1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Police raid targets 9-year-old pirate

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by micropage7, Nov 23, 2012.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    Police raid targets 9-year-old pirate, Winnie the Pooh laptop seized:laugh:

The fight against online piracy reached new levels of absurdity after the Copyright Information And Anti-Piracy Centre (CIAPC) in Finland cracked down on a 9-year-old suspected pirate and had the police seize her Winnie the Pooh laptop. Her crime was to download a song from Finnish pop star Chisu, and her father’s to refuse signing a non-disclosure agreement and pay €600 to settle the charges without prosecution.

TorrentFreak reports that the CIAPC had first contacted the Internet account holder during the spring, informing him that his account had been traced back to an incidence of online file-sharing, and asking for compensation in order to let the case go.

He decided to ignore the letter and this week things escalated as promised, with the police arriving at his doorstep and raiding his house looking for evidence -- his daughter’s notebook.

According to the father’s account, the girl tried to download a number of songs, and a Google search led her to The Pirate Bay. Supposedly the resulting downloads didn’t work so the following day they went to a store to buy music -- whether or not this last bit is true is beyond the point, however. In parting, the police had some advice for the father: “It would have been easier for all concerned if you had paid the compensation.”

“I got the feeling that there had been people from the MAFIA demanding money at the door,” the girl’s father recounted. "We have not done anything wrong. If adults do not always know how to use a computer and the web, how can you assume that children or the elderly knows what they are doing at any given time online? […] It is sad to see how even the big artists have no idea what CIAPC is doing in their name.”

Indeed upon hearing about the situation Chisu apologized to the 9-year-old and pointed to a link on Spotify where her music can be played for free. Electronic Frontier Finland also took note of the case and said it is an indication of just how far copyright enforcement has progressed in Finland.

http://www.techspot.com/news/50888-police-raid-targets-9-year-old-pirate-winnie-the-pooh-laptop-seized.html
  2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    OMFG, they took away a nine year olds notebook because of this? WTF? That nine year old doesn't know it's wrong to DL music without paying for it!!!!! Give me a F-CKING BREAK.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Aww, I normally like Finland. :(
  4. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    maybe they should spend there time and money on catching real criminals instead of this BS :shadedshu
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I think the dad likes Chisu
  6. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Hell, I never heard of Chisu before this. I'm a 41 year old man that normally listens to country music with some rock from time to time, but I could listen to Chisu. I do kinda like her music from what I've heard so far this morning(it'd be better if it was in english so I could understand what she's saying). And I'm probably older than the 9 year old's dad.
    Crunching for Team TPU