1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible to Build Laptop like we build a desktop??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MxPhenom 216, Mar 13, 2011.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible to do this. I was just wondering because this kid at school hes a sophmore(Im a senior) says he builds laptops. Do laptops have sockets for the CPU or do you have to solder all that including the GPU??

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Barebone laptops exist that require a CPU, RAM, HDD, etc. There are several boutique companies that assemble custom laptops from barebones made by Clevo, Sager, Arima, etc. Most laptops have a mobile CPU socket but most have GPUs soldered to the motherboard (with the exception of high-end models).

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Most laptops you can change the CPU, very few you can do the GPU.

Most the time all you can change is CPU, RAM, and HDD that's about it. And most of the time even thats pretty limited.

4. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    to my knowledge, 99% of laptops have all major components soldered on and no-one without a full set of professional equipment could do much with them.

High end laptops have some room, I don't know about CPU or GPU but things like RAM and hard drives can be changed/replaced.

that kid is lying through his teeth if he says he is building a laptop from scratch. he is probably selling junk and claiming to have built it/ modified it. I can slap an i7 sticker on anything I want, doesn't affect performance.

5. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    yeah and then this other guy came in and was like yeah someone stole my CPU. i was like who in the right of mind would steal just the CPU and even then. isnt it soldered to the motherboard

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    how does he know the CPU is whats gone, it may not have been soldered, but who would go through the trouble when it's a LAPTOP; steal the whole thing, it's mobile for a reason :banghead:

7. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I know really!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Someone stole his CPU??? :wtf: Yea that sounds abit odd. Naaa most are not soldered, all the ones i have opened up i can remove the CPU, even my old 2003 machine with a P4 has been removed a few times.

9. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am a cpu ninja thief!
    Most laptops the cpu is not soldered, but they are really not as modify-able as a pc. I have rebuilt a couple laptops, almost fromscratch. Bought all new chassis parts and keyboards and screens etc...only thing i re-used is the mobo. Rather fun, IF you can find the parts for the specific chassis your working on, which can be tricky.