1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Playstation Master Disc

Discussion in 'Games' started by Guitarrassdeamor, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    I was looking through some old software and came across an interesting disc I had never seen before. It is simply labeled Master Disc (CD-R 71PS) and has a Playstation logo on the front. On the disc itself it has the Playstation logo and a list with Title, Licensee Name, Ref. No, Rec. Date, Ver. No, and Disc Type (PS or PS2). I popped the disk into a PC to see what it had on it, and it had Knoppix installed on it...but nothing written on and the inserts are still in the case. Says That's CD-R on the side and has some cleaning tips and other text on the rear.

Was wondering if these are rare or what they are exactly? Found some information online but not a whole bunch. Any info appreciated, I just thought it was cool, being a PS fan.

[​IMG]

natr0n and hellrazor say thanks.
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    PLAYSTATION 1 BLANK CD-R The actual CD-Rs the developers used. Blank PS1 Playstation branded CD-R, used in house by Sony and Games developers to burn early versions of playstation games for use with debugging stations.

Actually, unlike the Dreamcast (which took a special kind of disc, remember) it's not necessary to buy a special CD-R for the Blue Playstation. Any kind will do

natr0n says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    usually those were sold in boxes, do you have anymore?

4. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Dreamcast needed MIL-CD ;) and special PSX was Net Yaroze

5. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    This reminds me.I used to make my PSX/DC backups on black bottom CD-R.

6. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    I read that off that website but I just didn't know if they were rare or useful or what since they were given to developers.

Nope, not that I know of - it was in a box of old software, old IT admin must have had it.

I remember the black bottom discs. :)