1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Port forwarding - am I doing it right?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Black Panther, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to access my CCTV connected here using the DVR software, to check whether I'd be able to connect remotely.

The IP of the DVR is 192.168.0.100 and Media Port is 9000 and Web Port is 8080

I've tried the combination below, and also other combos... but I keep getting a failed login.

I'm suspecting the modem (it's a WiMax one) is blocking the DVR?

Is what I'm doing below making sense?

[​IMG]

2. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    That is how I would've done it. Have you restarted the modem since fowarding the ports?

I know when I forward ports on my router the ports are still blocked until i power cycle the router.

3. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    does it fail instantly? sure the login is correct? (you can connect through lan)

what about the firewall of the router/modem

4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Are you on the same network as the CCTV system? If not you may have to set the CCTV's IP in a DMZ

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Yes

It fails instantly.

I am sure the login is correct, I double checked the DVR settings to make sure I have its correct IP and the correct media port etc... I haven't made a password (yet) so it's not like I'm typing a wrong one.

But... I can't connect through lan either! :confused:
    [​IMG]

I tried media port 80 also for good measure.

Firewall of both modem and router are turned off. I also cross-checked using a new router I had around, just in case.

Tried that after I read your suggestion. Didn't work.

[Edit] yes currently it is in the same network. But I want to access it when I'm not in the same network. Anyway, I put the cctv's IP in a dmz but still no go.

Yes of course, to log in I type my external IP and the media port.
    I had this dvr working for a long time before, just not on this modem.
    I never tried to access it from the browser before, only from the dvr software. (I tried upon reading your suggestion, and unsurprisingly it doesn't work either - accessing through the web is rather more finicky than doing so through the dvr's software...)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Try a different port, like 8081 or 58080. Some ISPs like to block commonly used HTTP ports to prevent hosting on residential connections.

8. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    You mean I have to change the DVR's port settings first? Then input them into the modem's NAT settings?

I never tried that... but I'll be checking it out.

Edit: Should I change the UDP port ie the one I'm using to connect with the DVR software or the TCP 8080 port?

Also, I can't connect through LAN either. Will this solve that?

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    No, you can tell the router to use an internal port of 8080 and an external port of 8081. There is no need to change it internally, unless it doesn't work internally to begin with.

10. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    It isn't. Check post #6 screenshot in this thread... :(

11. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Do you got a static IP on the DVR?

Also some routers don't allow you to connect to a local resource (within the network) using the WAN IP (Network Address Translation Loopback).

12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Where is that screenshot being taken? I'm a little confused now about what you're exactly trying to do. Is there a web interface on a device other than the DVR that connects to the DVR to stream your video or do you connect directly to the DVR?

13. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I'm in the same place as the DVR. But I want to ensure that I can monitor this cctv through the dvr software when I'm a couple hundred miles away.

The only devices I'm using are a desktop pc, the DVR, a router (I've been trying both my usual working wireless router which I use at home and for good measure I tried a never-used-before router which is not wireless), and the WiMax modem on the roof...

Now I had been using this same DVR for a long time with the same settings. It always worked, but this time I'm in a different place and using a different modem.

Previously I never thought of accessing the DVR through LAN since I never needed to and I had the DVR software to access it comfortably through the net. So I never tried to access it through web browser either. I just accessed it through DVR software from any place in the world and I was happy with that.

Now I moved the DVR to here. Instead of a cable modem I'm using this WiMax HES-319M (it's a type of modem which kinda connects through repeaters... the speed is really crappy like 1Mbps or less, and occasionally it goes up to the 7Mbps I'm supposed to be paying for... but I got no choice there) I don't think internet speed is preventing me from logging in the cctv... especially since I can't log in through LAN either.

This is the modem I'm using, it's not the usual one which is indoors and connected by cable or dsl, it's like an antenna and it apparently connects through some repeater system:

[​IMG]

That's why I'm thinking I'm missing something somewhere. I mean I checked the cables, rebooted pc, rebooted modem, tried 2 routers (one wifi and one wired with no wifi), made sure all firewalls were turned off (of all modems and routers and I even turned off windows firewall for good measure), put the DVR's IP in DMZ, triple-checked DVR settings 999 times.. tried to connect through LAN... nothing is working and it's driving me crazy :cry:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  14. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to work out how it's all set up from the information you've given.

Is the CCTV camera/s IP based or does it plug directly into the DVR? And then do you access the DVR through the network?

If you can get it working in LAN first and then focus on getting it going on WAN, i don't believe you'd need to get port fowarding going for LAN but then i suppose it comes down to how locked down the router is.

15. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    if you can't connect through lan, it has nothing to do with port forwarding. it doesn't matter the settings,port forwarding is for wan -> lan connections only