1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please help! - Girl in distress

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Volkszorn88, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone, I'm on my boyfriend's account because I need help with an issue with my Asus G73JH notebook. I purchased my laptop in June and everything was working fine up until recently when I began getting a gray screen with vertical lines while playing Borderlands. When this happens the laptop freezes and I am unable to return to my desktop even after repeatedly pressing ctrl+alt+delete. At first it would only happen with this game.. but then it began to occur more frequently and has been happening with almost every game that I have tried to play. Sometimes instead of a gray screen it's a black screen but basically the same thing always happens.

I have tried uninstalling the ATI drivers and installing the latest one (10.7) and also updating to the latests BIOS (209) from Asus but not matter what I do I still have this problem.

I would appreciate any help or advice on what you guys think might be causing this and how I may be able to resolve this issue.

xoxox

2. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, looks like a nice notebook. It sounds like the onboard grafix might be overheating. If you just bought that, it should be under warranty still, i would take it back, esp as much as it costs they should fix it!

3. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    This was fairly common in the early days of the 5xxx series. I assume you have the mobility 5870? Try uninstalling drivers, booting into safe mode and running Driver Sweeper then install new drivers. I believe this is a driver issue.

4. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    That was my next suggestion as well.
    specs show that is exactly what it has on board

5. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Great minds think alike. :D

6. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:

As long as it fixes things for her, Then i would agree!Lmao

7. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice I am going to try that now and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

8. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As of late the newer drivers create havoc.

I've had bsod's (blue screens) when updating my desktop ati driver to 10.5 so I reverted to 10.4 and on my laptop I couldn't boot except in safe mode the last time I updated nvidia drivers so I'm still using 195.62

My advice would be to try the older drivers, even though you bought the laptop only last June.

9. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Try the driver swap using the safe mode/driver sweeper method as suggested and you may also need to try a couple different driver's, i would stay away from cat 10.5/10.6 if you can as lot's of people had issues with them. If the problem continues i would say it is heat related. When you use the lappy are you using it on a table or similar so that it can breathe well? Are the vent's clogged with dust?

10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    red lines normally mean bad GPU

11. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    I used driver sweeper and installed the 10.7 driver, so I'm seeing how that goes... if it happens again I'll probably try the 10.4 driver and see if I have any luck with that.

12. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    I didn't see red lines so I don't think that's the issue. I've only seen a white lines on a gray or black screen.

13. Baam New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Sometime's i get artifact's after a cold boot, i pull the HDMI and re-connect and everything goes away and work's as it should! Has done this with 2 different GFX card's, stock cooling & after market cooling, different driver's, on board sound, Xonar sound card, different PSU....

Weird eh? :roll:

I think you are jumping the gun just a bit....

15. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    OK so I used driver sweeper and installed the 10.7 drivers again and I'm still having the same problem. I tried to play COD4 and it gave me the gray screen again and after pressing the power button for a sec I saw an error message saying that "directX encountered an unrecoverable error" and then froze up to the gray screen again. So I just rebooted my laptop and it looks like I'm back to the drawing board for a different solution.

I don't think this is an over heating issue because my computer always seems to always be cool.. especially since I'm using a Targus chill mat. However, at the moment it says my card is 64 C... is that normal?

The weird thing is.. that this error occurs with some games but not others.

Happens with: borderlands, COD 4, COD: world at war, and COD: modern warfare 2

idk... I think I might try to download the 10.4 drivers. Does anyone have a link?

16. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
  17. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I am using the 10.4 drivers as well. 10.5 - 10.7 I has weird crossfire issues. Try the 10.4s and let us know.

18. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    I tried to install the drivers from this link but it didn't work. I rebooted my laptop a few times and it didn't recognize the drivers so it kept looking like I was in safe mode. Could it be because that was a desktop version? I went back to the 10.7 drivers in the meantime..

19. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    trickson says thanks.
  20. trickson

Thanks Received:
  21. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Wow, lots of readers. Though her first sentence is kinda of a bummer. Also grey lines, uhm, updating mobo bios wont help, i dunno how to flash notebook vga bios. I would advise you try older drivers

22. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Get older drivers update your DX and Please help! - Girl in distress will draw out all the guys . Or is that lonely geeks ? look at how many posts we have ....

23. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    "What are you talking about? We are just trying to help" says the lonely geek in the corner. :D

24. trickson

Thanks Received:
    LOL with no pants on LOL !! :eek: :laugh: You know it is the only real way to break us out of the E-Peen mode when we see a girl come on needing help the forums fill up fast tell me who's lonely ?

25. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received: