1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

POLL: Would Apple buying AMD be...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cadaveca, Apr 20, 2010.

?

Apple buying AMD would be...

Poll closed May 20, 2010.
  1. Good!

9.3%
  2. BAD, BAD, BAD!!!

42.9%
  3. Not going to happen.

47.9%
  1. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    Apple buying AMD jeje, i might become an Intel and Nvidia fanboy, who knows:rolleyes:

2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Ah, Chad, you get it!

:laugh:

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    They're huge, just not in the consumer computing market. They sell super computers, processors to be used in consumer electronics (like cash registers), they operate clouds, and design specialized software (e.g. World Community Grid).

The license states they can't sell an IBM x86 processor outside of an IBM computer. Note that IBM hasn't made an x86 processor since the 1980s. AMD, Via, and Cyrix (now National Semiconductor) don't have that limitation.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:

lol, I got in at $1.82/unit. I bought 1,100 Units. :) (or shares if you prefer to call them that)

So answer the question/poll... Nope. Wont' happen.

5. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    AMD has ATI, ATI does games, MAC? No games. So there will be the end of ATI for gaming, apple should dissapear

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    STEAM, and it's full library, is coming to a MAC near you soon. And because of Apple's closed-platform business practices, they might have a leg up on getting developers, too...

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    $8000 profit, nice! :rockout:

Only the Valve, Steam-native applications (e.g. Half-Life) are being ported and, of course, Steam itself. It is not very likely any other publishers are going to jump on that bandwagon especially seeing how Mac OS X market share is no longer growing. The market is still too small.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of apple, anyone know if there's some sort of court case tracking site to get regular updates on the htc suit? I'm curious to see if the judge will risk appeals and invalidate a few of apple's patents, like that undervolting one.

9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD+Apple? No chance, people who back AMD are sensible people, people who back Apple are fanatics. I can't see how AMD is going to be sold to Apple unless Apple offers an obscene amount.

Just checked, Apple is worth about $50 billion compared to AMD's $10 billion. Apple can buy AMD by force, and that's got me worried.

10. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Where do these rumors come from? Even for rumors, this is bullshit.

11. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    It would make AMD/ATi products more expensive. It would take away the reason people buy AMD CPUs which is price/performance. If anybody says its a morality issue that they buy AMD they are ignorant. AMD is no charity, it is an important niche in the enthusiast market.

Everything Apple is function follows form. Not a good thing for utilitarian devices if you ask me. CPU production is as utilitarian as it gets.

12. Flanker

Thanks Received:
    i would find that apocalyptic

13. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    I heard that they were going to run the iBoard platform on AMD products. :laugh:

[​IMG]

The iMat is much more ambitious.

[​IMG]

HalfAHertz says thanks.
  14. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Would this deal hurt apple? No because their clients don't care what's in the shiny box as long as it works.

Would it hurt AMD and ATI? Hell yes because the way Apple conducts business would distance the chip maker's current clientele.

I still have faith that AMD can come up with a competing product against Intel, all they need is a bit more time. I'd an Intel only monopoly on the desktop market is my worst nightmare.

Edit: Lol at DaedalusHelios's post

15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    What, Apple control freakery applied to PC technology? No thanks.

16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Sweet lord it would be horrible. Apple would make everything Apple-exclusive and force you to activate your new GPU through iTunes. Or something like that. I dont like apple.:(

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Actually Cyrix is the IBM chip I have one with IBM logo on it.....

I seen this rumor coming when the Apple and AMD article about BUYING CPU,GPUS was on Heaven Hardware 2 days ago.

18. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    I would say they compete fine right now at the value angle. It is not a must to have the fastest chips if they can still compete in the price war. Intel has too much money on the table for development. Intel is like the Yankee's(USA baseball) where they can just buy the best talent to dominate the market. Bill Gates bought tons of Apple stock to try to prop them up at one point. If Apple falls, then Microsoft gets broken up by anti-trust laws. Same with Intel if AMD falls. AMD serves a purpose that Apple would prevent them from fulfilling if you follow me on this.

It would be much better for IBM to buy AMD. Then they would have enough money to compete with Intel head to head and we would see the most competition in the computer industry occur with technology progressing faster than ever before. AMD always just needed more funds to meet its real potential.

With that kind of money they could buy AMD and pay off all of AMDs debt in one stroke. Not even taking on more debt buying them. That is impressive buying into a tech market niche with your spare change. But of course it would be a risky move for such an old tech giant.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  19. sandiegoborn32

sandiegoborn32 New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD belongs to PC users!

IINexusII says thanks.
  20. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    Intel has already stated that AMD's x86 license is non tranferable.

i.e. unless intel magically gets a whim to issue another one, anyone who buys amd will no longer be able to make processors.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    while that may be true we all know that if intell pulled that move they would again get shut down hard for a monopoly of the market. so in theory if AMD was bought out intell still could stop them from making cpus because to do so would again cause a monopoly and thus ruin intell in the process

22. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Nut sure if I understand this 100%, buuut if AMD is sold to Company X, The parent company won't be able to license CPUs under it's own name but would be able to continue licensing them under AMD's name as long as it stays operational even with the imposed limitation, no?

23. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Company X could keep AMD as a subsidiary and still keep on making x86 chips under the AMD name and subsidiary. That is the exploitable loophole. (Link was left for those not familiar with the term as many people here don't speak english as a primary language.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  24. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    I would love to see Apple loose Intel exclusivity. However, letting the consumer have any choice in their buying decision (except for expensive, really expensive, or super expensive) is very un-Apple. Thus, should they add AMD, it'll likely become AMD only at some point. I doubt Intel will let that happen.

From what I understand, the only reason Apple is interested in AMD now is because of Fusion (and maybe Opteron). I highly doubt we will see something like a Phenom II (or even Bulldozer) in an Apple product. Intel's upcoming monolithic CPU + GPU still has a crappy GPU. Further, they aren't exactly too thrilled with nVidia after their GPU issues last year. Thus, a similarly (maybe slightly less) performing CPU combined with a far superior GPU on the same monolithic die sounds very appetizing for any notebook manufacturer (no matter who it is).

As for Apple buying AMD, GTFO! :shadedshu

25. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    IBM made only one Cyrix-based x86 processor and two Intel-based x86 processors. They might be very valuable today or at least in 20-30 years.

It wouldn't be transferred, it would be part of a buyout. IBM buying AMD, AMD would technically still hold the licence but IBM is in control of said license. I'm not sure if the license remains through merger but it for sure does through buyout.

Crunching for Team TPU