1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please help! Having problems w/ PowerColor Radeon HD4650 AGP!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Dimension, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    :respect: My problems are twofold: I have a system that's dualbooting Win2K & WinXP. In 2000, I have the monumental task of trying to find some Win2K drivers that will allow me some rudimentary kind of performance out of the PwrColor Radeon HD 4650, so I can get out of 640x480! Can't believe there aren't some generic Microsoft drivers that would give me better resolution than THAT!! I could swear there were with Win98! :cry:

And in XP, although I've got nice resolution, no matter what I do, every time when I start WinXP, I get this ATI error message "Could not load file or assembly `MOM.Implementation' or one of its dependencies. The system could not find the file specified."
    And if I try to load/run Catalyst, I always get this ATI error message "Could not load file or assembly `CLI.Implementation' or one of its dependencies. The system could not find the file specified." :banghead: :confused: :banghead:

Any assistance you could offer would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!! :)

2. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    on the xp install .net framework 4 and 3.5 :)

3. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still getting same messages on XP after installing .Net 4, any ideas about Win2K?

:confused::banghead: I'm still getting the same ATI error messages after installing .Net 4 on XP..... any ideas about 2000? All the drivers I've been trying, when you point Win2K to the .inf file, the Models box (model of card) keeps coming up blank.... frustrating!! :confused::cry::banghead:

I hope you can help me.... I'd sure appreciate it!! :respect: Thanks! :)

4. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    never mind 2000... resolved that issue... still need help with XP though... PLEASE

Never mind 2000... resolved that issue w/http://www.navozhdeniye.narod.ru/vbemp.htm...
    Still need help with XP though... PLEASE!?! :respect::cry::confused:

5. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

HD 4650 is a legacy device and may not be compatible with the *latest drivers Catalyst 13.4

try drivers from here - Latest AMD Catalyst™ Drivers for Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 Series + Agp XP 32-Bit XP 64-Bit

Source - http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

Edit: Catalyst 13.1 [13 = Year & 1 = Month it was released] Month the driver was released is the important part.

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  6. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, Law-II, Catalyst 13 IS what I have installed... I thought that WAS the newest!! :) ;) :eek:

7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Dimension says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you, TRWOV!

However, everything is not exactly perfect...
    I loaded 12.4, everything worked perfectly & beautifully, and then when I restarted, after restart,
    it came up in 640x480x16 color mode with some message about the driver being for an older OS or some such thing?? (I get that msg when I go into DisplayProperties)
    Weird... and if I use a different driver, I get a different kind of problem... :confused: :cry: :ohwell: :ohwell:
    The only time everything works great is after I install the 1 driver, and before I restart.... ??

9. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    What board are you using? What message is shown in the device properties in Device Manager?

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  11. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Those 12.6 drivers are the legacy drivers, not the AGP hotfix, if you go to the 12.6 legacy driver page the download link is the same. I've sent several messages to AMD but they haven't put up the correct link for some reason.

The latest AGP hotfix drivers are 12.4. They are available at Sapphire's website.

Law-II says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    12.4's are the newest drivers i got working for my cousin on his AGP box, running Xp 32 bit though. Getting them installed/working was a RPITA though! :banghead:

You can try and grab drivers from where ever you like, but 12.4s will be the only ones that work. Unless Ati/AMD did some work over the last few months for legacy users? :laugh:

13. Black.Raven

Black.Raven

Thanks Received:
    have you tried driversweep then install 12.4 again?

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks so much to all for all the great ideas!

Thanks so much to all for all the great ideas!
    Strangely enough, though (although from my perspective, I don't remember doing anything ANY Different than what I had done previously), Round 3 (I've taken to calling my attempts at making everything work good Rounds (the ones where Catalyst work, anyway,
    which is all the recent ones ever since TRWOV's great tip got it working) seems to be working & sticking!
    Ever since I (couldn't have done it w/out ya) got Catalyst working, I'm leaving IT ALONE....
    not touching it... not taking any chances on messing it up again...
    I restarted & it didn't come up in 16color this time! Apparently, from what Catalyst is telling me, the secret to my success this time may have something to do with the fact I used a newer Direct3D driver? Because all the other version #s are the same as round 1, but it's working better this time post-restart... only difference is a newer Direct3D driver.... hmm....

Anyway, time will tell... thanks again, & I'll see if I can put in some additional system info for you guys...

15. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    Regarding device mgr, I basically have 2 drivers for the display adapter that Windows likes- for the ATI Radeon HD...
    It doesn't like the ATI Radeon HD 4650 driver I have, what it does like is I have 2 drivers that Just say ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series & nothing else, I get a yellow ! or whatever on the 2nd one in device manager, so I've been sticking with the 1st one, that's the one I'm having the good luck with right now... no device mgr yellow on it... all good in there... will let you know if it starts acting up again...

16. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    For your issue to be fixed on XP (this is how I fixed it anyway) uninstall all ATI drivers, install .NET 4.0, reinstall ATI drivers.

17. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guess I spoke too soon...

I guess I spoke too soon... it 16colored again... :banghead:

BTW, I Did install .NET v4.... !

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  18. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Certain versions of the Catalyst Control Center use .NET, I guess that is why.

My take on the solution, within Windows XP (I cannot assist you with Windows 2000 yet, let's say "first things first").
    First uninstall the current drivers and use the registry cleaner in CCleaner. Reboot the computer, and install
    the Powercolor HD 4600 series driver for 32-bit Windows XP.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    The AGP hotfix drivers already have the .net 2 framework installer which is what that particular version of Catalyst needs.

Dimension, what are your system specs? I'd like to know what board are you using. Can you post a screenshot of the device manager when the screen is in 16bit color? Also the 4650 properties (right click, properties). With all the problems you're having I think you're using a SiS based board or something.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    I already solved my Win2000 problem, thanks anyway!

I already solved my Win2000 problem, thanks anyway!

Chevalric, what all does that registry cleaner clean out, anyway?
    *respectfully appreciative yet apprehensive*

Also, C., I need the username & password login authentication to access that driver file...

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  21. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    I entered my SystemSpecs best I could into UserCP- are you unable to see them?

The system specs should be under my name & stuff on the left in my posts....

It's a Dell Dimension 4600i w/ a Intel Springdale (i)865PE or 865G chipset...
    don't think it's SiS... see link below to srvc. manual...

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...ktops/dimension-4600_service manual_en-us.pdf

Do I have to have it in 16color when I give you the 4650 properties? It's running good for the moment... :):cool::respect:

22. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    It deletes entries in the Windows Registry, that might be left behind after the de-installation of programs. In this case I suggested to do this because of old junk of previous driver installs might muck up the new driver install. If you don't trust that program, you could try to skip that step.

There should be no password, because the druiver download link is public (from the Powercolour website).

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's an FTP link.... so, what, I login with Guest & just hit enter for the password?

I understand why you suggested it... I was just curious how it knows what to delete... I might try it...

It's an FTP link.... so, what, I login with Guest & just leave the password field blank?
    A window is popping up requesting I login for Authentication....

wait, with the login box still up, I may still have gotten it in the background with my dnld mgr....
    can you verify the filesize of the zip file?

24. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Do not use download managers, those fuck up that stuff all the time. Assuming you only download one thing at a time you should be able to download the zip file with your web browser (I assume you are using a dial-up or ISDN connection, else you would not bother using a download.

The size of the file is 59 MiB.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Dimension New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I got it... using DSL... finally... just recently switched over from dialup

Yeah, I got it... using DSL... finally... just recently switched over from dialup...

Chevalr1c says thanks.