1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please Help - Artifacts when booting / GPU-Z and Driver don't recognizes it

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Atos, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Atos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, I have two GTX 480, water cooled. Well, I flashed them to the new bios, released in the end of 2010, I think it was released a few weeks before the GTX 580 launch, I did that looking for better stability and maybe a little of performance boost.

The strange thing is that after a few weeks, one day I used my computer for a few hours with the 480s at stock clocks, and I turned off my computer. The other day I turned on my computer and it was showing a lot of artifacts while botting, and my OS/Nvidia Control Panel/GPU-z dont recognizes my video card anymore and I can't change my screen resolution.
    This is happening only with one card, the other is fine, no problem at all. I flashed my bad card to the original bios and I don't had any sucess, I tried with a lot of bios too. One more thing, the bad card it is my primary card.

What it can be? Dead card? If it was dead it is not supose to don't send video signal ?

Here is two pictures of GPU-Z, after I flashed to the original bios:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    One card works and the other doesn't. Yes, you have a bad card.

3. Atos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but can I fix it? Because it is working to boot and it gives video signal, the screen shot was taken with the bad card only, so I tought it could be a bios issue or something that I could fix.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You could try different bios' but that's about it. The cards should still be under warranty.

Atos says thanks.
  5. Atos New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will spend more than 200 USD only in shipping, dont worth it. Using -4 -5 -6 at nvflash it will clean everything and then change it to the new file, right? I will try more flashes and if I have no lucky again I think I will try GTX 570 and 580 bios, LOL.

But if anyone have any idea, please reply.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  6. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Sorry to say your card looks to be dead; raise a support ticket and RMA is the only way

nb: had this happen with a pair of GTX 480's in SLi, tryed for days to force drivers and flash gave up in the end.

atb

Law-II

7. Atos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply, like I said before I don't think RMA worth for my case, I will need to pay something around 230 USD with shipping. I will try gtx 570 and 580 and go back to 480 , I don't know, just 2 min to test and I don't have any other idea.

Cooking the card sometimes get it back to life, but I read that It will not long to much, is it true?

8. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

I have to admit, I was a little silly and very sleepy setting up an H2o rig at 1:00a.m in the morning and had an accident with a GTX 295 a £355.00 graphic card. I got a little H2o inbetween the waterblock and the PSB, the very next day I completed the system that I had been in a hurry to assemble and test; low and behold That card went "POP" I tryed to convince myself that I had not been carless and had that lump in my throat when I realised just what had happened.

Getting back to the point BAKING you need a very hot oven most won't cut the mustard; I learnt that day that Baking a graphic card in your own oven is not a good idea.

If you do have to do it; just to say you tried everything (before popping your $400.00 card in the bin). Make sure you remove all the plastic lables, serial numbers heatsink from the PSB first you will require an oven that will go as high as 285-290*F (pre-heated oven) to allow the solder to run ; place the PSB with the flat side down on grease proof paper and keep a careful eye on it, in the oven between 8-10 minutes max (8 minutes should do it); leave the oven to cool with the card inside do not attempt to move it straite after the baking process; make sure your kitchen is well ventilated.
    (Please do more research on this subject online before you attempt it)

nb: expect the taste of hot PSB to be in your food for weeks, needless to say I leave baking to people that make bread these days.

Warning DO NOT USE AN OVEN WITH A MICROWAVE BUILT IN

atb

Law-II

Atos says thanks.
  9. Atos New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm having hope now, I spent 1 hour more or less to find one GTX 480 lightning bios, and I flashed with this bios and it got better, now at least I have more colors. I'm thinking what to do next.....

Compare my first screen shot with this:

Screen Shot:

[​IMG]

10. Atos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ohh and I'm having artifacts all over my screen, but I think it is not in the screen shot, I can't say because I'm right now with the bad card and artifacts all over my screen.

Edit:
    I'm going to start bad company 2 to see what happens

11. Atos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm I can't open any game or kombustor, how can I stress my video-card? Maybe is cold bug, my gpu temp is at 24 celsius.... ehhehehe J/K about the cold bug..... but really how can I stress my card?

12. Atos New Member

Thanks Received:
    I discovered that I can't open anything because my current openGL version is 1.1, with this card.

I need something with openGL 1.1 to stress my video card...

13. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

You may only have 2D and no 3D, / if you can use the card like this you may still be able to set it up as a dedicated PhysX card!

Did the nvidia drivers load o.k?
    Can you adjust the resolution?

nb: flash back to the original bios, I don't see any fillrates in your screenshot

atb

Law-II

14. Atos New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, its says that I'm not using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU... LOL

I'm downloading the latest Nvidia driver, I was using I think 272, and the 275 is available.

15. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Good Luck

atb

Law-II

16. Atos New Member

Thanks Received:
    I flashed back to my original bios and it got back to what it was in my first screen shot. I'm using my good card to update, and I think I will modifi one bios with more voltage to see what happens

17. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Be carefull and take your time; good luck

My mentor Dr Robb (doctorate in real time computing) once said "as a profesional time is money and if you start to tilt the balance spending more time fixing; some times you have to cut your losses and stop fixing"

nb: don't forget to take a break from fixing and play some games, you still have a great card

all the best

Law-II

18. Atos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice, yeah I give up, the next time that I disassemble my system I think I will cook my card, but my food will smell pcb for weeks or maybe months? And it can be toxic?

Thanks

Law-II says thanks.
  19. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    card is fuked