1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible global cooling?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Damn_Smooth, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    then you buy it because you want to buy it, regardless of the messenger or because of it, im not sure. neither seems logical to me. see, i can say the same thing. look how far we've gotten.

2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    So because Al Gore is a hypocritical dipshit that's an excuse for everyone else to act irresponsibly as well? But you did hit it on the head as to why this is such a political issue--the distribution of wealth and dictating of consumption and lifestyle and such. It's a complicated mess, that's for sure.

3. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    if a politician steps up the plate with a hand full of well respected and unbiased and unfunded (both corporate and government) scientists and shows me bullet proof evidence that humans are destroying the ecosystem on a global scale and that they will be the first to change their lifestyles AND they don't want create a massive global bureaucracy around it subjugating the US to shitty international regulation then i will admit that i was wrong about the entire thing.

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No but the fact Al Gore is full of shit and his cronies are backed by "green" lobbyist makes any normal person question the whole movement.

5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I understand your point of view. But sometimes you gotta do a little bad to get some good done. So let's let them build up in numbers, so more of 'em can drown!

Well, they are trying to create money out of nothing, which is kinda what money is nowadays, anyway...something has to attract the flies, and flies have jobs too, you know...

I think maybe taking the magnifying glass off of the picture, and looking at the full view, gives a different perspective. You can nitpick about any part of it you want, but the fact remains that with the money behond the marketing there continuously, eventually they might have some success. It's not as forward-thinking as bitcoins, for new currency, I think, but it's still an idea.

Be that as it may, who cares if it gets colder? Put on a jacket, maybe?

6. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    warming is actually better for the planet than cooling. warm environments mean easier growing for farmers. a rise in 1-2 degrees would be better than a drop of 1-2 degrees.

7. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Political debates like this should not be on this forum.

BTW we have had this discussion before in another thread. Lets see sources if this is an actual scientific debate we are trying to mediate here. There are many lies and bad sources regarding global warming passed around and funded by energy companies. Lets not let propanganda ruin what should be a scientific debate.

A computer forum is a horrible place for a scientific debate about global warming in the first place.

8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was allowing the thread to continue. Disagreement and political views are bound to end up in the realm of science, and that isn't even touching on how religion can play into such matters. As long as sand isn't being thrown down anyone's panties I am gong to allow this to run its course;)

cadaveca and Damn_Smooth say thanks.
  9. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    So now Al gore created global warming and the internet? Damn, that guy's a genius.

11. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    Al Gore will save your polar bears!
    [​IMG]

12. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Except for the trees, grass, algae, and everything else that lives off of CO2. :(

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    Chemtrail`s isn't helping with the whole global warming either. It is a scientifically documented that Chemtrails contain high levels of aluminum oxide. Water quality tests in California have shown levels of aluminum oxide to be 60,000 ( sixty thousand) times the safe levels as established by the EPA. search "What In The World Are They Spraying" on youtube. Aluminum Oxide attaches to receptors in the brain permanently. Its' effect is cumalative. Alzheimers Disease, as well as some forms cancer are linked to Aluminum Oxide.

14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I call BS. First, how do you "scientifically document" chemtrails when they are theoretically highly classified military operations? Fly in an aircraft behind it and collect samples? a) the aircraft releasing it would notice this and likely call in fighters and b) aircraft are made of aluminium so what's to say the aircraft itself didn't contaminiate the sample?

Water quality in California is bad because it is scarce except in the Napa Valley (it has to be transported long distances over/under land). That aluminium oxide can easily be contributed to the water pipes, sepage of water into water pains, mixed sewage/storm drain systems, and inadequate filtration/water purification systems.

There's more evidence to suggest metals (including aluminum) have nothing to do with Alzheimer's Disease than do

Now, to the point. I think if there is "global warming" due to CO2, aircraft are the primary cause. Why? They inject CO2 way up in the atmosphere where trees, grasses, and algae can't reach it to clean it up. Additionally, as far as a green house effect is concerned, the CO2 is more effective the higher it is in the atmosphere. Air is thin up there so the more O2 converted to CO2, the more effective the green house effect.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Don't talk silly please. Refering to a "new world order" is utter BS when mentioning a former US presidential candidate. We are not talking about hostile takeovers by Stalin or by fictional creatures from outerspace.

Years before Al Gore published his movie, I and fellow Dutch teens were already educated on geological periods, plate tectonics, weather & climate and indeed the thoughts about global warming.

The point of those who believe in GW is that the amount of CO2 and CH4 is problematic. Like fat; a certain minimum of it is essential but too much of it is being regarded as problematic.

DaedalusHelios says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mentioning Alex Jones or anything on Alex Jones crackpot website on TPU S&T forum is worthy of a two week ban. You have been warned . . . ;) :D

Seriously though. Don't do it again. :shadedshu

Feel free to post your pseudoscience on GN. Those kooks love it. :D

DaedalusHelios and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  17. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    So you'd wait not only for bulletproof evidence - which was apparently researched with foodstamps, no less- but for the evidence - which we've already established is bulletproof- to come from a non-hypocritical politician? A politician who's going to change his life for no money should be easy to find after you find those scientists who can live and do research and pay off their student loans by thinking happy thoughts. Good plan, talk about self-fulfilling prophecy. That'll never happen, by design. It's a self contradictory statement. If you could live forever you'd be living on a planet that looks like mars with a lot more buildings long before you find that.

I'll admit that 2+2=4 when you can prove 2+2=1
    is a statement with about as much plausibility

Why does the fact that someone uses science for nefarious purposes suddenly make the science invalid? And why does science have to come from a politician? Examine the science. You don't like where the funding comes from for this study? Look like a conflict of interest? Fine, disregard it. Look for other science, for or against. Don't disregard an entire ideology or practice just because there are idiots who promote it. You wouldn't have a whole lot of activities left if you applied that practice to daily life. You could start with breathing for instance. Not much'd matter after that one.

Here's how we get your proof, either way on the subject. Take the studies done, even just take the studies done before Al Gore was born if you feel like it. Form an opinion. Discuss. You may be wrong with this outdated information, but at least you're considering something other than politics. Fuck politics. If you're going to mindlessly argue, at least have something to back it up, even if you're blatantly wrong at least I can respect that. Otherwise you're just delivering the mail :D

Al Gore is a jackass is not mutually exclusive to science exists supporting claims he's made.

For the record: I'm Canadian, and Al Gore is too boring to pay attention to. I don't even really know what his views are, and I don't care. I don't need to judge every politician in existance's stance on an issue to form an opinion. I tend to prefer facts, or in lieu of that, I just fuck off and play Meat Boy.

18. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^^^
    Excellent post!!!

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    That is a funny analogy talking to Americans given our obesity rate.

Are you warning us about GW and being too fat at the same time? :laugh:

Cutting out corn based sweeteners and trans fat would help us in that regard.

20. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    Jesus, I'm glad I went to bed when I did. This has really turned into a shitstorm.

Anyway, I can't respond to everything, so I'll pick one example of glaringly wrong information.

That is not true. The 70's Ice Age Prediction myth was predominantly media based - not science based. The vast majority of scientific papers in the 70s predicted global warming.

I agree with one thing though ... you should not trust any media organisation when they come out and report on a climate study. Go look at this most recent example that started this thread off - scientific study says the sun is going into a low-activity phase, media reports that the world is heading for an ice-age; precisely the opposite to what the scientists actually said. Don't trust the mainstream media.

I don't know where you got this from, but 2010 was tied with 2005 as the hottest year on record. 2009 is about the 6th hottest year, with the rest of the last decade filling out the top 11 (1998 is the interloper at #3).

EDIT: For the record before this clusterfuck of politics continues: I don't give a fuck about Al Gore either. I've never watched the doco thing he did, nor do I care too. As m4gicfour said, fuck politics - let's stick to what the science actually says and ignore the bullshit that gets in the way of it.

Chevalr1c and DaedalusHelios say thanks.
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  22. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    I don't care much for Greenpeace. Damned hippies' hearts are in the right place, but they would collapse this world into chaos faster than global warming will if we let them run the place.

23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  24. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I'd say that's true though. There's too many damn people on this rock to be sustainable.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Really?! Who's up for an euthanasia party!