1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

POLL: Would Apple buying AMD be...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cadaveca, Apr 20, 2010.

?

Apple buying AMD would be...

Poll closed May 20, 2010.
  1. Good!

9.3%
  2. BAD, BAD, BAD!!!

42.9%
  3. Not going to happen.

47.9%
  1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I doubt the trade commission would approve such a buy out. ESPECIALLY with the current market and Wall Street being the go to "lighting rod" in all debate.

I call bullshit on this rumor.

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If it were real, they would have had to file with the FTC and news organizations catch that/report it. The press (big news corps like MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, ABC, NBC, CBS, BBC, Reuters, Associated Press, etc.) is intimately in love with Apple so they'd never let something like that slip by. In other words, if it were real, Apple has shown no intent to follow through so far.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    They are going to take inexpensive product put it in a shiny case and charge a fortune. No I don`t want Apple to buy AMD.

4. saikamaldoss

saikamaldoss

Thanks Received:
    Apple is just thinking of buying AMD hardware instead of INTEL :)

5. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Exactly! they just want AMD CPU in their Apple stuff instead of Intel , that is all...;)
    It would mean more profit for AMD :)

6. saikamaldoss

saikamaldoss

Thanks Received:
    Yap thats GR8 News for AMD and the reason for that is, Apple is interested in AMD fusion & Bulldozer core which uses multi thread core like ATI GPU (advanced SIMD engine).

Apple can really use that threading power. currently Intel HT can only handle 2 Threads/cr :)

:toast:
    :rockout::respect:

7. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
  8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Heh. Apple is in a buying mood, it seems...

9. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Apple should buy Mrs. Baird...that way a loaf of bread will be made in pretty colors and cost $20 a loaf. :p

Sorry...not trollin', just making a joke.

10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    No worries dude...the whole idea is kinda a farce..I just wanted to see what ya'all think about it.

If apple DOES start using AMD chips, AMD is really gonna benefit by the added sales. I see this as far, far better than an outright buy-out...

I think that should AMD be able to meet Apple's demand well for a gen, they may be apple's exclusive processor in Macs...i think part of the reason they are looking to AMD is AMD's new socket, which should last for a couple of gens, unlike Intel's sockets, that seem platform-centric. I think there's more immediate profit on factory-installed upgrades, rather than selling a whole box...

11. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I think Apple buying AMD equipment would be an awesome deal for AMD...as far as a buyout goes, someone earlier in the thread mentioned IBM...I think that could be win, but I don't think it will happen. I like AMD being the underdog and taking on the corporate giant that is Intel...that is why I am an AMD/ATI fan...trying to bring down the man. :D

12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    That was me that brought up IBM...;)

But they already have an X86 liscence, as Chad pointed out. The only reason for Apple to buy AMD would be to get that liscence, and that may not be possible.

Having a liscence to produce x86 chips is like having a liscence to print money, in the semiconductor arena, IMHO.

ATi used to be canadian, before the merger, hence my fanboyishness. But that has changed...and I've become far more critical of them because of it.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    If Apple buys AMD, we can expact "APPLE Phail X4/X6 White Edition" processors to surface and replace old and boring "AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition" processors.

14. B1u3B33ry

B1u3B33ry New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not a huge fan of Apple. I only like the creative software for it. Apple is not going to I bet. Its too risky. Buying all their company.... Bad for Apple. More business, but not a super good company