1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please help me choose

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by spyder66, Dec 12, 2012.

1. spyder66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which better be worth it Asus V Gene vs Asus Sabretooth Z77 and finally Asus Maximus V Formula? Or recommend something that is worth the price. I would like to overclock the i5 3570k to 4.6 GHz and use for games.
    Thanks in advance!
  2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Whats your budget?

There are other options then those. Frankly Asus boards have taken a shit in the wrong direction lately.
  3. spyder66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    $ 300
  4. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    1) that overclock can be done with nearly ANY mobo
    2) those Asus boards are fine if you look for some of their special features, but not necessary at all
    3) the Gene is tiny, the Sabertooth is sober and the Formula is top class with features for extreme and crazy overclocking (like it's brother the Maximus Extreme)
    4) but 4600 is not extreme overclocking
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have to go Asus then go with the Asus Sabretooth Z77. However as Phenom said there are better options out there.
  6. spyder66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like the asus design, and one of my friend recommended to go with asus.
    erixx first time I will buy a god cooling, and after I try to oc 4,8-5ghz of course if I can.
    I expect if there is a better recommendation. Sorry for my bad english.
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Asus boards are not what they used to be recently and I run one. I would look to AsRock or even a few top shelf Biostars out now. Hell even some of the newer Gigbytes.
  8. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I would get a z77 ASRock board, they seem to be the best bang for the money right now. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As some have said, there are a lot of decent boards out there that will give you a healthy overclock..... personally I am a Gigabyte man myself, even the Gigabyte Z77 DS3 will give you those kind of overclocks and it is considered a budget board, you could even add one of the new Corsair H100i's with it for the price of the Formula, probably for less in fact...... not taking anything away from the top end Asus boards as they are really good.

Once you agree that many boards will give you those kind of overclocks, then it's down to features...... if you buy any board that is high end, often it's not high end because it overclocks better (although I appreciate in many cases the cooling and phase design is superior) it's high end because of the sheer amount of features..... if you don't need half of them features you are flushing $ down the crapper...... just my opinion.
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    The reason I say better options then Asus boards right now is because of the driver and bios support for thier older boards. Once the latest mobo comes out they tend to drop any support for a single generation old mobo. All the windows 8 drivers for my mobo are still in Beta and it took over a year for them to update the bios to fix a simple USB issue. Thier bios support is really lacking latley and I used to be a die hard Asus mobo fan.
  11. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Well on my previous Asrock P67 I installed a beta USB 3 driver from Eiton or whatever own site, Asrock never released it.
    But when a new OS comes out it's praying time babey!!
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Not from when the beta drivers are from June :laugh:
    erixx says thanks.
  13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received: