1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Plea For VGA BIOS ROM File: XFX HD7970 Dual Dissipation Black Edition (FX-797A-TDBC)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by David Lynch, Aug 23, 2012.

1. David Lynch

David Lynch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dear Friends,

I am such a wiener. I think I have "bricked" my brand new beautiful XFX HD 7970 Dual Dissipation Black Edition (FX-797A-TDBC). The card is still talking and can be flashed, but I don't think that the BIOS for this exact card is in the PowerUp database.

I have posted a request for help to the XFX web site, but I'm afraid that once they know I tried to flash my VGA BIOS they'll tell me to take a hike.

Does any generous soul out there happen to have the factory ROM file for FX-797A-TDBC that they would like to share (or possibly any ROM file that is presumed to be compatible)?

If so, please send to me either in here, or to david@sotaenterprises.com.

TIA,
    Dave
    Senior Brick Maker
  2. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Next time, save your factory bios before you go flashing. ;)

BUMP!
  3. David Lynch

David Lynch New Member

Thanks Received:
    You bet EarthDog, I should have saved BIOS first. Seriously wish I had now. I didn't realize that the factory BIOS would be generally unavailable. I guess that this VGA BIOS flashing is a more subversive, fringe action than say flashing a motherboard BIOS.

There actually 7 entries in the TechPowerUp database that *might* work with my card, but I don't think that any are a precise match, and I'm not sure what kind of wiggle room I have to mix and match. I know that with the BIOS that I chose, everything works up to a certain point--in fact I can login to Windows 7, but then during login, the screens freeze up and display a green pattern. This may be the point at which the Catalyst Control Center tray application starts.
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I assume it works in safe mode then?
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  6. David Lynch

David Lynch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes it works in Safe Mode or also in Regular Mode

Yes, it works in Safe Mode and also Regular Mode if I remove all displays but my primary which is DVI (my side displays are DisplayPort) and use msconfig to defeat all startup applications. I should be able to reflash with the correct BIOS.
  7. David Lynch

David Lynch New Member

Thanks Received:
    My god thank you guys so much what incredible fast turn-around I see that W1zzard has already posted the requested ROM file. I am going to try tonight with my freshly-made bootable USB drive.
  8. foeshigity New Member

Thanks Received:
    Simular issue different card

I have the 3rd release of this card W/ the two dvi ports. 797A tdbc v5.0 any one have the vBios for it.? if Not can someone preform a dump. Thanks
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013