1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

POLL: Would Apple buying AMD be...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cadaveca, Apr 20, 2010.

?

Apple buying AMD would be...

Poll closed May 20, 2010.
  1. Good!

9.3%
  2. BAD, BAD, BAD!!!

42.9%
  3. Not going to happen.

47.9%
  1. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I don't think apple buying AMD/ATI would be a bad thing, I doubt that would rid of our precious Black Edition chips, if anything they would pour more money into R&D to catch up and try to pass Intel in this endless game of cat and mouse.

Now Apple switching to AMD chips would just be great in general, it would give them a substantially larger customer base.

2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    DING DING DING!!

:laugh:

So lets look forward...

What is happening? Where is Llano going? MacBooks, maybe?

So why purchase the products...when they could own them?

Intel isn't exactly looking good when it comes to the cpu/gpu all-in-one intergration, right now. AMD is the SOLE contender for high performance in this market.

Llano in MacBooks, MacPros sporting Bulldozer, and ATI vgas...

4. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    k so if HP bought Intel...that would be grand too right? Or maybe if Microsoft bought Intel...that would be even better. Im sorry but i fail to see how a computer manufacturer buying a semiconductor company is a good thing....let alone legal. If Apple does this they will have complete control over every single thing they emcompass, im extremely surprised the EU is not flipping shit over this "rumor"

5. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    haha forsure. I'm starting to smell something very similar to cow manure, called BULLSHIT XD lol

6. Bot

Bot

Thanks Received:
    BAD, BAD, BAD!!! and Not going to happen.

apple considers using AMD processors in there products doesn't they will go out and buy them.

one mayor reason i don't think that is going to happen is that intel would fight tooth and nail to retract their x86 lic or up the price to enormous heights.

7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I believe you might have hit the nail on the head.

Apple and AMD have been in high level talks for just that purpose.
    Story here: Rumor: Apple testing AMD chips for future Macs. Would you buy without Intel inside?

IMO, the rumors started with these meetings. Which, would make sense; it would give the option to the consumer, to get a good processor, supporting chipsets, and access to a gpu technology infrastructure; all with the support the comes with it. Possibly make Intel and others take a second look and create a good competitive environment for Apple to reduce their costs. I cannot see Apple wanting to take on the responsibility that would come of a purchase of AMD.

:)

8. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    id hate to see apple buy amd why? cause apple sells overpriced junk... just what i want to see even HIGHER prices on AMD / ATi hardware cause it has an apple sticker on it sorry fuck that

9. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    Love your perspective, SO TRUE, it not about the industry it's all about what the shareholders would need to do it.... :pimp:

But i think it would be a monster move for Apple for the long term.... :twitch:

ZenZimZaliben says thanks.
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Hp is a loser. you'll hear more aobut them in teh news in the coming weeks...just you wait.

HP Execs aren't exactly the best bunch. I worked there, so I know. Such a thing would never be possible for them. That's like nV buying Intel...

Three little letters for this one..IBM.

I hear ya on this one...I mean, I'd hate to Apple's claws to fully close on AMD, and lock things up, but heck...

11. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. There is nothing to flip out over. This is all just speculation and rumors. If this comes to fruition I am sure there will be major concerns by many parties.

I just do not see Apple buying up all of AMD's debt. You know they bought ATI for 5.4 Billion!! They sure as heck haven't made all of that back, in fact they have claimed rather large losses the past 6 quarters, however they are getting smaller and smaller.

If anything Apple will start using AMD for a cheaper chip and still sell at the same price point they were with Intel. Or this entire thing could be a tactic by apple to keep intel prices in check.

12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Most likely.

But look at how passionate people are about this...I love it!

Apple could chagne thier image, doing this, if done right...or they'd destroy AMD.

Personally, AMD execs are currently too young to sell out just yet...maybe in 15 years...the guard was just changed, after all.

13. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Apple is a horder (e.g. Mac OS X only on Apple hardware, hardware built specifically for Mac OS X, etc.). If they were to buy out, most likely AMD products would only appear in Apple products--no longer as a stand alone product to be used by us or Windows OEMs. That would be very bad for the industry unless the court approving the buyout forbid Apple from doing that (due to the AMD and Intel situtation).

Currently, Apple has no influence over AMD. The only products of theirs they use are a few graphics cards--not even enough volume to make AMD care.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I HIGHLY doubt in the case of a buyout they would do something so foolish.

Apple is a horder without a doubt you are right, but they don't run their business blindly.
    AMD/ATI has a HUGE fan base of enthusiasts, more so probably then an OEM base, at least in profit margin pieces, if Apple closed them out to the rest, they would destroy both companies, Steve Job's isn't stupid, I mean honestly the guy is the CEO of 2 corporations!

15. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Apple doing something Foolish..IPad LOL oh wait that's the customers doing something Foolish..This will not happen

16. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    This will NEVER happen

17. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    oh hell nooo!!! this shit will never happen, it better not, Apple buying AMD out, screw that, Apple buying AMD hardware and claiming it as their own and charging an arm & a leg for it, I see that happening:laugh:

18. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    That's like dell buying intel.

19. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If anyone would buy AMD, it would probably be IBM. An x86 architecture would be very valuable to them. They have virtually no presence in the consumer market and an AMD buyout would correct that. IBM vs Intel is fair game.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I misinterpreted the title, I thought that you meant Apple buying AMD/ATI chips for their computers. If you mean Apple actually buying the company, that would be horrible, Apple would probably do something to disable core unlocking, remove all BE CPUs, and generally make overclocking a nightmare

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Hellz No

It would mean the complete death of the CPU and GPU markets...

22. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    For me this would be awful as I'm 50/50 sure that Apple would be retarded (as usual) and decide to make AMD and ATi the Apple way so that would mean the end of good days of ATi and AMD.
    But then again, I haven't got a clue about what I'm talking bout half the time so yeah..

I didn't realise that IBM still existed, wow, learn something new every day.

23. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    BAD BAD BAD... Apple is the DEVIL!

24. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    The rumor that I heard was that Apple was thinking of "using" more AMD based products in their upcoming lines. Not an outright purchase of AMD the company. Apple and AMD have been looking at this for a few years now. AMD products are "cheaper" and will help hold down the price of upcoming products. Ive got a buddy from the Marine Corps that works for Apple. He yells at me every time we talk, because I am always sure to tell him how much I hate his company, and that his boss is the Devil. :)

25. Chad Boga

Chad Boga New Member

Thanks Received:
    IBM already has an x86 licence.

The reason there is no IBM vs Intel in x86, is because Intel has already kicked their arses and IBM aren't coming back for a second dose.