1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please assist me in making the cheapest suitable build possible

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KKSlider1337, Apr 11, 2014.

1. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

If you've seen my other thread today, you'd know that I've just got a 7970 cheap off a friend. Assuming it all works okay in my main PC, I wanted to build a PC around my old 7870 that's as cheap as physically possible. The reason? To have as a gaming PC to use at work (we get 1-hour lunch breaks, and doing stuff like playing games etc. is not frowned upon).

Now, as this is obviously a bonus PC that I'll only be playing on a few hours a week, it really doesn't have to be that great. I don't mind if it's slightly bottlenecked by a sub-par processor, or something like that. I have some bits lying around I may be able to use. A spare HD, a copy of Vista (and I might have a copy of Win 7 somewhere, too), and 4GB of RAM - not tested this to see if it works yet. I know someone who may sell me an old gaming case too, but not sure.

Seeing as this is going to be a slightly shoddy Frankenstein of a PC, I don't mind hunting for cheap secondhand cast-offs. I obviously don't want to skimp too much on the PSU and get something that'll blow it up. Other than that though, if people could help me out finding a mobo and CPU etc. that would be just good enough to support the GPU, that'd be great. Thank you guys.

EDIT: By the way, if anyone is going to link me to components, it'd be helpful if they were UK sites. Thank you.

2. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I find Scan to be the best site in the UK for ordering PC parts. eBuyer is alright, too but it's not my main source anymore. Also Overclockers UK is pretty good.

3. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Harvest hardware from unused cubicles/offices. It's why I have 3 monitors and 2 computers along with DVD-Rs, binders, etc.

4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Check Scan, OCUK, Novatech, Ebuyer, CCL Online, Dabs, Pixmania, Amazon, Aria and Box websites for various hardware.
    I'd obviously recommend dual channel of some sort, 2x2Gb 1600mhz sticks or something, and a bottom line i3 would do the job nicely. Processor doesn't matter much anyway unless you intend on playing Total War or something, you could even get away with a top end Pentium on the cheap, combine with a B85 or H81 board! Look out for the Intel Pentium anniversary edition, it's overclockable!

KKSlider1337 says thanks.
  5. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    what games you want to play

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I have an 8gb ddr3 1600mhz kit for sale if you're interested. Its in my fs thread

7. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
  8. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    A bit of everything to be honest. Lately I've been playing SMITE, Titanfall and BF4, which obviously run great on my current machine with the 7870 and an i5 3570k etc. Wouldn't mind taking a minor hit in performance once the GPU is transferred out of it into this new one.

9. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    BF4 will run terrible on whatever you play on, processor in particular would affect the physics in that game. SMITE however, will run on a damn pentium and low end GPU.

10. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Ah, good point there on the processor affecting BF4. I wouldn't actually be too fussed if BF4 wasn't playable. At the moment I'm really addicted to SMITE - you're right that it's not the most demanding game in the world, but still doesn't run too well on either my laptop with a 4650 or work computer with a GT 610.

And thanks for the links Devon, I'll have a good look through those later.

Devon68 says thanks.
  11. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
  12. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    The Athlon x4 would be a nice choice.

13. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    OP, your system specs don't seem to line up with what you are saying. Update please.

14. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Done :)

thebluebumblebee says thanks.
  15. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    if that is the system you want to upgrade then just change 7870 with 7970 and u r good to go