1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

POLL: Would Apple buying AMD be...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cadaveca, Apr 20, 2010.

?

Apple buying AMD would be...

Poll closed May 20, 2010.
  1. Good!

9.3%
  2. BAD, BAD, BAD!!!

42.9%
  3. Not going to happen.

47.9%
  1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    So, today's rumours suggest Apple could possibly buy AMD. They've got the cash, after all, and from my personal perspective, would do the entire industry a whole lot of good...both for product development, and the consumer.

So, what do you think?
  2. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I guess if they do we can kiss our Black Editions goodbye. Source of these rumors?
  3. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    omg, don't even think of such things. And hell no i don't think it'll happen either but the BAD BAD BAD!! expressed my opinion better lol. yea it won't happen, no way in hell, just wouldn't make sense. Would be horrible to imo.
  4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    catastrophic.
  5. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    There is really no way this will happen. AMD just purchased ATI. AS you have seen they have done some great things with the 4xxx and 5xxx graphic cards. Phenoms newest line 6 core is pretty awesome, especially the price point. Basically I feel, as a stock holder in AMD, that we haven't even seen a true profit yet from the ATI acquisition. I think most shareholders feel this way. So unless apple can come in and offer me 20% more for my stock it's not going to happen. I firmly believe AMD will continue to climb in the market and I may get more than 20% return on my investment.

It's not a matter if Apple can, it is a matter if the shareholders are willing to sell when there is so much potential.

I got in at $2.35 currently its at $9.77...and I'm riding it all the way to $18.00 for sure.
    robn and SystemViper say thanks.
  6. scope54

scope54

Thanks Received:
    oh shit, i misinterpreted what the title said, i think apple buying AMD hardware would be good, Apple buying AMD the company would be bad, very bad.
  7. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    To me, I think it will be a bad thing to do.. They'll make it their own style & we will probably see a "locked" version stuff from now on..

But, like ZZZ said... Their in a area of great effect.. There shouldn't be any reason why to even think about going out and selling.. Not with how AMD is doing their stuff now.
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Link please

[​IMG]
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
  10. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Oh it's a real rumor. Not a troll. Not the first I have heard of it either.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/04/apple_to_buy_amd.html

I still say there is no way this is going to happen unless Apple is willing to cough up some serious cash for the share holders, there is no way I would vote in favor of this acquisition.
  11. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    but wernt they normally just going to use amd cpu's for upcoming apple computers?
  12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    MacNewsWorld.

What if nothing changed @ AMD, and only the ownership? AMD shareholders would get a piece of Apple, AMD would have access to Apple's resources, and Apple would have a peice of the pc marketshare, further improving products...

Remember, AMD, as it stands now, is an Intellectual Property Holding/Development Company. They merely design things, and outsource production to other companies...The sale could pay off debt, and then AMD could be spun off of Apple in the future, debt-free.

:D
  13. Phxprovost

Thanks Received:
    would this not give intel complete control of the retail cpu market? could they legaly even buy amd?
  14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    How so? Why would AMD stop producing the pc market? THAT would be foolish...

As to legality of the purchase, I tihnk that now that the GF-AMD split is done, it might be VERY possible.
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I would love to see Apple use AMD processors, not buy the company...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Phxprovost

Thanks Received:
    all the other semi companys that apple has aquired only produce parts for apple products....why would this be any differnt. Its not like amd has super profit potential anyway, it would make perfect sense to aquire them and produce parts inhouse
  17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Because it's good business. Apple market share in the computing side would increase with a signature. Thier control of the market, as well. They wouldn't be producing ANYTHING...they'd outsource the cpu/gpu production to GF...

FYI, execs live deal-to-deal. What deal do they got going @ Apple...production...or more? You'd think that simple production wouldn't have so much face time between the two...

I guess most don't see how clsoe to Apple AMD is, currently, from a business perspective...there are many correlations in teh way things are done at both places, right now. AMD is not the AMD of 6 months ago, never mind 5 years ago, pre-aquisition...
  18. Phxprovost

Thanks Received:
    guess i must be missing something cause last time i checked the two comps could not be any more different
  19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    What do both companies do?

They both meet the needs of thier small share of the market.

They both out-source production.

They both have execs hungry for a bonus.

They both have complete tight-lipped development controls...

They both have a very odd microcosm of beleifs and ideals, that make for thier success.
  20. Phxprovost

Thanks Received:
    way to describe about 98% of the companys in the world :rolleyes:
  21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Explain how they are different, then.

I could care less about the products. This is business...why did AMD buy ATI? Sure, it proved good over time, but everyone was saying the same things about THAT merger, when I was saying it was real...

Remember, this is NOT my own rumour...I'm merely interested in how it could pan out, and what you guys think, as I value opinions here. Don't take this into a pissing match.
  22. Phxprovost

Thanks Received:
    because at the time they could? and it payed off for them cause it seems to be the only division they have that actually pulls a profit?
  23. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    So how is this different? I mean, sure Apple is profitable...and AMD wasn't...but I 'll tell ya what..ATI wasn't exactly looking so good back then either...2900XT, anyone?:laugh:

Of course, one could suggest that the 2900XT was a red herring to lower ATI's worth for the AMD purchase....
  24. Phxprovost

Thanks Received:
    :wtf: i fail to see where your going, i would like to know what possible good could come out of this with the way apple does business, please explain
  25. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    AMD purchased ATI pretty much for the sole purpose of integrating GPU's on the same die as the CPU. If they didn't do that the technology to bridge the 2 into 1 piece of silicon could have been used by others that purchased ATI tech.

The other reason was if they didn't purchase ATI another CPU manufacturer would have.
    95Viper says thanks.