1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

(poll)Should I upgrade what I have or just save money for another computer?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by -1nf1n1ty-, Jul 13, 2009.

?

Save or upgrade what I have?

1. Better off saving since there going to be newer and better parts.

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. Upgrade what you have, you don't need the next best thing.

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Last I heard , windows 7 was months away (that`s if you`re going to BUY it !!) . The rtm release is for business I think.

2. i3uu New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say just get a new GFX card and then wait for i7 to drop in price.

If you're going to upgrade ram and all that, then you might as well just upgrade. Either strip your current rig of stuff you can transfer and then buy the rest, or sell your current rig as is for some money so you can lower the price of the new build.

3. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    well the votes always seem to be neck in neck. so who knows what Im going to do, I do have a birthday coming up in 2 months and I'm willing to wait to just get a better computer overall I'm not sure if I want to build it or just buy it I don't mind building but when I was helping my friend build his i7 rig and I REALLY REALLY hated that board and he took it in to Fry's and they told him it wasnt hooked up correctly and my jaw just dropped...after so many computers I built it was'nt connected correctly. But who knows what I'll do

4. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Isn't Win7 only DX9? I might be mistaken... I've been out of the 7 loop for quite some time.

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    win 7 is DX11

a lot of people are making strange arguments about win 7 lately... the RC1 wont expire for a long time, so why not download that and run it for free, and buy 7 when it comes out? (or preorder it for less)

OzzmanFloyd120 says thanks.
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Save your money your system is not bad. Give it another year at least then look whats new.

A new system will not be all that much better for what the cost is going to be although i'd be temped to upgrade the v card :)..

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    oh yeah, the vote :D just voted to save.

Some upgrades will be worth it ( DX11 ATI card or two for crossfire) but other than that, maybe peripherals? a new screen/mouse/keyboard can make all the difference.

8. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    your system is just great atm! save some money and upgrade when chistmas' ;) offers come out... lol

my vote is save!

9. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info.
    But since Win7 will support DX10 and DX11 I stick with my previous statement, only instead of Win Vista I would go with Win 7.

10. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 definitely, if i wasn't lazy i'd re-format my HDD with it but i don't feel like downloading or backing up all my music/movies/games lol. How's your overclocking going with your q6600?

for me to reach 3.2ghz i had to use these settings
    CPU Core :1.39v(vdrop, can't remember bios setting)
    CPU FSB :1.5v(was unsure of setting it this high, getting P45 soon anyways)
    nForce SPP:1.4v

that's alot higher than most settings i've seen people use to get 3.2ghz, but it's what it took to get it OCCT stable i blame my 680i LT(not quad friendly), though it isn't linpack but i've always gone by OCCT and if it was stable for OCCT's test then my pc never crashed.

EDIT:I found a guide just browsing the web if you want to check it out: q6600 oc'ing

11. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    i guess saving for a whole new computer wins my current pc isnt that old since i bought it in november :3 oh well ill save thanks for the help everyone so far i got 100$ lol trying to save 2 thousand or so should be easy if I will be buying a new computer in like november/ december

12. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    bah its not going so well at times I got it stable at 3.6 then it blue screens and now I can't even get it up to 3.2 only like 3.0, I think my ram might be holding it back

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the magic awesome mobo you have, will run 400 FSB with all settings on stock. If you have 800MHz ram, set it to a 1:1 divider and away she goes - only CPU voltage will affect your stability (i'd set 400x6 and work my way up the multis)