1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[US] PNY Optima 2.5" 240/480GB SSD deals

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by thebluebumblebee, Jul 7, 2014.

1. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Yes, these are the controversial SSD's that may not perform like the samples that PNY sent to reviewers, but they do meet the specifications listed by PNY. Some are calling for a boycott of these and the Kingston V300 series (the 120GB is $55). I see it as a case of "bad form" for PNY and Kingston to send out samples that represented the best that these economy SSD's had to offer and did not mention that what the buyer gets will be from a random selection that meets the specs.

Link

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Got mine about a month and a half ago from Tigerdirect based on the TweakTown review. Its the 240GB version and has the Silicon Motion 2246EN controller mentioned in the review. Works just fine - can't tell the difference between it and my Crucial, Seagate or ADATA SSDs (I'm not a benchmark junkie).

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Picked up 2!

I don't really think it is bad form from PNY. The controller difference is not going to make any noticeable difference in real world use.

thebluebumblebee says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    I'm just trying to warm people that the SSD that you get may not match the components of the reviewes. This explains it better than I can.
    If the manufacturer knows that this product line may consist of different components, and then sends the best example from that spectrum and does not mention that there may be differences, then that is "bad form" IMHO. What is interesting, is that people are taking the results of the tests as the "official" specifications and ignored that the reviewers mentioned that the SSD's out performed the listed specs.
    Couldn't agree more.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Sure, but that is assuming PNY knew they were going to use the other controller from the beginning. It is entirely likely that the first batch used one controller, and the second batch used a different controller. And all the review samples were from the first batch, and PNY likely didn't know they were going to switch controllers for the second batch when they sent them out. This is actually really common.

Also, people are complaining about the change in controller, but strangely the controller they "switched" to is the same controller in their XLS8 drives which perform a lot better than the Optima drive. So I think they should really be looking at the flash being changed being the problem, not the controller...

6. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Just thought I'd keep using this thread.
    240GB for $80 after $20 MIR
    480GB for $160 after promo code and MIR (ends today)

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    These are insane prices! Even without the MIR those are good prices for SSDs.