1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible HDD failing?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jacko28, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Jacko28 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

Got a problem with a HDD of mine. It started with extremely slow boot times, didn't think much of it but whilst on HL2 I began experiencing extreme lock ups, eventually it completely froze and I was forced to CTD. Re-started the computer, which took ages to turn off. Re-started it and it ran CHKDSK, it ran this on my second HDD(d: drive. doesn't have OS on) it went through the process, failed and then aborted. It then loaded to desktop but doesn't load any programs installed on that HDD. I Decided to do a system restore as I had installed absorbs driver a few days earlier but I got the same results. After another re-boot, any programs on the affected drive now display as White default folders on my desktop and I can't even access it through mycomputer without it freezing.

Sound like a failed or failing HDD?

This is a real rough post for now, about to leave for work, but when I get back I'll input some finer details.

Many thanks

Jacko28

2. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Use the manufacturers tools to do a proper test on it, sounds like your on the right track

3. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    does the hdd act very slow?
    does it give some click sound or buzzing or something not usual
    How long have u used that?
    Try to test the hdd but if it started sound like clicking your hdd is on trouble