1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PLEASE HELP! video card/motherboard trouble!...?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by THELOGANATOR, Jun 24, 2009.

1. THELOGANATOR New Member

Thanks Received:
    i put an older radeon 9250 in pci slot and a radeon 4670 in pci-express slot thinking it would increase performance or something, but when i booted up the only one that worked was the 9250..Im not sure if I damaged the pci-express slot on my motherboard or the video card...help me please :respect:
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well remove the 9250, does the 4670 work then? If so boot into bios, you should have an option for boot to display or primary display, it will show PCI and then PEG/PCI-E/PCI-Express. Well many MB's I've dealt with have this option. You won't gain anything running that 9250 aside from higher power consumption, if you wanted to run more monitors, it might be useful for that...but really it's a good backup card for those "what if" situations imo.

Welcome to TPU, and hopefully your issues is resolved quickly and easily.

:toast:
    THELOGANATOR says thanks.
  3. THELOGANATOR New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey man thanks for the reply, but honestly Im not sure if the 4670 works..I mean i put it in countless times and i get no signal from the card to my monitor.. I think it works, lol the fan runs XD I tried fooling around with the bios but honestly I don't really know THAT much about computers to know 100% exactly what Im doing :confused::banghead:
  4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Ok, well did you remove the 9250 from the PC yet? I would start there and see if the 4670 shows an image, if not, try another output on the card if possible, make sure if there are extra power connections on the card that they're connected to the correct cable from the power supply, etc. Keep us posted!
  5. THELOGANATOR New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wasnt really going for dual monitors, all i was trying to do was play gta iv more smoothly it would be kick ass to have 2 monitors..or afford it:cool::nutkick::pimp::rockout::cry:... I just tried again going into the bios and making the PEG the primary slot, then I shut the pc down, and put the 4670 inside. I turned it back on and I didnt receive any signal at all again so this time i kept the 9250 out and now im just running on the mobo's onboard 2100. I think I killed my graphics card(4670) because when I tried the 2 graphics cards inside it, I turned the pc on and got a picture (monitor connected to just the 4670 of course) for 2 seconds and it died. Also when I put the 4670 in everything seems to work fine just no picture, and when i take it out the bios get all retarded and doesnt allow me to just use another card or anything..so I just reset the bios and everythings fine again using onboard or the 9250. thankyou for your time and help, its been greatly appreciated!

:toast:
  6. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear though that sucks big time man :( I hope you can get an RMA
  7. THELOGANATOR New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol but its all good, moneys just paper but new video cards are pure happiness:D
    but if my pci-e slots the one thats really damaged then I is indeed very screwed:ohwell:
  8. rockit00

rockit00

Thanks Received:
    Hey OP, I just spent 6 hours today breaking my computer and fixing it again. I would bet it is your motherboard bios and not your hardware that is screwing up. Before you RMA everything, Reset your bios, remove the battery and all but one stick of memory. Let things sit for 15 minutes. Then start over and set up bios and video card. If all goes well shut down and reinstall the rest of your memory.
  9. THELOGANATOR New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wait what really is RMA? and how do I do all of this? i know how to remove the battery, and I dont want to sound stupid but the memory is one of the 2 kind of long card things on the motherboard next to the processor right?
  10. rockit00

rockit00

Thanks Received:
    Hey, sorry but I forgot you were new to this stuff. RMA is when you really have a bad piece of hardware and you return it under warranty for a new part or a refund. Don't RMA anything just yet. Yes your memory is those two long things next to the processor. Maybe you should hold off on removing them and see if you can find a little tutorial on this type of thing. That is best before you go snatching stuff out and putting stuff back in. I can help but I'm not all that good at explaining it!
  11. rockit00

rockit00

Thanks Received:
    Any luck on your motherboard and memory yet?
  12. THELOGANATOR New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah man...lol i think i should RMA the vid card because the memory removing trick didnt work :[
  13. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Did you try removing the battery as suggested earlier?? This has solved many problems for me in the past when I screw my bios up. :D If you haven't tried it, pull the battery and let is sit for a good while (20-45min) then pop the battery back in with JUST THE 4670 INSTALLED and boot it back up. Let us know.

Edit: be sure and unplug the PSU from the wall prior to removing the battery.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  14. rockit00

rockit00

Thanks Received:
    Hey OP, I'm sorry I didn't Explain myself earlier. You are doing fine for a newB. What I was trying to tell you is that you need to clear your CMOS. I installed a faulty Power supply and I ran into the same screwy bios stuff that you encountered. I thought I'd fried every component in my system. When you corrupt your CMOS it then Corrupts your bios and you need to clear everything and start all over again. I still think your hardware is OK. Trust me!!! You have to remove the battery to make sure that your motherboard is drained of juice. Then re-install your system bit by bit. It will work. It took me several hours, but it will work! Good Luck Noob!:laugh:
  15. THELOGANATOR New Member

Thanks Received:
    wait so your saying I should take my whole computer apart and then completely rebuild my entire computer again? I have tried the battery thing and memory thing for 15 minutes nothing happened...do you think if i take out the battery and let it sit over night that in the morning it will work?:D
  16. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    lmfao nah any longer than a minute is a waste. here's a quick summary of what i would do which consists of what everyone has said only in a list :D

-remove the circular shiny thing, the battery.
    -unplug your PSU from your mobo, the long/thin connection from your power supply that is usually connected near the edge of your motherboard
    -remove all but 1 memory stick
    -let sit for a good 30 sec just to be sure she's lost all her juice
    -after the wait, put the battery back in
    -plug in that long/thin connector from your PSU to mobo(usually called 24-pin)
    -leave only the 1 memory stick in.
    -ensure your HD 4670 is seated COMPLETELY in the PCI-E slot
    -connect your monitor to the DVI/D-SUB connector on the left on the back of your card
    -take a shot of tequila and power that baby up and hope all goes well.

course if you've tried all that then i would say yes, RMA your card. RMA= returned merchandise authorization, which you can get by going to sapphire's website and talkin to their support with a message explaining the issue and what you've tried to solve it to no avail. They should follow up with either a few things to try or RMA information(or both :p).
  17. rockit00

rockit00

Thanks Received:
    Hey, No No No. I'll tell you my story. I'm running an IX38 Quad GT. I wanted to upgrade my power supply from 600W to 700W. I took out my perfect 600W power supply and installed the new 700W power supply. I turn on my computer and the new power supply only spins the fan and lights up the LED's for a split second. It does this every five seconds. Over and over underpowering my system. I take out the 700W and put the 600W back in. It starts behaving like the 700W that I just removed!!! My bios is corrupted My CMOS is Corrupted from dirty low power! No video Card No Display No Keyboard No mouse. It took me 2 hours just to get into bios to try to fix it. Even after I reset my CMOS and Bios, it took me several trys to boot and get video and keyboard input back. If you corrupt your CMOS and Bios loading second video card (9250) or whatever. Your CMOS and Memory and Bios will malfunction until you remove all power from your system. Clear your CMOS. Reset your Bios. Reinstall your Memory one stick at a time until everything boots up properly. All of my hardware is OK. My computer is back to normal. I had to go through HELL to get back there. Your video card is probably fine, Your motherboard is probably fine, Your memory is probably fine. Your bios is probably Flaky. Your CMOS is probably Flaky. Removing your battery will help. Removing one stick of memory will help. When you restart tomorrow and reinstall bit by bit you will probably succeed! Sorry to make it so long, but I told you! NooB:laugh: