1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please Help me choose

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by alienik, Sep 26, 2013.

1. alienik New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys, I have an enormous dilemma of choosing between EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti SSC 1GB and ASUS HD 7790 Direct CU II OC 1 GB. the prices are on the exact same level.

Even though I have gone through tens of reviews - also on the techpowerup, I just cannot make a decision.

What to pick for the best results - Full hd Minimally - 1600*900, High AA, AF and pure framerate.

The games I play are usually of type : Metro 2033 - last light, Tomb raider, Far cry, Mass effect. So mainly FPS shooters, Some of the shooter RPGs, and action- adventure.

Which one, and why should i pick that card interests me the most. I have an AMD X4 740 K configuration, and not planning for SLI or Crossfire.

Many thanks for your help guys.

Have a great day

Michal Simkovič
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    I would jump on the Asus GPU..only really out of personal preference. I think they give you a little more bang for your buck ;)

JG :toast:
    alienik says thanks.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    650ti because I heard Asus warranty is a steaming pile of ****.
    RCoon says thanks.
  4. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    have heard or read EVGA support are one of the best.... so perhaps go with 650TI. i dont own nvidia cards but someday i will......

but AMD cards has a free game....

Tomb raider game is AMD optimized.

Metro 2033 and LL are nvidia optimized....

if you like phycs game, go with green.... but only few phycs games there is...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    http://www.maximumpc.com/best_cheap_graphics_card_2013

The short answer is the 7790. While the extras have changed, the 7790 is still a solid performer. The only reason I can think of to choose the 650 is Cuda and Physx. Neither of which is a big deal in the price range you're looking at. The 650 was a great card, but the 7790 offers a better value.

Edit:
    The exact same cards were in that article...hmmmm.... Either this is an extreme coincidence, or something foul is a foot.
  6. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:

7790 is about 10% faster than that one. also i have one and it is really quiet, just consumes 90W or so.

if you can find a 650Ti boost, get that one, as the boost ones are faster.
  7. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    To be perfectly honest I'd save up a little and get an EVGA 760 GTX instead. It's a superior card for not a lot more ($100) and will last you a lot longer without having to upgrade. You should easily be able to run 1920x1080 with high settings in all but the most demanding games (Crysis is ridiculous no matter what setup you're running).

I always prefer Nvidia cards these days, my experiences with ATI drivers has been less than good and my last several cards (EVGA 260 FTW and EVGA 570 GTX) have been very good for me. I'm personally looking at an EVGA 780 GTX superclocked but that's an entirely different price level and if I wasn't considering a 2650x1440 monitor I'd probably get a less expensive card myself.
  8. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    maybe... but AMD has shown to the world that they finally woke up and they are trying to work hard to fix their drivers....
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    What is the exact budget? If I would take a Nvidia GPU, then I would take an EVGA card, because warranty doesnt void if you change the cooler..
  10. _larry

_larry

Thanks Received:
    I would say jump the gun for a 7870 or a 760gtx. I went from a 7770 to a 7950. Seeing as the 7790 is only like 10-15% more powerful than the 7770, you are not going to be very satisfied if you want to crank up the eye candy. Especially in games like Metro 2033, tomb raider and far cry 3. I was hardly able to use 2xAA with the 7770 for most new games without turning down other settings first. My 7950 handles 1920x1080 on ultra in every game. However, anything above 4xAA I start to notice lag pretty easily. I would wait a while for AMD to release their new cards. Prices will come down on current gen high end cards and you will be much happier with a higher end card then settling for the mid-range. Trust me.