1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible MB issue?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by SANEagent, Dec 23, 2007.

1. SANEagent New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure what would cause it, but my brothers computer (which I built for him) has had some issues. Let me give you the back story. The PSU i got for it went bad so I sent it back to newegg and got a new one. When I put it in and flip the switch on the back (before I press the power button on the front) the entire computer turns on and wont boot. It is like there is a short somewhere. I tried the PSU in my computer on it and the smae thing happens. I tested the RAM, video card and processor and they are all fine. So Im thinking its the MB, but I wanted to ask here before I order a new one.

Thanks for the help,

SANEagent

2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Wait a mniute... you say the PSU does the same thing in two different computers, and you still think it's his motherboard? :nutkick:

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    First off, welcome to the forums. The second is what do you mean by that? Do you mean that the psu does the SAME thing as in your brothers rig? If so then its a bad Psu... But, what we need to know to help you out a little better is the system...

4. SANEagent New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about the confusion

No No, lol. Sorry about not making it more clear. I tried a NEW (or second PSU) in the computer that isnt working, a PSU I KNOW works, and the broken computer is still broken.

Ohh, and btw, I'm not new to the forums...but I have not been on in a while and i cant seem to find my account. I thought it was under this same name...but IDK. I love it here.

The broken computer is an AMD Athlon 64 3200 system with 1gig of OCZ DDR400 memory, a 200Gig HD and some cheap PCI slot video card (cant remember the number but its Nvida). The MB is a Jetway 939 GT.

Do you think it could be a short somewhere? Maybe one of the pegs came out and the MB is hitting the metal backplate? Im not really sure what would cause the issue.

5. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    all right, I didn't know...
    Check all the parts you have and see if anything is bowing the mobo. I don't think anything you've said would, but that could be something. Then if you think its a short, redo the mobo. take it out, and check the mobo up and down.
    Then when you get done with that just put it together again...

6. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    When you say it doesn't boot do you mean you get the logo screen but doesn't boot or it just turns on and thats it?

7. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh. i had my old mobo short once and i don't know if its the same with all shorts but i had a little IC chip near the cpu light up red and was burnt so you can try looking at the modo when its on for something like that

8. SANEagent New Member

Thanks Received:
    It just turns on and thats it. Im going to try taking the mobo out and checking it. I hope it works after that lol. I want to get back to playing some WoW.

9. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    All right.. I'll be asking a friend or two about it and see if I can help you.
    Good luck

10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Try running the computer outside the case, that will ensure you nothing is shorting...

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. SANEagent New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay...I took everything out and checked the backplate. I even put the pins back in that hold the MB off the case. Redid all the wires etc. And it still wont work.

I'm thinking its the mobo now.

That sucks.

12. SANEagent New Member

Thanks Received:
    I gave the specs in a reply farther up. The ones you would need anyway. The mobo is a Jetway 939 GT and the RAM is 2x OCZ PC3200 512MB El Dual CH Gold Edition. I also tested the system with Patriot 1GB PC3200 sticks that it used to work with. Both sets of RAM work in my computer, so the RAM is fine.

13. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you test the hard drive?

14. SANEagent New Member

Thanks Received:
    No. What is the best way to do that? Take it and put it in another computer as a slave? Or what.

15. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah slave it on another computer and see what happens. If it works change the slot it was connected to, to a different one if possible. Oh and make sure the jumper on it is in the correct spot.

16. SANEagent New Member

Thanks Received:
    K, the hard drive works fine as a slave in my pc.

17. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well then theres only one other thing i can think of and that is to reset your BIOS. If that doesn't work then i would say it is your mobo. and can you find a link to that mobo that has straight down view of it?

18. SANEagent New Member

Thanks Received:
    The picture is here http://www.jetway.com.tw/jetway/system/productshow.asp?id=112&proname=939GT4-SLI-G-VC

Hope that helps. It IS that mobo but without the digital display on the lower left hand side. I took the battery out to reset the bios but I cant remember what jumper to move to do it.

19. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    From the picture it looks like the jumper right next to the battery. should say something like CMOS under the jumper if you have the manual to it it'll say what jumper is to clear CMOS. And that looks like the same motherboard that was on newegg and it got some reviews that had the same problem your having so if that doesn't work then it is most likely the motherboard.

Most of the time the jumper is next to or close to the battery.

20. SANEagent New Member

Thanks Received:
    K, i reset BIOS and its still messed up. I will just get another mobo sent in. Thanks for the help all.

21. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh well least you tried. can't help that electronics are so sensitive. usually a good slap to the side fixes everything.:roll: Hell try that since everything else failed.

22. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    a bent pin on the cpu does a nice job of turning things on and nothing else.. ;)

ask me how i know.. :)

trog

23. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    yes its a bad motherboard.

when a psu goes out it can short out other components, most of the time its the motherboard but run a good stress test on your ram and hard drive in another computer to be sure its only the motherboard that was damaged.

i would not recommend you continue messing with it or you could blow the new psu or short out the other components at any time so dont risk it.

you diagnosed it correctly, the tip off was it turning itself on, that tells you right there that something is shorted.

24. Demos_sav

Demos_sav New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. My 3.2 socket 478 P4 had about 20 pins bent and 1 missing. I even managed to straighten them up and my 3.2 only boots up at 1.66GHz or 2.13GHz. Now I need to get some wire to put in the cpu socket (but I am too lame to bother right now)

25. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    i could be wrong but i believe he is talking about a "working" computer that the psu went bad on and now he cant get it to work with the new psu or the psu from his own computer.

correct me if im wrong SANEagent