentally happening right now.

The boring fact is, both Microsoft and Sony would have to put incredible expensive hardware in their new machines at the moment to make a successor that beats this generation's hardware with the clear margin people expect from a new generation.

So a couple /5 more years down the line, technology will have advanced enough to be able to build such a machine at acceptable prices again.

Also Sony wont be able to take much technology from the PS3 into the next generation(I understood they werent going to anyways), so they might as well wait till it's a bit more obsolete.

14. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    some of the other reasons is the PS3 combo _Blu/Game ad campaign,Christ if half of the morons buying that ad would look at just Blu-ray players for their computer they would save some money,A good blu ray player for comp cost around $80-$100 and the PS3 goes for what $180-$250 ??

It is good that they will not release a new console for a few years ,At least now we might (very Freaking Huge Might) get someDx11 games on pc.
    Also you guys see the new 3DS maybe Sony, Xbox are looking into that kind of tech for the next consoles.Would be nice if they had the kniect or that thing that the WII uses on computers,Imagine playing BF3 with out any thing but you movements.

15. TAViX Guest

I don't think this is good news or not. Think about it. In 2014 or 2015 when the new gen of consoles will be released, there will be tons of games there are still creates for ancient PS3 or X360. Imagine what kind of video cards will the PC users have!!! ATI HD 9xxx or even 10xxx or my bet is something else, or nvidia GTX 8xx or 9xx. Just think about how much power those cards will have compared to the ones in PS3 or X360, hahaha! It will be like comparing todays 5970 card with the GPU found in nintendo 64 or DS..haha.

I'm not sure how the developer will react to this, since by then all the PS3 or Xboxes will be easily cracked to run pirated apps.
    It will certainly be interesting to see the diference in graphics between the same game on PS3 and on a ATI HD 9970, for example ! :))))

16. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    That way all consoles should go and PC should also go, OnLive should be taking over as there is ZERO chance of piracy on that console.

17. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Wow, IBM and Sony were seriously interested in Larrabee? That's news to me. No wonder Intel kept trying for so long when it was always pretty unrealistic (a DirectX x86 driver that can keep pace with NVIDIA and AMD whom have hardware dedicated to DirectX).

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    LOL don't be silly.

19. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking that because the current gen of consoles will be dragged out for so long, that PC users will still get screwed in the long term. Unless developers get bored with the 360 & PS3 and start pushing the PC hardware, which I don't see really happening as consoles are where the money is these days.

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thankfully its already begun. console game makers are only making move/kinect games now, leaving traditional games alone for PC exclusives.

we'll see a period of suck, where they stop making games for all platforms and each console gets its own exclusives, but not long after that (1 year?) we'll start seeing devs willing to make games purely for PC, for the 'traditional' controlled FPS games and such.

basically, the more the consoles push for games that only work on their exclusive hardware, the greater the odds of PC only games.

21. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Such a long list of excuses and cover-ups to the fact that Japanese are tetraphobic. I mean, they knew it would have come to this and I think they are very afraid that because of that, their product will fail in the market, more than any other, or, at least, sell worse than the Xbox in most important markets and just be avoided in japan due to the number.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, there is GT4 that completely contradicts what I've said. Nevermind this, then.

22. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Current consoles only lack power but they surely have everything else a gamer needs so I am not surprised if new gen consoles are deferred further.

23. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I think this is very good news. Then they can both put out a console that will be able to play DX11 (maybe 12 by then).

Though we will see revisions of each console like we are at the moment. Maybe ones with SSD will become the standard etc.

24. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Delayed or non existent console successors may be good or bad for the PC, it's hard to say.

On the one hand, games houses will just write to the ever-aging console spec, which will tend to hold back better titles on the PC.

On the other hand, as the consoles age, games houses looking to give themselves an edge ie "differentiate" themselves from the competition, will make better titles for the PC, showing up consoles ever more. This will attract people back to the PC platform and give the consoles a run for their money.

I think both scenarios will happen, but in the end the second one will win out.

25. uhx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats would be a great scenario.

True its starting as many newer multi-platform games are 'enchaning' the PC version (which requires time and tf money) due to pressure - DUH. The next step is to simply make those PC exclusive, and thats... where publishers come in.

History shows tyranny always relies on the ppls ignorance and its up to gamers to inform other gamers there is a better platform - ESPECIALLY if the studios keep 'enhancing' PC version, it shows publishers (who now own many studios) that it is the prefered platform for traditional games.

Multi-platform games are the BANE of innovation and creativity.
    Even consoles benifit for arguments sake...
    Think current gen - Infamous/Uncharted/Ratchet (ps3) Zelda (DS)
    classic console - FF/RE/DMC/Mario/Crash Bandicoot/SSX/etc... theres heaps!

Not to mention the unspoken arguement multi platform splits gamming communities (true story). If sites like TPU and there intelligent readers just accept it things wont change.

LTR-FTP