1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

possible for a on-board sound to degrade?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Phxprovost, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    I primarily use headphones while on my pc and over the past few days I've come to notice the volume level is degrading significantly and now with all levels maxed its around half of what it used to be. At first i came to the conclusion that maybe i finally became deaf due to my stupidity but a quick test on my H/A receiver and even my zune with the same headphones crushed that possibility so i began testing different drivers and system settings, front audio and nothing is fixing the issue. So my only thought is maybe the on-board sound is dying and i might have to give in and purchase a sound card or am i missing something?

2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    You tested your headphones with different sound sources, but you didn't test your board with different sound systems?

3. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    the only sound system i have for the pc has a built in amp....so thats not going to help much :(

4. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Uh...try RightMark Audio Analyzer?

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sure its not a software issue? equaliser in your sound settings/media player fucking things up?

i know on realtek, if you say, boost the bass in the EQ - it actually lowers everything else, instead of raising the bass.