1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Poge and InfraRed's modding service

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by infrared, Aug 2, 2006.

1. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everybody,

Poge and I are going to start a hardware modding service.

We're going to start off free as an introductory offer for a limited time only. You only pay for shipping to and from us. This will be ideal for those too afraid to touch their beloved hardware with a soldiering iron themselves. We will personally guarantee the hardware won't be damaged, and it will be covered in the case of DOA by the mail service. However it is NOT our responsibility what you do with the card after you recieve it.

After the introductory offer, we will be charging for the variable resistors, heatshrink, soldier etc used + labour charge,

We can mod Graphics cards and Motherboards, CPU's etc. Basically anything you want modifying.

Graphics cards

ATI or nVidia.

ATI : 9500 and newer.
    nVidia: GeForce 4 and newer.

Mods include vgpu/vdd/vddq/vdroop

VGPU via either VR mod or VID mod.

Motherboards

voltmods include vcpu/vdroop/northbridge/southbridge.
    *note that not all motherboards can be fully modded.

Also using thermal epoxy to attach heatsinks to any Mosfets.

CPU's

For the CPU's, we can do the Intel skt 775/478 processors. This involves grounding a contact to change the default fsb. For example a 533mhz processor could be modded to run at *667mhz/800mhz/1066mhz. *The 667mhz mod might not work on all chipsets.

Also:

-L2 cache unlocking on Thorton core Semprons (256 to 512)
    -Mod Thorton core Semprons to full blown Athlon XP's
    -Multiplier unlocking on all Socket A processors
    -Mod Athlon XP's to Mobile Athlon XP's and/or Athlon MP's
    -Hard VMods on all 754 processors

NEW: De-IHSing AMD's, and Intel P4/celeron skt 478's

Other Mods

We can also supply mods such as

-IHS removal
    -heatsink lapping
    -IHS lapping.

PM for Further Details, Post for questions

Please note that this ISN'T affiliated with TPU in any way

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  2. FLY3R New Member

Thanks Received:
    w00t nice idea guys, hope it works out.

3. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    This is actually a really good idea. I'm surprised this service isn't already around yet :)

4. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey infared the link in ur sig is bad. it redirects to a page abotu http protocols. ya might wanna fix it.

5. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    IIRC? One of you 2 has this motto:

"PROFIT!"

:)

* I think you guys can do it, you're ALL extremely "hardware-saavy" here, imo!

(& this is WHY I chose this forum over many others... oh, some were "close" but had some real (how do I put this?) "less than cool" members OR mods on them, imo @ least - not the case here imo so far @ least!)

APK

P.S.=> Put the word out ALL OVER the place @ other sister/allied boards you may have... P.R. - it's everything (almost, quality work is job #1 though)... Good luck! apk

6. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a ton Alec! I really appreciate it! :)

Alec... want us to vmod your 7900? :)

Edit: Holy crap... in your sytem specs it says your 7900 is phase change cooled! Is that true?! :S

7. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you can get my x800gto2 to run like yours infrared, i'm all over that!

i believe i even have the same cooler

a buddy and i have a race to see who can get over 7000 in 3d05 first, w/o cpu or gpu changes (he has an x850xtpe agp in w/3500+ 754, so no dualchannel :) ) maybe this is the ticket! i just wish it wasn't over seas..

8. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys merit the praise - very cool forums, VERY cool members + mods, & hell of a hardware know-how knowledgebase present by all means!

(Credit goes in my book, where it's due & all that!)

Perhaps one day, I will... right now? I will work w/ it, as is... I wasn't aware of it being a possible actually for THIS card!

BUT, when I can't get anymore out of it? APK will come a callin'... your way!

It is, has a set of "heatpipes" (4) on it in low-pressure sealed system environs...

Changing state (phase) from liquid to gas upon "event horizon" cpu contact area reactions, etc.!

Hell of a card, oc'd already!

However, it can go FAR over that even via coolbits.reg!

(It IS the best part of my system imo, & next will be the DDRDrive x1 PCI-Express Solid-State DDR memory based ramdisk, to replace the older CENATEK "rocketdrive" PCI 2.2 bus/PC-133 SDRAM using one I have now & lastly? Maybe an Opteron 165, amazing s939 cpu's imo!)

APK

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  9. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh... well generally when people hear the term "phase change cooled", they think of Chilly1, Vapochills, etc. :)

10. g12rxz New Member

Thanks Received:
    When my HIS X1800GTO comes could you guys tweak a bios for me so its unlocked and the voltages and clocks are upped by default?

11. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep! :D

12. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably true, but technically?

I am 100% correct...

(Those "generally speaking people" are too, but not totally as far as technicalities are concerned & to as high an extent)

I say that simply because heatpipe designed cooling IS "phase-change" cooling to the max afaik & am concerned!

(After all - matter in the form of liquid in low-pressure IS indeed, changing its "state" (phase) from liquid to gas upon heat contact @ the CPU event-horizon contact point/interface)!

:)

* To each his own on that note/account though... I know where you are coming from!

APK

P.S.=> Still, if I am in error here? Set me "straight" & all that... technicalities & word play, that's all this is imo @ least! apk

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  13. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    I could get it voltmoded no probs, would probably be able to match my card with a little more voltage :)

Yeah, the overseas stuff is annoying though. If you can get a small cardboard box, not much bigger than the card, and pack it with bublewrap it will be fine, i think Warup spend $10 on shipping when he sent me his x850Crossfire Edition.

EDIT:

Thanks kenny :)

14. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I too feel like the voltage kick would do it, because it tops out at 581/629 until artifacts, but at 63 tops (usually 58-60), whereas with my stock cooler it was at 73 for that, so i think it's the volts causing the artifacts. is that the way it works? i've never voltmodded a card, so i don't know, but that's the gist i get

15. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm stationed in the US, you could send it to me if you wish, I am also good with a soldering iron, I'm sure I could handle it.

16. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, that's pretty much it. Increasing the voltage is easy, but the temperature needs to be as low as possible. I might be able to lap the cooler and remount it, then it'd give a little bit more room to play with voltage. :)

Poge can do it for you, but it's your personal preferance really ;)

17. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can my X800XL get anything out of this? Or should I buy a new card?

18. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya, i know i asked you earlier about what you meant by a modified ati silencer, and i def think that either of you guys would be better than me at that. I'm still learning from experience how much compound to put on.

the only thing i worry about is not being able to take the volts down right now because it's so hot everywhere. my card idles at 44, which is like 4-5 degrees hotter than earlier this summer. and I don't think i'd have to worry about next summer cuz i plan on having dx10 by then.

i'm sorry, i haven't made a decision yet.... i've been checking out the voltmodding article, and although i have a little bit of experience soldering and with bread boards (not quite pcbs....) i would rather let someone else do it who has done this exact thing before.

plus i dont' have a multimeter (left mine at home doh!)

I should have wrestled out the answer by next week (i need to go to the post office anyways to ship out my pc i'm selling after bidding), plus i'll be away from my pc for two weeks, so the downtime wouldn't bother

i'm prolly going to do it, now that i think about it, because timing wise this is perfect. when i get back, it'll be tons cooler too!

haha, i just realized i'll prolly be running a geforce mx 440 pci if i have to use this comp when my gpu is visiting far off locales!

i think this is a great service, and i am more than willing (read:confident in both of your abilities) to be the first (I am the first, right? since the inception of this, i know you modded an x850cf for someone, but that was before?) idk.

19. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    The core probably won't benefit much. My old x800xl got nothing more out of the core with the vcore mod, however the memory went a lot further. 610mhz if i remember correctly :)

20. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will it be worth it? And about how much points will I gain?

21. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    I modified my x850CF without problems, I haven't got a digital camera on me atm, i would have taken some pictures.

You'll definatly need a voltmeter to adjust the voltages, you can probably pick up a cheap one from wallmart or something. The voltages are easy to adjust, simply get a flathead screwdriver, and rotate the screw clockwise to increase voltage and anticlockwise to decrease voltage. You need to keep the voltage probe on the measureing point the whole time to make sure you don't go too far ;)

22. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    ?

23. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    erm, i think i got a fairly substantial increase with my card, the fact it has an R430 core would limit the performance gained. Send it over if you like, then at least you can get an idea of the quality of the mods. Free atm, just shipping :laugh: ;)

24. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    variable resistor would be dope

but then i'd for sure need a multimeter... hrmmm

btw, how do i check the voltage? i've looked in atitool, but i don't see it. maybe i'm just blind

25. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    These are the mods i did to my x800gto2 and x850CF. Since then i've got hold of plenty of heatshrink to insulate the connections on the VR's. You can see that I put a measuring point on the top of each VR to make it easy to measure the voltage. Also, i don't bother with the fan anymore... it just looks ugly :p

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=98835&postcount=174

To check the voltage, you connect the negative probe to ground (the case) and hold the positive probe on the measuring point on top of the VR's ;)