1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please Take a look,E6400 Stuck at 2.8Ghz!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by LYNCHIN, Oct 7, 2007.

1. LYNCHIN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Everybody. I have recently been trying to Get my E6400 over 2.8Ghz. So Far at 1.35Volts,Ram at 700Mhz 5,6,6,18 2.1 volts. Temps are fine in the 40-45's at load. I Ran My Chip at stock speeds and ran my Ram at a 2:3 up clock to see if the Ram was Stable at 800Mhz.. After Running the Ram at 1.9 volts My Ram ran orthos for one hour with no errors or warnings using the stress some Ram test. Also ran Memtest and all the Ram passed with over 100% coverage. So it seems that my Four 1 GB sticks "get along" Overclcoked to 800Mhz at moderate volts. Knowing the Ram can run at 800Mhz without issues, where do I go from here. Increasing the CPU volts won't do it either. I tried a run of Cpu at 1.4 volts set at 400*8, Ram at 2.1 volts and at loose timings 5,6,6,18 to see if there was indeed a FSB hole that some speak of. But still no post. So I can not get above 2.8Ghz no matter what I do. After looking through some of the threads on this forum related to overclocking C2D it looks like there is a wealth of info for me. Just need the right stuff. Some people say to increase the North Bridge volts. but my board(at least this BIOS version) does not support that option. I am thinking of Flashing my BIOS to version 1604, But I have heard that BIOS version 0806 is the last "Rock Stable" BIOS for this board. I have never Flashed a BIOS yet, And my Rig is still under Warranty for three more months. My computer store says if I flash it and something goes wrong then I am paying the Bill. So What do you guys think?? I only will Flash the BIOS unless it is my last resort. There has to be something I am missing. I'll be waiting...:banghead:
  2. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to TPU :toast:

Click on User CP and click on Edit System Specs.

So we know what your System Specs are.
  3. someguyfromhell

someguyfromhell New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey lynchin

i have the same proc paired (check my system) at 1.425 volts @ 3.3ghz. btw what board do u have? maybe set your ram to 1:1 ratio when at high clocks (eliminate potential ram oc issues). then try 400 fsb (to maybe pass that hole) and crank up teh volts:rockout:
    also try increasing the fsb voltage, nb & sb voltage. also turn off any spread spectrum too.
    other tips:
    turn off speed step
    disable unneeded crap (serial, parallel)
    disable any ram oc option / pcie oc option
    set ram to 2t (my pc failed at 1t)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Please fill out the user cp and tell use the specs of the comp that way.....that will defiantly help alot.
  5. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    lol I guess he for got to put yes to show system specs

Processor: C2D E6400

Motherboard: ASUS P5B/BIOS V.0806

Cooling: Zaman CNPS 9500 LED

Memory: 4 1 GB Sticks Kingston KVR667D2N5/1G

Video Card: EVGA 8800 GTS SC 320MB/648/1566/900

Harddisk: 320 Sata

CD/DVD Drive: LG 18X Multi DRIVE

CRT/LCD Model: 19 ACER Wide Screen

Case: 17 Ince ATX

Sound Card: Onboard

PSU: 600W Cooler Master

Software: Win XP 32 BIT/169.31
    LYNCHIN says thanks.
  6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    That's an old bios for the P5B...I dunno about the vanillas, since I have the DLX, but I'm running 1216 or something (I have to update my sig and sys specs). But I know newer bioses fixed some OC issues, and temp reading issues, as-well-as compatabilities with newer procs too! :D
    LYNCHIN says thanks.
  7. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    Yeah its kind of old

0806 2006/11/09

latest is 1604 2007/07/13
  8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Lynchin, if you have a USB jump drive, you can flash your bios from it! Reboot your PC and go into Bios with the USB plugged in before you restart, with the bios file on it and flash it. You can even make a backup before you flash it to the new one!

I dunno who told you 0806 was the last stable bios, and maybe we can rectify what P5B version you have, but I'm running 1604, and hitting 500FSB with my P5B Deluxe. Check my sys specs, :D.
    LYNCHIN says thanks.
  9. LYNCHIN New Member

Thanks Received:
    oops!

Did not see the little "Show system specs" LOL
    Well there they are.
  10. LYNCHIN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Kursah

Nice article on Overclocking. :respect: I just finished it, making sure I didn't miss any of "your" important issues. I must say that is a nice pile of articles and programs you have amassed. Lots of goodies. I should be happy with my 2.8Ghz overclock, but like many, why not push it more to see how far you can go. Well I am not trying to break any records or anything. My main reason to get above 2.8Ghz is very simple really. I am trying to get my Rig sorted out for when Crysis and COD4 hits. I have played the Beta for Crysis, and basing anything of a beta is silly I know. But since I am stuck with 320Mb of VRam I am going to need to push my CPU to get better Frames per sec with the eye candy turned on. I won't be running any overclock unless I am doing Gaming. That being said, I am very tempted to Flash my BIOS to 1604, I was looking last night on the ASUS forums and it seems no one is having lots of problems since that version. You mentioned something very important that I need clarification on. You said:

The recommended method is via 3.5" floppy disk or if supported USB Drive upon reboot. Even then you must ensure that the PC's power is not switched during the update (takes a couple of seconds average, might be short, but it's a very important two seconds).

So I am concerned with my Rig doing "cold boots" between Re-starts or Re-booting. As soon as I hit "save settings and restart" In the BIOS for example, My rig shuts down completely, Fans off dead silent for a sec or two. Then Beep, on to booting. Is that pause in power going to damage My attempt to Flash my Bios?!:confused: I have read that "cold booting" is a issue with these boards. Is that correct from your understanding? I just really need to be certain of everything before I try something new like Flashing my BIOS. I hear it over and over that, Only Flash your BIOS if your having hardware issues. Well this is a major issue isn't it? Here is a list of all the Fixes since BIOS version 0806.

Enhance memory compatibility under FSB1333 mode
    Add new CPU uCode to support new processor
    Revise SLP 2.0 rule
    Enable hotplug support under AHCI mode
    Fix displayed CPU frequency incorrectly after downgrade CPU ratio
    Fix system may sometimes hang after load default in setup then exiting right away while having Conroe CPU installed.
    Finetune Q-Fan control algorithm
    Enable EIST under VISTA
    Fix BBS device string not correct under AHCI mode
    Support SLP2.0 string
    Fix HCT unreported I/O and memory issuse
    Support disable USB function item
    Allow disable XD for conroe L
    Add full reset after change DRAM mode to enhance memory compatibility
    Support CONROE E0 CPU(FSB 1333)
    Fix AC Power loss function not correct
    Support x4 DIMM
    Enable support for WiFi-TV card
    Enable PreslerXE 3.73 support
    Enable USB like support for SATA HDD connected to JMICRON controller when JMicron option is set to IDE or AHCI mode
    Drop CPU fan low limit to 600rpm when Conroe CPU is in use.
    Enhance ATA ODD compatibility
    Support Conroe-L CPU
    Fix CPU VCORE too high after overclocking fail
    Fix DRAM frequency incorrectly display problem under auto, standard and AI N.O.S mode
    Reduce system full reset of times
    Patch some VGA card can't found when NB Vcore value has been set too high
    Fix DDR frequency 889 unstable by SPD
    Improve S3 resume time
    Fix FSB not correct displayed in BIOS setup when CPU has been set to non-standard frequency
    Fix chassis fan 2 speed not correct when fan speed too low
    Support DDR2 double side x16 module
    Enable support for CPU ratio adjustment on Kentsfield B0 stepping CPU
    Enable conroe/kentsfield ratio overclocking higher above default value
    Fix CPU Fan profile mode not correct after system shutdown
    Revise temperature reading algorithm
    Update MRC code
    Enhance memory compatibility for DDR533 and DDR667 modules.
    Revise S3 fuction not stable when CPU FSB over 300MHz.
    Add dram frequency help string

That is all the ones that the ASUS moderator posted to me. He also said:

"There is, as somebody once said, absolutely no reason to revise your BIOS ... unless you are having a documented problem for which there is a documented fix."

So after looking at that list what do you think. Is there something in there that might help.
    Keep in mind That I will be installing Vista Home premium 32 Bit as soon as I get Crysis up and running. I want the DX10 support. Can't wait, Looks Freakin Awesome!!:rockout:
    Anyways, I also think the "Enhance memory compatibility under FSB1333 mode" Will help me when My FSB is getting Maxed out. Do you agree? And Since I will be installing Vista soon I might as well get the Vista fixes now with the new BIOS version. I know that I will be experiencing a hole new set of problems with Vista. If it is that bad, the overclocking in Vista that is. I will have no choice to use XP. Like I said. I really want to figure out this overclocking issue before Next month. Do you any Downside to Flashing my BIOS? I mean I know the Risks are there, but it is inevitable, I am going to have to Flash one day. Those Vista issues in that list are going to rear their head too. So should I just Get the Flash over with or is there something I am overlooking when trying to break the 2.8Ghz hump?:banghead:
  11. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
  12. LYNCHIN New Member

Thanks Received:
    progress report!?!

So I did my First Flash without any problems.:rockout: BIOS V. 1604 is installed without a hitch. So I Loaded Default setting in BIOS and began my testing. I Started my Overclocking at 2.6Ghz. V.core was set to 1.25, Ram was at 1.9 Volts on Auto timings 5,6,6,15. Speed Fan reported Idle Temps at Cpu 45C, Core 1 and 2, 33C,34C. I Ran Orthos for a quick run of the first batch of tests, "small FFTSs-stress CPU"(16 Mins). Passed no issues. Temps were still Fine at Load.
    Speed Fan reported 55C on the CPU, Core#0 45C, Core #1 45C.
    Next I set the CPU to 338*8=2.704 Ghz. I left the Cpu V.core And Ram on the same same settings. At Idle temps were the same as before at 2.6Ghz. I Ran the Same Quick Orthos Test for the Same amount of time(16 Mins),
    Temps were the same as the temps at 2.704Ghz.

I then Set the Cpu to 350*8=2.8Ghz. V.Core and Ram settings were the Same as before. At Idle, Speed Fan reported the Temps,Cpu at 46C, Core 1 and 2, 36C, 36C
    I then Ran the Same Orthos test "small FFTS-stress CPU"(16 Mins) for the first Batch.
    At load Speed Fan reported 56C on the CPU, Core#1 and #2
    46C, 46C. Every thing Stayed the Same as before. No issues Yet.
    Now for My Next Speed I Went at 360*8=2.88Ghz. I left All the settings the Same as before. No Post.
    I then Tried to Raise the V.core to 1.2625, 1.275, 1.35, 1.40. I also Jacked up the Ram volts to 2.1 Volts. No luck what so ever. So with the V.core at 1.4 and the Ram at 2.1 volts, I tried 404*8, No post. 370*8, No Post. 380*8, No Post. 390*8, No Post. I gave up after that.:banghead:

So I went Back to 2.8 Ghz To see if I could lower the V.Core and keep it Stable. I Set the V.core to 1.235, one notch less then before to see if it could run 2.8 Ghz at less volts. Ram at 1.9 volts on Auto Timings 5,6,6,18. And Ran Prime 95.
    I got an error after one minute.
    So I set the V.core back to 1.25. Ran Prime95 on the "Max heat, Power consumption and some Ram". This time it Ran for the 1024K self test(16 Min torture Test) with no problems. Speed Fan reported 56C on the CPU, Core #1 and #2 were 46C, 46C. Same as my previous 2.8Ghz test.
    I finished testing for now so I could get my results off to You.
    So with new BIOS in, Everything stayed the Same. I could not get it to post past my previous 2.8Ghz. With the V.Core at 1.40 and the Ram at 2.1Volts on auto timings it still wouldn't budge. What the heck is going on!!??

I was reading in a forum about people raising the volts on the "FSB termination Voltage". I have "Auto and then two other settings in that Tab. Can't remember what they are. Do you have any idea what that "FSB Termination Voltage" Does?? People have said that they have used it to help out their Overclocks. I was looking And I can't find out what it really does. Sure people speculate that it is my North Bridge volts, But I don't think they are certain.
    I only have one other suggestion and need to know what you think about it, And how to do it. What if I set my Mult to 7, and tried to post 404*7 which would still be 2.8Ghz. But maybe I would be out of the "FSB hole" That I was talking about. Think that would work? Or is there anything else to try now that I Flashed the BIOS and nothing else has changed?? Thanx. All that worrying about flashing the BIOS and it was a piece of cake looking back.:rolleyes:
  13. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    You might need to up your NB one cuz you have the volts settings for it right ? so try 1.45v NB
    LYNCHIN says thanks.
  14. LYNCHIN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can't do that!

I do not have North Bridge volts. Unless "FSB Termination Voltage" is it. Under that (Heading)I have Auto and two voltage settings. But I need to know for sure if those are the NB volts before I start messing with them. This is really starting to make me mad.:wtf: How is it that I am stuck at 2.8Ghz no matter what I try?? Need more advice on this folks.
  15. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    well write down the options where you change the speed for the cpu all of them and what there set on so I know what you have ;)
  16. ace80

ace80

Thanks Received:
    Maybe take a pic of the bios screen if you have a camera.
    With my e6420 auto settings would get to 400fsb no sweat, anything over and as dom said i had to make a small NB voltage increase.
    LYNCHIN says thanks.
  17. LYNCHIN New Member

Thanks Received:
    have a look at these?

Here is a thread about ASUS P5B. The screen shots of this persons board look identical as mine. So as you can see, there is no North Bridge voltage that I can see. Mybee you see something that I don't. Have a look. These guys are using a modifies BIOS later on in the thread. But the first 1-3 pages have all the same options as me. Take a look. Link:
    http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41
  18. ace80

ace80

Thanks Received:
    Make sure AI Tuning is set to manual. This opens up all your settings.
    I see on the 4th screen shot down they have CPU Vcore, FSB Term Volt, NB Volts, SB volts and ICH.
    NB is the North Bridge, if you have this what other options do you have apart from auto next to it?
    LYNCHIN says thanks.
  19. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Was just going to post what he said, so I thought I'd give you these, too:

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=30
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112648&highlight=p5b

The guy who goes by "Tony" in those threads is none other than the "BigTo" guy from OCZ. He knows his shiznit.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. LYNCHIN New Member

Thanks Received:
  21. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Only thing I can thing of off-hand is researching a voltage mod for the chipset. BTW, page 23 of the link you just gave shows a vdimm pencil mod...
    LYNCHIN says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU