1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible Mod Gone Bad

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by kiddagoat, Jan 24, 2011.

1. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I purchased a XFX 6950 from Microcenter about 4 days ago. I followed your guide as listed on techpowerup and have successfully flashed my card to a 6970 using the XFX BIOS listed in your website’s collection. It appears to be working well and I do not have any artifacting whatsoever. The temperatures on the GPU at 36C idle and 58C load. The fan is at 30%. The CPU is at 27C idle and 45C under load.

I noticed last night that while playing TF2 and CS:S I would randomly get a BSOD. Each time it was a different error and according to Faultwire it points to a possible device driver or my CPU is hosed.

I do have a Phenom II 970 BE OC’d to 4.0Ghz and I returned it back to stock after the first BSOD. I tried again and it BSOD on me again.

I am starting to think the card is going bad or the drivers aren’t working right. I cannot even run IntelBurnTest without it locking up or BSOD on me.

I have a 850W Thermaltake TR2 PSU and I should be fine unless over the past 2 years of it running 24/7 has caused it some harm.

Would you say my instability is the card or the CPU??

2. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a different video card to try?

kiddagoat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  3. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    Firstly, welcome to TPU. Hopefully we'll all be able to chip in and help out.

Secondly, go to your userCP and fill in your system specs on the left side and be sure to check the box for displaying it so we can know everything you're working on.

Third, do you have a separate video card lying around that you could pop back in to see if the bsods still happen?

Do you remember any specifics from the error code too?

kiddagoat says thanks.
  4. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I upgraded from a pair of 5770s in Crossfire and I never had any problems with those.

I looked around inside Event Viewer and this is what I pulled up for why IntelBurnTest crashes

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 1/23/2011 12:49:11 AM
    Event ID: 1005
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Buddha-PC
    Description:
    Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program linpack64.exe because of this error.

Program: linpack64.exe
    File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
    User Action
    1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
    2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
    - It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
    - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
    3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
    4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
    5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
    Error value: 00000000
    Disk type: 0

Could I try to redownload the program and try again???

BSOD Errors:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
    Date: 1/22/2011 9:37:28 PM
    Event ID: 1001
    Task Category: None
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa8008f79028, 0x00000000b6002000, 0x000000002d000175). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

Date: 1/23/2011 9:22:02 AM
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003d (0xfffff8800e11c0b0, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff800038d51dd). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

Date: 1/22/2011 10:13:50 PM
    Computer: BUDDHA-PC
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff800038eb8fd, 0xfffff880027665c8, 0xfffff88002765e20). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.

All my other errors point to a possible hardware defect.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Flip the switch and use the none modifide bios and see if the problem goes away.. Last time i got a 124 error was due to ram on the mobo

kiddagoat says thanks.
  6. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I'd say ram, but to be sure do as other's suggested and flip on the backup bios. If that solves the problem, try going back to the 6970 bios and just turning down the clock speed.

kiddagoat says thanks.
  7. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    Okay I ran Memtest for about an hour and no errors of any kind.

I tried lowering my clock speeds but I see that with the XFX Bios, the core can be lowered to 800 but the Memory can't be lowered past 1375mhz. Should I use Rivatuner or something??

8. Jeager

Thanks Received:
    Just my thought but I'm not sure one hour of memtest is enough especially if you have 8GB

For your memory use AB or Trixx

kiddagoat says thanks.
  9. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    try removing a couple of mem modules and running the games. im pretty sure 8gb is not needed. try with 4gb/2gb

kiddagoat says thanks.
  10. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I appreciate everyone's insights and thoughts. I played around some more with my system and after finding that watchdog error I took it upon myself to fully remove all the Radeon Drivers and roll them back to 10.12a hotfix.

I was using the 11.1a leaked drivers. I tried furmark and seen that my GPU was getting around 90C but the fan wasn't kicking in. I turned the fan up to 75% and my temps never got above 60C in Furmark.

I have had the ram for well over a year and never had any troubles with it... hell it is speced to 1600 and I was running it at 1333.

I got that corrected and my OC of 4.0Ghz is back on.

I have the PowerTune on +20% and kept the default 6970 clocks. Ever since I reloaded the drivers I haven't had any BSODs or lockups.

Played AvP for a hour and tried TF2 and CS:S. None of those games locked up like they did the other night.

I do believe I might be getting a new PSU in the next couple of days just to be on the safe side.

Would you guys recommend the 1250W Sparkle, 1200W Toughpower from Thermaltake, or the 1200W BFG Tech PSU. I know BFG Tech is out of business but I always get the instore replacement plans to help my hardware keep the value and make my upgrades much easier.

11. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    Why change the power supply? It is more than enough for your current setup, and it was not what was causing your issues.

12. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    Because I might be getting a second card and going through this experiment again. Computers are alot of fun, especially when I can play with them :D.

I have never really had a high end machine and I figure I might as well go big doing it.

13. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    CPU or RAM, definitely not video card. InterlBurnTest shouldn't use the GPU at all, so if it is causing crashes then it is the CPU or the RAM. I would say RAM, only because it is more likely to fail than a CPU.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  14. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Agree - all the BSOD are different. This is RAM errors. Since he has the RAM running slow, it fails the burn test and if it passes memtest, I'd say it's the memory controller.

So, bump up CPU volts or slow down OC.

15. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    Hey after I checked my RAM for about 9 passes in MemTest I went back into Windows to try IBT again.

I noticed in CPU-Z that my core voltage would spike to 1.430V and I contacted AMD. My CPU out of the box was volted at 1.4V and according to AMD that is the uppermost limit of operating voltage in my CPU and that the spikes could be causing the crashes.

I turned the OC down to stock because all I did was change the multiplier and I ran IBT again. Doing that the voltage remained constant and the system ran through just fine.

So far so good, it would appear that it is an unstable OC causing the problems. I am really iffy about the voltage because why would the chip be on the upper limit when most of the ones I have seen are at 1.325V.

The AMD guy said try to turn it down and I haven't done that yet.

16. SvB4EvA

SvB4EvA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, when you run something as stressful as ITB your voltage should be drooping not spiking. I suspect that you have not set a fixed voltage in your BIOS, if it is set to auto, when you stress the CPU your mobo is supplying more voltage automatically. When you are overclocking, you dont want your motherboard doing this. Set your voltage to a fixed 1.325 volts in your BIOS (or what ever voltage is normal for your chip). Run IBT again, if you crash, raise the voltage as small of an increment that your board supports, and try again. Do this until you are either stable or you have reached a voltage you are not comfortable with running on your chip. If it is the latter, you will have to reduce your OC.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  17. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    Hey fellas, I didn't know if I needed to started a new thread but instead decided to repost on an old one.

I had a BSoD last night :

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
    0x00000116 the file atikmdag.sys was the cause.

I am assuming that the drivers some how got corrupted and I am in the process of reinstalling them.

Also, after restarting the computer I notice now a clicking sound coming from the chassis when the Starting Windows screen appears. It is *click* *click* like a monitor switching signal or picking up a signal but it is coming from the chassis. Windows loads and I never hear the sound again.

there was another BSoD about a possible memory error and the above ATI Driver file was the culprit.

Any thoughts fellas??? Should I get some replacement cards???

18. SvB4EvA

SvB4EvA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lets start small, you are running in crossfire mode correct? Lets just re-seat your video cards and memory. Just pull them out and put them back in, sometimes it can be as simple as that. Give it a try and come back.

19. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I went ahead and pulled my cards and memory. I even pulled the sound card out and reseated everything.

I swapped the video cards and when I rebooted no more clicking. and I got to the desktop. No BSoD so far.

I installed the 11.2 drivers and rebooted. No clicking but when I adjusted the power to +20% on both cards and rebooted, I heard the clicking again and it sounded like the power supply.

I have sufficient power but wonder why the clicking. It does it when I toggle the switch in the back off before unplugging it.

20. SvB4EvA

SvB4EvA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, if the clicking noise IS coming from your PSU, its most likely the voltage regulator doing it. This does not always mean the PSU is bad tho. It may be your mother board causing it to make the clicking sound. Start off simple again and just unplug all the PSU plugs and plug them back in. If its still happening, is it possible for you to try the PSU on another computer to try to reproduce the problem? If you can and it does not do it, I would say your motherboard is the culprit.

21. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you considered the potential of v-ram problems?

Had similar set of error messages and symptoms on my 5770 after I ran it's memory at 1445 ( x 4 due to grdr5 obviously) using ramsinks that were dusty on the bottom <_<

I'm thinking the issue is your memory voltage got set to 6970 levels and maybe your memory didn't like it.

Easy enough to tell though, if other trouble shooting fails then try blowing a fan directly on the back of the card and do something that would normally make you crash.

If you don't crash, there's your problem. ( also requires very little faffing or potential damages !)

22. Jamborhgini313

Jamborhgini313 New Member

Thanks Received:
    tr2? that psu is quite bad.

23. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I updated my system since the original post, I have a 1250W Sparkle Gold Series.

I was playing with my system today and I haven't had anymore ATI Driver issues or BSoD but noticed when I switched from my headphones to my speakers within the ASUS control panel the clicking sound returns.

It could very well be the sound card switching to the appropriate mode when Windows starts up.

I will keep testing and playing with it

24. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    After further investigation it turns out that the sound cards was the reason for the clicking and the only time my system has crashed since the reinstall of the drivers and cards was when I was playing Black Ops.

I encountered the:
    Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
    0x00000116 the file atikmdag.sys was the cause.

So far it is only Black Ops that is causing my computer issues... CS:S, Monday Night Combat, R6Vegas 2, Bad Company 2, and just about every other game I play is fine.

25. SvB4EvA

SvB4EvA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try turning up your GPUs fan manually before you run the game.